Re: Existentialism is Humanism

  • Tony Basa
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
      Sometime ago I tried to read Sartre's Being and Nothingness but could not even finish
      more than a few chapters. Maybe it's my lack of foundation on the subject so I am put it at
      the bottom of my reading list for a future attempt of maybe reading it again.

      Would you be able to recommend a smaller book that's written just for my kind? <wink>

      Tony

      --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "spiritual_truth07" <spiritual_truth07@...>
      wrote:

      > The philosophical movement called existentialism is most explicitly
      > defined by Jean Paul Sartre as a
      >
      > "...a doctrine that under human, life is possible...which affirms
      > that every truth and every action imply an environment and human
      > subjectivity".
      >
      > he continues,
      >
      > "...man is all the time outside of himself; it is in projecting and
      > losing himself, beond himslf that he makes man to exist; and, on the
      > other hand, it is by pursuing transcendent aims that he himself able
      > to exist".
      >
      > "...existentialism would not exhaust itself into the demonstration of
      > God's existence".
      >
      > and that the main conception of man is,
      >
      > "existence precedes essence"
      >

      > From the above thoughts of Sartre we can see that the philosophy of
      > existentialism is not a doctrine promoting human life to live in
      > despair! or plunge himself into hopelessness upon finding that God's
      > existence, after all, is not the ultimate aim of the human life.
      >
      > It is not also a revolt against pure metaphysical abstraction
      > extracting the human strength into pure negative philosophizing which
      > could sometimes result into boredom or despair. The truth is that
      > existentialism aims human to turn into its subjective self as being
      > thrown into this world from his nothing-origin and by acting onto
      > himself that he can create essence to himself.
      >
      > Later of further discussion on this issue.
      >

      > regards,
      >
      > spiritual truth

    • doug john
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
        Before theists get carried away using the famous philospher to bolster their beliefs they should consider the following from Wikipedia

        Cheers Doug

        ==============

        [edit] Sartre and Communism The first period of Sartre's career, defined by Being and Nothingness (1943), gave way to a second period as a politically engaged activist and intellectual. His 1948 work Les Mains Sales (Dirty Hands) in particular explored the problem of being both an intellectual at the same time as becoming "engaged" politically. He embraced communism, though never officially joining the Communist party, and took a prominent role in the struggle against French rule in Algeria. He became perhaps the most eminent supporter of the FLN in the Algerian War and had an Algerian mistress, Arlette Elkaïm, who became his adopted daughter in 1965. He opposed the Vietnam War and, along with Bertrand Russell and others, organized a tribunal intended to expose U.S. war crimes, which became known as the Russell Tribunal in 1967. Its impact was limited.

        As a fellow-traveller, Sartre spent much of the rest of his life attempting to reconcile his existentialist ideas about free will with communist principles, which taught that socio-economic forces beyond our immediate, individual control play a critical role in shaping our lives. His major defining work of this period, the Critique de la raison dialectique (Critique of Dialectical Reason) appeared in 1960. Sartre's emphasis on the humanist values in the early works of Marx led to a dispute with the leading Communist intellectual in France in the 1960s, Louis Althusser, who claimed that the ideas of the young Marx were decisively superseded by the "scientific" system of the later Marx. Sartre went to Cuba in the 60's to meet Fidel Castro and Ernesto "Che" Guevara. After Guevara's death he said that Guevara was the most complete human being of his age. This is actually noted in the trailers for the film The Motorcycle Diaries which documents Guevara's travels around South
        America as a young man.

        =============

        spiritual_truth07 <spiritual_truth07@...> wrote:
        The philosophical movement called existentialism is most explicitly
        defined by Jean Paul Sartre as a

        "...a doctrine that under human, life is possible...which affirms
        that every truth and every action imply an environment and human
        subjectivity".

        he continues,

        "...man is all the time outside of himself; it is in projecting and
        losing himself, beond himslf that he makes man to exist; and, on the
        other hand, it is by pursuing transcendent aims that he himself able
        to exist".

        "...existentialism would not exhaust itself into the demonstration of
        God's existence".

        and that the main conception of man is,

        "existence precedes essence"

        From the above thoughts of Sartre we can see that the philosophy of

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
          Before theists get carried away quoting the famous philospher they should consider this from Wikipedia

          Cheers Doug

          ===========

          ============

[...]

          America as a young man.Guevara's death he said that Guevara was the most complete human being of his age. This is actually noted in the trailers for the film The Motorcycle Diaries which documents Guevara's travels around South America as a young man.

          =============

          spiritual_truth07 <spiritual_truth07@...> wrote:
          The philosophical movement called existentialism is most explicitly
          defined by Jean Paul Sartre as a

          "...a doctrine that under human, life is possible...which affirms
          that every truth and every action imply an environment and human
          subjectivity".

          he continues,

          "...man is all the time outside of himself; it is in projecting and
          losing himself, beond himslf that he makes man to exist; and, on the
          other hand, it is by pursuing transcendent aims that he himself able
          to exist".

          "...existentialism would not exhaust itself into the demonstration of
          God's existence".

          and that the main conception of man is,

          "existence precedes essence"

          From the above thoughts of Sartre we can see that the philosophy of
          existentialism is not a doctrine promoting human life to live in
          despair! or plunge himself into hopelessness upon finding that God's
          existence, after all, is not the ultimate aim of the human life.

          It is not also a revolt against pure metaphysical abstraction
          extracting the human strength into pure negative philosophizing which
          could sometimes result into boredom or despair. The truth is that
          existentialism aims human to turn into its subjective self as being
          thrown into this world from his nothing-origin and by acting onto
          himself that he can create essence to himself.

          Later of further discussion on this issue.

          regards,

          spiritual truth

        • spiritual_truth07
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2007
            Dear Tony,

            As for this moment I dont know of 'smaller books' that I can
            recommend to you into understanding the philosophy of existentialism.
            There are many short articles though examining the philosophy of
            existentialism but not of what to be an existentialist or containing
            the core-doctrines of existentialism.

            It is necessary to study Kierkegaard, Martin Heidegger,
            Sartre,Nietzsche, Buber,Tillich, Camus, Berdyaev, Dostoyevsky and
            other main proponents of existentialism.

            Kierkegaard's book 'Either/Or' is a great book where he beautifully
            illustrates life in three stages, the aesthetic, ethical and
            religious. Heidegger's 'Being and Time' is full of original
            terminologies that really belong to the language of existentialism.
            He did not consider himself as an existentialist but his thoughts
            speak though upon reading his books. Obviously, Sartre is the most
            well known existentialist philosopher. No further to say on him in
            this brief message. Buber and Tillich were two theist
            existentialist. Berdyaev has good essays on the meaning of
            death.Camus' novel 'La Peste'(The Plague) captures the human
            condition in its irrationality or 'absurdity'. Dostoyevsky
            (Dostoevsky)is famous of the statement, 'If there's no
            God,everything is permitted' from his book 'The Brothers
            Karamazov'.We may not know in this moment if Dostoyevsky believes
            the statement itself from his novel book. But the statement is an
            existentialism-affliction!

            regards,

            spiritual truth

            --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Basa" <paetenian@...>