Rebuilding the Atheist Organization

  • genevieve ruth
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2007
      Hello everyone

      I am Vera, Initially I am doing a thesis on the phenomenology of the
      paradigm shift of Filipino atheists. As I go along with my research,
      I have learned that the attempts to make the group to a full-blown
      organization did not materialize because of certain things. In
      addition, I have learned that there are actually no nationally
      recognized organization focusing on freethinking.

      I know that there has been some alleged problems with regard to john
      and other issues that stem out that occurrence sometime ago. However
      I am appealing to you guys to support this new attempt to establish
      the organization.

      I perceive that people has a duty not only for himself but for
      humanity in general. If we could establish the organization and make
      projects and other long term goals that would help us make people
      aware of another paradigm which a few of us are only aware of, we will
      be doing a great service to our country.
      For so long, freethinkers has been armchair thinkers and the exchange
      of knowledge and other ideas has been limited only around our circle.
      The utility that will be brought forth with this attempt could be
      very significant not only to us but to other people and the future.

      Majority of the Filipinos are not given so much of a choice to think
      otherwise. Since the socialization of our countrymen stem out of our
      religious and patriarchal culture, majority of the Filipinos are made
      to obey and not think.

      I am hoping for your support. Tony have expressed his support for the
      organization, I am looking forward for your positive response as well.

      All the best

      ~Vera
    • Tony Basa
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2007
        I also appeal to all members of this list to extend whatever help you
        can to Vera. I think it's always a noble ideal to dream of one day
        having a legal framework that can serve as the vehicle for bringing
        any secular agenda into the mainstream, but with the caveat that no
        personality shall dominate the organization. I myself cannot be a
        member of it due to my own personal reasons but I encourage everyone
        to at least consider meeting with Vera to understand what she is
        trying to accomplish.

        cheers!
        Tony

        genevieve ruth wrote:

        > Hello everyone
        >
        > I am Vera, Initially I am doing a thesis on the phenomenology of the
        > paradigm shift of Filipino atheists. As I go along with my research,
        > I have learned that the attempts to make the group to a full-blown
        > organization did not materialize because of certain things. In
        > addition, I have learned that there are actually no nationally
        > recognized organization focusing on freethinking.
        >
        > I know that there has been some alleged problems with regard to john
        > and other issues that stem out that occurrence sometime ago. However
        > I am appealing to you guys to support this new attempt to establish
        > the organization.
        >
        > I perceive that people has a duty not only for himself but for
        > humanity in general. If we could establish the organization and make
        > projects and other long term goals that would help us make people
        > aware of another paradigm which a few of us are only aware of, we will
        > be doing a great service to our country.
        > For so long, freethinkers has been armchair thinkers and the exchange
        > of knowledge and other ideas has been limited only around our circle.
        > The utility that will be brought forth with this attempt could be
        > very significant not only to us but to other people and the future.
        >
        > Majority of the Filipinos are not given so much of a choice to think
        > otherwise. Since the socialization of our countrymen stem out of our
        > religious and patriarchal culture, majority of the Filipinos are made
        > to obey and not think.
        >
        > I am hoping for your support. Tony have expressed his support for the
        > organization, I am looking forward for your positive response as well.
        >
        > All the best
        >
        > ~Vera

      • boy lason
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2007
          Free coffee and donuts?
        • juhir16
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2007
            I'm looking forward to the establishment of such organization. Count
            me in.

            --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "genevieve ruth"
            <genevieveruthrvillamin@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone
            >
            > I am Vera, Initially I am doing a thesis on the phenomenology of
            the
            > paradigm shift of Filipino atheists. As I go along with my
            research,
            > I have learned that the attempts to make the group to a full-blown
            > organization did not materialize because of certain things. In
            > addition, I have learned that there are actually no nationally
            > recognized organization focusing on freethinking.
            >
            > I know that there has been some alleged problems with regard to
            john
            > and other issues that stem out that occurrence sometime ago.
            However
            > I am appealing to you guys to support this new attempt to establish
            > the organization.
            >
            > I perceive that people has a duty not only for himself but for
            > humanity in general. If we could establish the organization and
            make
            > projects and other long term goals that would help us make people
            > aware of another paradigm which a few of us are only aware of, we
            will
            > be doing a great service to our country.
            > For so long, freethinkers has been armchair thinkers and the
            exchange
            > of knowledge and other ideas has been limited only around our
            circle.
            > The utility that will be brought forth with this attempt could be
            > very significant not only to us but to other people and the future.
            >
            > Majority of the Filipinos are not given so much of a choice to
            think
            > otherwise. Since the socialization of our countrymen stem out of
            our
            > religious and patriarchal culture, majority of the Filipinos are
            made
            > to obey and not think.
            >
            > I am hoping for your support. Tony have expressed his support for
            the
            > organization, I am looking forward for your positive response as
            well.

            > All the best
            >
            > ~Vera

          • Butch Silverio
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2007
              Hi Vera,
              I've not been around this egroup long enough to know about the
              previous obstacles that you encountered in your effort to organize a
              freethinkers group.
              However, I have some suggestions that I hope might help.
              First of all, I think the emphasis should not be made so much on
              atheism as on freethinking and secularism. There is no need to take
              any formal position on the existence or non-existence of god as that
              issue should actually be irrelevant to your proposed organization.
              Besides, we all know how atheism is so misunderstood.
              Secondly, since you obviously intend this organization to be civic in
              character, perhaps the emphases should be placed on preserving
              separation of church and state, on furthering freedom of choice, on
              countering bigotry in any form, and on advancing humanist values.
              Third, it would probably help if you affiliate your proposed
              organization with an international one. I would suggest the
              International Humanist and Ethical Union.
              I can already see how popular you could be with the local princes of
              the Roman Catholic Church. To avoid a resurgence of the Holy
              Inquisition I propose you appoint Mad Doug as your official liaison
              with them ;-)
              Butch
            • Dennis Roldan A. Castillo
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2007
                i may help in such way...it's VERY disappointing why some(or most)
                members do not want to be an active Atheist...personal reason?
                ok,,,

                help me to contact Vera pls...taga Cavite rin pala sya?...

                --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Basa" <paetenian@...>