Re: [pinoy_atheists] spread atheism or espouse tolerance?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
      Between these two choices, I'd rather be spreading atheism - at least that is how I perceive the worldwide movement is threading the way.

      Religion stands on nothing and on non-sense. It encourages superstitions and it creates good human being to be unreasonable and vicious (I have met many in my Forum experience). If I could do something to expose their bankruptcy, then be it so.

      joma

      Tony Basa <paetenian@...> wrote:

      It's been a long time since this has been last asked. Are you for
      spreading atheism by openly engaging the religionists in debates or
      are you for live-and-let-live approach?

      When it comes to religion, I used to think that "live and let live" is
      a nice approach that avoids direct confrontation with the believers
      but if the belief is so stupid, I am for the open engagement, or
      on/about areas where religionist thoughts hold sway. Philippine
      society is soaked in religion and superstition even now that letting
      the religionists and superstitionists run the show is not good for our
      general health as a nation. I hope slowly we can weigh in on the
      public debate concerning policies that have basis on theism but that
      affect us all nonetheless.

      Tony

    • Jonathan Francisco
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
        Does anybody have connections with Studio 23's Y-SPEAK
        program?

        Can we suggest this topic to them for debate
        especially now that the elections are coming and the
        superstitionists are (as so often) sticking their nose
        where it doesn't belong? I mean like 10 commandments
        for voting or choosing a candidate and of course many
        others....

        That's just off my head... :)

        -Jonathan-

        --- Tony Basa <paetenian@...> wrote:

        > It's been a long time since this has been last
        > asked. Are you for
        > spreading atheism by openly engaging the
        > religionists in debates or
        > are you for live-and-let-live approach?
        >
        > When it comes to religion, I used to think that
        > "live and let live" is
        > a nice approach that avoids direct confrontation
        > with the believers
        > but if the belief is so stupid, I am for the open
        > engagement, or
        > on/about areas where religionist thoughts hold sway.
        > Philippine
        > society is soaked in religion and superstition even
        > now that letting
        > the religionists and superstitionists run the show
        > is not good for our
        > general health as a nation. I hope slowly we can
        > weigh in on the
        > public debate concerning policies that have basis on
        > theism but that
        > affect us all nonetheless.
        >
        > Tony

        TV dinner still cooling?
        http://tv.yahoo.com/
      • Benj Espina
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
          Y SPeak is a retarded show. :)

          They have a priest as an arbiter. I'd only trust Probe or I-Witness to
          do an Atheism feature.

          --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Francisco
          <jmfrancisco.geo@...> wrote:

          > Does anybody have connections with Studio 23's Y-SPEAK
          > program?
          >
          > Can we suggest this topic to them for debate
          > especially now that the elections are coming and the
          > superstitionists are (as so often) sticking their nose
          > where it doesn't belong? I mean like 10 commandments
          > for voting or choosing a candidate and of course many
          > others....
          >
          > That's just off my head... :)
          >

          > -Jonathan-

        • Tony Basa
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007
            Benj Espina wrote:

            > Y SPeak is a retarded show. :)
            >
            > They have a priest as an arbiter.
            > I'd only trust Probe or I-Witness to
            > do an Atheism feature.

            Not really related but one priest Joaquin Bernas' opinion is always
            worth reading specially when he writes about the (intent of the)
            constitution.

            Tony