Bible Freak

  • Tony Basa
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
      Columnist Neal Cruz writing about the recent flight to Ilo-ilo when
      the plane developed engine trouble and with JDV as one passenger, on
      JDV:

      "During a crisis, humans pray intensely to God and make many promises
      should he be spared, but once the crisis is over, they forget the
      promises and go back to their old, wicked ways. And JDV is only human.

      But a neighbor, who is a ***Bible freak***, told me at the church
      that the scary flight was a warning from God to Joe. He should heed
      it, he said. He should have already turned a new leaf when his house
      in Makati burned, added my neighbor, but he did not change, and so
      God is giving him another warning. The sudden death of former Press
      Secretary Greg Cendaña, a friend and fellow Panggalatok who was
      helping Joe in his press relations, was also a warning, my neighbor
      continued, but it had no effect on Joe.

      By the same token (my neighbor wasn't finished yet), Typhoon Milenyo
      and the other natural disasters that have visited this country
      recently, were warnings to President Macapagal-Arroyo."

      Read further here (
      http://opinion.inq7.net/inquireropinion/columns/view_article.php?
      article_id=24183) and weep.

      *****

      I never saw "bible freak" printed before in an INQ7.net column. Let's
      see how the BAs will react, if ever.

      Tony
    • nihilus_hedonus
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
        "In the same way," he continued, "the series of natural calamities
        that have been inflicted on us since GMA became President could be
        God's warnings. Have you noticed that they came one after another?
        First, the bird flu and SARS. Then the landslides in Quezon and Aurora
        where many people died, then the frequent floods. Then two volcanoes
        erupting at the same time—that's very unusual. Then came the oil spill
        in the Visayas. Now comes a strong typhoon, with another one right
        behind it. What more warnings do we need? The next one may be Sodom
        and Gomorrah."

        "What is God trying to tell us?" I asked.

        "He is telling GMA to stop her sinful ways." (It is now clear that he
        is no fan of GMA.)

        So God brutally punished the innocent just to tell GMA to stop her
        sinful ways?

        II Chronicles 19:7 - Respect the Lord and make careful decisions, for
        the Lord our God disapproves of INJUSTICE, PARTIALITY, and bribery.

        Job 34:19 - who shows no partiality to princes, and does not take note
        of the rich more than the poor, because all of them are the work of
        his hands?
      • doug john

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
            Hehe. So justice has a different/higher meaning than we humans
            commonly understand it? So the only way to make sense of this is to
            render the concept of justice to be so ductile and malleable so as to
            make it mean whatever one wants it to mean and thus render the concept
            itself meaningless.

            --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, doug john <theadamfamilyoz@...>
            wrote:

            > nihilis,
            >
            > That cannot be true because Gloria like Cory like George W. have
            a direct line with the almighty, they know how he thinks and then
            carry out his instructions. Oh! you bloody atheist of little faith!

            > Regards Doug Ada,m
            >

            > nihilus_hedonus <randyallan@...> wrote:
            > "In the same way," he continued, "the series of natural
            calamities
            > that have been inflicted on us since GMA became President could be
            > God's warnings. Have you noticed that they came one after another?
            > First, the bird flu and SARS. Then the landslides in Quezon and Aurora
            > where many people died, then the frequent floods. Then two volcanoes
            > erupting at the same time—that's very unusual. Then came the oil spill
            > in the Visayas. Now comes a strong typhoon, with another one right
            > behind it. What more warnings do we need? The next one may be Sodom
            > and Gomorrah."
            >
            > "What is God trying to tell us?" I asked.
            >
            > "He is telling GMA to stop her sinful ways." (It is now clear that he
            > is no fan of GMA.)
            >
            > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            >
            > So God brutally punished the innocent just to tell GMA to stop her
            > sinful ways?
            >
            > II Chronicles 19:7 - Respect the Lord and make careful decisions, for
            > the Lord our God disapproves of INJUSTICE, PARTIALITY, and bribery.
            >
            > Job 34:19 - who shows no partiality to princes, and does not take note
            > of the rich more than the poor, because all of them are the work of
            > his hands?

          • Lito Lampitoc
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
              hahaha..

              I remember the wife of my colleague, this past milenyo hurricane brought us
              no electricity and water for almost a week, then while we're drinking at
              porch rain pour hard that made all they're water containers full. He shouted
              "Thank you Lord, you have purpose for this rain, you gave us water". On the
              other side of the town, water is chest high that made some people almost
              drown. I just smiled, and realized, God favors only one person, and the rest
              are sinners, hehe..

              --
              Lito A. Lampitoc
              Managing Partner

            • John the Atheist
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
                When God speak of "justice", He means "judgement".

                Good day,
                John the Atheist

                --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "Lito Lampitoc"
                <ralampitoc@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > behind it. What more warnings do we need? The next one may be
                Sodom
                > > > and Gomorrah."
                > > >
                > > > "What is God trying to tell us?" I asked.
                > > >
                > > > "He is telling GMA to stop her sinful ways." (It is now clear
                that he
                > > > is no fan of GMA.)
                > > >
                > > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                > > >
                > > > So God brutally punished the innocent just to tell GMA to stop
                her
                > > > sinful ways?
                > > >
                > > > II Chronicles 19:7 - Respect the Lord and make careful
                decisions, for
                > > > the Lord our God disapproves of INJUSTICE, PARTIALITY, and
                bribery.

                > > > Job 34:19 - who shows no partiality to princes, and does not
                take note
                > > > of the rich more than the poor, because all of them are the

              • Jonathan Perez
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
                  A lot of people will get justice. Some won't ^_^

                  Judgment day is coming. Of course, not everyone believes it will come.
                  Belief and reality are different, however.

                  _____

                  --- In pinoy_atheists@ <mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <ralampitoc@...> wrote:

                  > hahaha..
                  >
                  > I remember the wife of my colleague, this past milenyo hurricane
                  brought us
                  > no electricity and water for almost a week, then while we're
                  drinking at
                  > porch rain pour hard that made all they're water containers full.
                  He shouted
                  > "Thank you Lord, you have purpose for this rain, you gave us
                  water". On the
                  > other side of the town, water is chest high that made some people
                  almost
                  > drown. I just smiled, and realized, God favors only one person,
                  and the rest
                  > are sinners, hehe..
                  >
                  > On 10/2/06, nihilus_hedonus <randyallan@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hehe. So justice has a different/higher meaning than we humans
                  > > commonly understand it? So the only way to make sense of this is
                  > > render the concept of justice to be so ductile and malleable so
                  as to
                  > > make it mean whatever one wants it to mean and thus render the
                  concept
                  > > itself meaningless.
                  > >
                  > > --- In pinoy_atheists@ <mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com, doug john
                  <theadamfamilyoz@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > nihilis,
                  > > >
                  > > > That cannot be true because Gloria like Cory like George W.
                  have
                  > > a direct line with the almighty, they know how he thinks and then
                  > > carry out his instructions. Oh! you bloody atheist of little
                  faith!

                  > > > Regards Doug Ada,m
                  > > >

                  > > > nihilus_hedonus <randyallan@> wrote:
                  > > > "In the same way," he continued, "the series of
                  natural
                  > > calamities
                  > > > that have been inflicted on us since GMA became President
                  could be
                  > > > God's warnings. Have you noticed that they came one after
                  another?
                  > > > First, the bird flu and SARS. Then the landslides in Quezon
                  and Aurora
                  > > > where many people died, then the frequent floods. Then two
                  volcanoes
                  > > > erupting at the same time-that's very unusual. Then came the
                  oil spill
                  > > > in the Visayas. Now comes a strong typhoon, with another one
                  right
                  > > > behind it. What more warnings do we need? The next one may be
                  Sodom
                  > > > and Gomorrah."
                  > > >
                  > > > "What is God trying to tell us?" I asked.
                  > > >
                  > > > "He is telling GMA to stop her sinful ways." (It is now clear
                  that he
                  > > > is no fan of GMA.)
                  > > >
                  > > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                  > > >
                  > > > So God brutally punished the innocent just to tell GMA to stop
                  her
                  > > > sinful ways?
                  > > >
                  > > > II Chronicles 19:7 - Respect the Lord and make careful
                  decisions, for
                  > > > the Lord our God disapproves of INJUSTICE, PARTIALITY, and
                  bribery.

                  > > > Job 34:19 - who shows no partiality to princes, and does not
                  take note
                  > > > of the rich more than the poor, because all of them are the
                  work of
                  > > > his hands?

                  > > http://www.philippi <http://www.philippineatheists.org/> neatheists.org/
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > --
                  > Lito A. Lampitoc
                  > Managing Partner
                  > Cerberus Technologies
                  > http://www.cerberus <http://www.cerberus-technologies.com>
                  -technologies.com
                  > http://litolampitoc <http://litolampitoc.blogspot.com> .blogspot.com

                • Jonathan Perez
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
                    "He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the
                    just and on the unjust."

                    But not everything that happens is "judgment". Some people like to believe
                    so. That does not make it true. Often, bad things happen as a result of
                    living in a fallen world.

                    --
                    Lito A. Lampitoc
                    Managing Partner
                    Cerberus Technologies
                    http://www.cerberus-technologies.com
                    http://litolampitoc.blogspot.com

                    http://www.philippineatheists.org/
                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • apsalamat
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
                      Malay ba niya kung ang purpose ng diyos eh lunurin yung ibang tao? :)

                      Mas nakakainis yung ganyan mag-isip lalu na pagdating sa sports. Sa
                      totoo lang, may pakialam ba naman kaya ang diyos (kung meron man) sa
                      resulta ng UAAP?

                      Naalala ko tuloy nung nanalo ng best animation ang "Futurama," sabi
                      nung director niya pagtanggap ng Emmy award: "I'd like to thank God
                      because I'm sure he cares about who wins the best cartoon award."

                      > hahaha..
                      >
                      > I remember the wife of my colleague, this past milenyo hurricane
                      brought us
                      > no electricity and water for almost a week, then while we're drinking at
                      > porch rain pour hard that made all they're water containers full. He
                      shouted
                      > "Thank you Lord, you have purpose for this rain, you gave us water".
                      On the
                      > other side of the town, water is chest high that made some people almost
                      > drown. I just smiled, and realized, God favors only one person, and
                      the rest
                      > are sinners, hehe..

                    • angel2bright
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 5, 2006
                        For Jonathan,

                        To assess some of the things you've said:

                        --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Perez"
                        <jonathanperez@...> wrote:

                        > "He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on
                        the just and on the unjust."

                        But it is ONLY to the JUST that he promises his PROTECTION, right? Read
                        Psalms 91. There is nothing, in your entire Bible that says "God
                        protects the wicked" from trouble.

                        Now some "testing" may come to the "righteous" (Psa. 66:10& Isa. 48:10)
                        but does this mean god will withhold his protection on them WHENEVER
                        they call upon his name and NEED his help? (Read Psalms 50:1 and MORE
                        below)

                        If so, if he keeps back from RESCUING them, then what kind of
                        RESPONSIBLE FATHER is he?

                        _____________________

                        > But not everything that happens is "judgment". Some people like to
                        believe so. That does not make it true. Often, bad things happen as a
                        result of living in a fallen world.

                        ______________________

                        Yes, that is true. But does that mean that the god of the bible
                        withholds his protection to those who "trust in him."? Isn't it written
                        in your own book that:

                        "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a

                        stronghold IN TIMES OF TROUBLE.

                        (Comment: woe and misery happens here on earth on "this fallen world,"
                        like you've written, and not "up there in god's paradise" where
                        everything is bliss and happiness therefore it is here that we need his
                        protection very badly)

                        upon continuing ...

                        "Those who know

                        your name WILL TRUST in you, for you, Lord, have

                        never forsaken those who seek you" (9:9-10).

                        Comment: If so, then why do I hear many god-fearing individuals CRY out:

                        MY GOD, MY GOD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US? when calamity strikes?

                        You sure don't want to believe an atheist will say those words, right?

                        And what's MORE, why would ANYONE of us want to trust, rely or lean on
                        someone who couldn't be FULLY trusted in the "day of trouble" or
                        calamity?

                        Again, ponder on the verse:

                        CALL ON ME IN THE DAY OF TROUBLE

                        AND I WILL DELIVER YOU"(Psalm 50:15)

                        Tsktsktsk ...

                        The storm, Milenyo, has been devastating, not to mention the lives of
                        many families, many nameless, christian, GOD-FEARING families, who have
                        lost their homes because of it.

                        There were flashfloods.

                        In our place, two people drowned.

                        I heard others express their thanks by saying: Sa awa ng dios wala
                        namang nangyari sa amin (By god's grace and mercy nothing happened to
                        us)

                        But what about the OTHERS? WHY hasn't god showed MERCY on them? Does
                        he play favorites? But the PAINFUL fact is, many among the CORRUPT
                        gov't officials survived when hundreds, IF not thousands of innocent men
                        and women PERISHED!

                        So how do you EXPLAIN this?

                        Why does god promise and NOT fulfill?

                        Again, let's read the passage:

                        "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed,

                        A STRONGHOLD IN TIMES OF TROUBLE

                        Those who know

                        your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have

                        never forsaken those who seek you" (9:9-10).

                        and another Psalm says:

                        "Blessed are ALL who take refuge in him" (2:12).

                        HAVE YOU READ BLESSED ARE SOME?

                        Moreover, your god says:

                        CALL ON ME IN THE DAY OF TROUBLE

                        AND I WILL DELIVER YOU"(Psalm 50:15)

                        Now, how SURE are you that NOT one christian (who trust in god) has
                        suffered loss from the past storm?

                        Lastly, another Scriptural passage says:

                        "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of

                        man, that he should change his mind. Does he

                        speak and THEN NOT ACT?

                        (like most corrupt politicians)

                        Does he promise

                        AND NOT FULFILL?" (Num. 23:19).

                        Again, again, again ...

                        DOES HE PROMISE AND NOT FULFILL?

                        Based on experience and facts,

                        I think we all know the answer to that.

                        Cheers ALL!

                        @ngelrai

                      • cityspiker
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 5, 2006
                          you can't questions his ways...can you? and his thoughts are not
                          your thoughts...

                          if you want to go to heaven....dont ask...just follow....amen?

                          if they want to be believe in a lunatic skydaddy...let it be...

                          live and let live....

                          peace bro

                          --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "angel2bright"
                          <angel2bright@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          innocent men
                          > and women PERISHED!
                          >
                          > So how do you EXPLAIN this?
                          >
                          > Why does god promise and NOT fulfill?
                          >
                          > Again, let's read the passage:
                          >
                          > "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed,
                          >
                          > A STRONGHOLD IN TIMES OF TROUBLE
                          >
                          > Those who know
                          >
                          > your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have
                          >
                          > never forsaken those who seek you" (9:9-10).
                          >
                          > and another Psalm says:
                          >

                          > "Blessed are ALL who take refuge in him" (2:12).
                          >
                          > HAVE YOU READ BLESSED ARE SOME?
                          >
                          > Moreover, your god says:
                          >

                          > CALL ON ME IN THE DAY OF TROUBLE
                          >
                          > AND I WILL DELIVER YOU"(Psalm 50:15)
                          >
                          > Now, how SURE are you that NOT one christian (who trust in god) has
                          > suffered loss from the past storm?
                          >
                          > Lastly, another Scriptural passage says:
                          >
                          > "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of
                          >
                          > man, that he should change his mind. Does he

                        • angel2bright
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 5, 2006
                            Awwwww! That was quite an edge, city ol bud. So let's cook our meals
                            using dung feces.

                            Gross.

                            Here are some portions of what recently he said to me online:

                            When asked if he would strip like Isaiah did IF his god orders him to
                            his response was:

                            stormblazer8: Back on Isaiah

                            Jonathan Perez: because i trust God

                            stormblazer8: please, yes or no?

                            Jonathan Perez: my answer is clear enough, don't you think?

                            stormblazer8: It's ok if you consider my disobedience (with using sound
                            reason) stupid, so ...

                            stormblazer8: clear?

                            stormblazer8: So does that mean you'll strip?

                            stormblazer8: why is it hard for you to answer YES if that's what you
                            mean?

                            Jonathan Perez: If God would ask me to jump off a cliff, heck, meaning
                            there is a God, hello! and he is all that he is cracked up to be... do i
                            know better?

                            stormblazer8: Are you a Christian? YES. OK. So will You Strip if God
                            commands you to? Yes OR No?

                            Jonathan Perez: Well, you ask the question the way you want and i answer
                            the question the way i want. (have you stopped beating your wife)?

                            Jonathan Perez:

                            Jonathan Perez: have you stopped collecting porn magazines? Yes or No?

                            (by this he tries to evade the question by shooting forth another
                            question)

                            stormblazer8: oh c'mon ... fact is not whether someone of us knows
                            better than any stupid god, my question is will you do it? Virtually
                            whatever he tells you to?

                            Jonathan Perez: Yes dear

                            Jonathan Perez: if i am told to

                            OMIGULAY ...
                            --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "cityspiker" <cityspiker@...>

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 6, 2006
                              Hi Angel!
                              That was a nice exchange! Now that helped me a bit to understand how some Christian thinks. In many instances I hear (read) the phrase 'God ordered me to (whip my kid, for example)... Yun pala yun.

                              joma

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > innocent men
                              > > and women PERISHED!
                              > >
                              > > So how do you EXPLAIN this?
                              > >
                              > > Why does god promise and NOT fulfill?
                              > >
                              > > Again, let's read the passage:
                              > >
                              > > "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed,
                              > >
                              > > A STRONGHOLD IN TIMES OF TROUBLE
                              > >
                              > > Those who know
                              > >
                              > > your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have
                              > >
                              > > never forsaken those who seek you" (9:9-10).
                              > >
                              > > and another Psalm says:
                              > >

                              > > "Blessed are ALL who take refuge in him" (2:12).
                              > >
                              > > HAVE YOU READ BLESSED ARE SOME?
                              > >
                              > > Moreover, your god says:
                              > >

                              > > CALL ON ME IN THE DAY OF TROUBLE
                              > >
                              > > AND I WILL DELIVER YOU"(Psalm 50:15)
                              > >
                              > > Now, how SURE are you that NOT one christian (who trust in god) has
                              > > suffered loss from the past storm?
                              > >
                              > > Lastly, another Scriptural passage says:
                              > >
                              > > "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of
                              > >
                              > > man, that he should change his mind. Does he

                            • cityspiker
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 6, 2006
                                freaky but it's nothing new...it gets really scary if their god
                                wants his sick fetish satisfied and tell his believers to rape their
                                daughters.

                                <angel2bright@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > > > and women PERISHED!
                                > > >
                                > > > So how do you EXPLAIN this?
                                > > >
                                > > > Why does god promise and NOT fulfill?
                                > > >
                                > > > Again, let's read the passage:
                                > > >
                                > > > "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed,
                                > > >
                                > > > A STRONGHOLD IN TIMES OF TROUBLE
                                > > >
                                > > > Those who know
                                > > >
                                > > > your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have
                                > > >
                                > > > never forsaken those who seek you" (9:9-10).
                                > > >
                                > > > and another Psalm says:
                                > > >

                                > > > "Blessed are ALL who take refuge in him" (2:12).
                                > > >
                                > > > HAVE YOU READ BLESSED ARE SOME?
                                > > >
                                > > > Moreover, your god says:
                                > > >

                                > > > CALL ON ME IN THE DAY OF TROUBLE
                                > > >
                                > > > AND I WILL DELIVER YOU"(Psalm 50:15)
                                > > >
                                > > > Now, how SURE are you that NOT one christian (who trust in
                                god) has
                                > > > suffered loss from the past storm?
                                > > >
                                > > > Lastly, another Scriptural passage says:
                                > > >
                                > > > "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of
                                > > >
                                > > > man, that he should change his mind. Does he

                              • nihilus_hedonus
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 6, 2006
                                  If it has been established already that God exist and this being
                                  happened to directly command someone into doing something, however
                                  irrational it may be, then what is a puny creature to do? We all want
                                  to survive and live a quality life (On a side note, this very
                                  want/need is actually the standard of our morals, not God). That
                                  person may well be concerned with his survival. Further, he may want
                                  to live longer and, if he is actually enjoying life at the moment, he
                                  may also wish to go on living. So basically a person worried about
                                  his survival and wishing to continue enjoying his life would
                                  instinctually obey, no matter how ridiculous the command may be.

                                  Take this instance:

                                  Numbers 25:4
                                  4 The LORD said to Moses, "Take all the chiefs of the people, and
                                  impale them in the sun before the LORD, in order that the fierce anger
                                  of the LORD may turn away from Israel."

                                  God is so mad here and that to calm his anger he required his people
                                  to impale their leaders in broad daylight. God needs the sight of
                                  human barbeques to calm himself down (eq. "...impale them in the sun
                                  before the LORD, in order that the fierce anger of the LORD may turn
                                  away from Israel.").

                                  On the next verse:

                                  "And Moses said to the judges of Israel, 'Each of you shall kill any
                                  of your people who have yoked themselves to the Baal of Peor.'"

                                  Now he is commanding them to kill one's neighbor, possibly many of
                                  them could have been their friends, relatives, and loved ones. And of
                                  course as the story goes, they all obliged.

                                  Whatever happened to not interfering with our freewill? These are but
                                  one of the many cases that God "interfered" with man's freewill. But I
                                  digress. ;)

                                  So you see, if God happens to exist and a person who is living a happy
                                  and contented life was asked by God to do something irrational or
                                  ridiculous, or even violent, can you blame him for obeying?

                                  If he disobeys, not only is he in danger of losing his life (he could
                                  be asked to be impaled live in national television for all to see, who
                                  knows) and losing the abundant life he is currently enjoying, he would
                                  also be tortured non-stop in the lake of fire.

                                  As for me, I understand why Jonathan answered the way he did.

                                  "God says do what you wish, but make the wrong choice and you will be
                                  tortured for eternity in hell. That sir, is not free will. It would be
                                  akin to a man telling his girlfriend, do what you wish, but if you
                                  choose to leave me, I will track you down and blow your brains out.
                                  When a man says this we call him a psychopath and cry out for his
                                  imprisonment. When god says the same we call him `loving' and build
                                  churches in his honor." - William C. Easttom II