separation of church and state

  • Romeo Macapobre
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2006
      HON. NOLI DE CASTRO
      Vice-President, Republic of the Philippines
      Housing and Urban Development
      Coordinating Council
      6th and 8th Floors, Atrium Building,
      Makati Ave., Makati City

      Dear Mr. Vice-President,

      Greetings in the Lord!

      Poor people living along the railroad tracks from Caloocan to Los
      Baños have come to me several times to ask my help with their
      relocation problems. I met with them and government officials
      including National Housing Authority General Manager Federico Laxa
      last March 6 and made suggestions based on what was reported there
      regarding children's education, family income, distant relocation and
      excessive concern for cut-off dates and deadlines. People have since
      reported to me that not much progress has been made in these matters,
      except that the government in San Antonio, Makati was more open to
      appeal cases.

      It is clear the situation in the relocation area of Cabuyao is
      seriously poor. I attach a summary of a study made by the Diocese of
      Malolos in the North and for our own use in the South. Note that
      hunger has doubled since people were relocated; the water is not
      potable without boiling (See Ateneo de Manila test result); there is
      still no light; family incomes have fallen to P5,568 on average a
      month from a pre-location level of P6,500-7,500.

      There are no jobs, and only 2 percent of families benefit from
      livelihood training. Lastly, it is unlikely there will be classes for
      4,000 children in the relocation area in June.

      Distant relocation is the prime cause of much of these problems. If
      people were relocated near their work and schools, for example, family
      income would not suffer so much and the children could continue in
      their own schools with the help perhaps of some school bus service.

      It is also sad to hear that poor people are still encouraged by the
      government to move to the relocation area when it is not ready. People
      have told me they have been threatened that they will not get a spot
      in the relocation area if they don't volunteer to demolish their
      houses and move out at once. It is illegal to threaten people to waive
      their constitutional rights to a prepared relocation site.

      Therefore, I am asking you as representative of the government to
      first assure housing, water, electric, and school facilities before
      setting definite date for all evictions along the South Rail.

      This will allow the government to complete the unfinished tasks in the
      Cabuyao relocation site and to look more closely for in-city
      relocation sites.

      NGOs and people's groups with whom we work have found close to 200
      has. of idle land in the Taguig/Bicutan area, a portion of which
      (perhaps 10-15 percent) can be used as relocation sites. Obviously,
      there are objections to use such valuable land for relocationof our
      poor. We have to look again at our priorities. Do they reflect the
      Christian social teaching? Some date on these Taguig/Bicutan sites are
      attached.

      Some will also argue the constructino of the railroad cannot be
      delayed. However on the North Rail where evictions were also rushed,
      it now seems there was no need such haste. Although the tracks are
      clear for over a year, no construction has been started. Let us look
      closely at the need for rushing.

      We hope we can work with you in the future in improving conditions in
      the relocation area and in finding alternate in-city relocation. We
      are grateful for the good things that have been done, but it is not
      right that the poor bear the major burden of a railroad that will
      benefit everyone in society.

      This letter will be brought to your office on May 15, 2006 a.m. by the
      people with whom I have talked. I hope you can meet with them.

      Thank you and God bless!

      Sincerely yours,

      + GAUDENCIO B. CARDINAL ROSALES, D.D.
      Archbishop of Manila

      ==========================

      [max] what is the primary reason why there are so many of them
      (squatters)? has the catholic church adamant and unrealistic stand
      and influence in the government on responsible parenthood have
      anything to do with it. how much of the church coffers actually go to
      charity?

      --
      apprenons francais [rmacapobre-french.blogspot.com].
      apprenons max [rmacapobre.blogspot.com].
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2006
        The cardinal is now worried and concerned? I thought the poor shall inherit something
        'better' from god out of the material mess they are in right now.

        --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "Romeo Macapobre" <romeo.macapobre@...>