OT: THE IGNORANCE THAT KILLS

  • raffy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2006
      Fwd fm Plarided
      VANTAGE POINT
      By Luis V. Teodoro
      June 9 Column

      The evil that is in the world always comes of
      ignorance, and good intentions may do as much
      harm as malevolence, if they lack
      understanding�The most incorrigible vice [is]
      that of an ignorance which fancies it knows
      everything, and therefore claims for itself the
      right to kill.
      ---Nobel Prize
      for Literature laureate Albert Camus

      IT'S BAD enough to demand that journalists be
      informers. But it's even worse to justify the
      killing of journalists and political activists by
      declaring that other crimes happen anyway, and no
      one can do anything about them.
      Raul Gonzalez' being justice secretary is
      among the many crosses Filipinos have to bear,
      courtesy of the so-called government of the
      Philippines. The other day he used the attempt
      on the life of Batangas Governor Armando Sanchez
      to argue that the government has nothing to do
      with the killing of journalists and political
      activists. In the process, however, Gonzalez
      succeeded in validating what everyone has known
      all along about the state of criminality in the
      Philippines as well as who's responsible for it.
      "Criminality," said Gonzalez, "is roaming
      in our towns and cities," a statement which
      should qualify him for a remedial
      English-language course, but which was his way of
      saying that crime's rampant in the country of our
      despair.
      Few Filipinos will dispute it, even if
      it's coming from Gonzalez. People are beaten,
      robbed, stabbed, and shot on the streets, and
      recently, even at the Ninoy Aquino International
      Airport. Women going home from work at night are
      raped and murdered. Judges and even police
      officers have been ambushed and killed. The
      children of the wealthy are kidnapped. Let's not
      forget either the daily offenses against the law
      the government itself commits by threatening
      journalists, beating protesters in the streets,
      and lawyering for US Marines. But yes--
      political activists in the hundreds have also
      been killed, and so have journalists.
      Gonzalez argued that the killing of
      political activists and journalists is just part
      of the general crime situation. Ergo, the
      government has nothing to do with it, because, he
      said, "these things (crimes) are not under the
      control of anybody"-which was his way of saying
      that the regime is blameless.
      Wrong. The Arroyo regime has in the past
      been quick to claim credit for any decline in the
      crime rate no matter how infinitesimal or even
      doctored the data have been. Every government
      has police agencies, a judicial system and a
      corrections machinery to address criminality.
      They also have departments of justice or the
      equivalent. It's clear enough to everyone why--
      except to Gonzalez. It is because the safety of
      the citizenry is a fundamental government
      responsibility.
      Gonzalez would have us believe that
      criminality's "roaming our towns and cities" is
      not only normal. It is also something about
      which the regime he serves can't do anything.
      This is not only an admission that crime is
      rampant and that the regime is incompetent to
      address it. It is also a declaration that the
      regime is abdicating a fundamental responsibility.
      On the other hand, as has been repeatedly
      pointed out by, among other groups, the
      Commission on Human Rights, Amnesty
      International and the Asian Commission on Human
      Rights, the Arroyo government is accountable for
      at least its inability to protect human rights,
      its toleration of the killing of political
      activists and journalists, and its presiding over
      the culture of impunity which encourages the
      killings. But it could also be especially
      accountable for encouraging the killing of
      political activists and/or even orchestrating
      them as a matter of policy.
      The killing of an activist and a
      journalist is as much a crime as a rape, a
      murder, or a kidnapping. But these must also be
      distinguished from the latter. First, because
      they are obviously political in the broad sense
      that they are meant to stop dissent and protest
      and to prevent information on public issues from
      reaching citizens. Second, and more
      fundamentally, there is a pattern in the killings
      which suggests that they are part of a political
      conspiracy to terrorize and silence regime
      critics, and to deny the citizenry the benefit of
      information about public affairs.
      That is why Gonzalez' asking why
      international human rights groups have not sent
      teams to look into the attempt on Sanchez' life
      is as misleading and malevolent as it is
      ignorant. There is no pattern evident in the
      attempt on Sanchez, while there is one in the
      killing of journalists and activists.
      Assassination attempts on local officials,
      whether successful or not, have for the most part
      been traced to local political disputes, not to a
      nation-wide, orchestrated conspiracy to, say,
      silence provincial governors.
      Killings motivated by partisan politics
      are as reprehensible as other crimes, and in fact
      demonstrate the perennial violence of Philippine
      politics. But they are part of local contests for
      power, not attempts to silence certain viewpoints
      as well as protest and the criticism of
      government.
      No one now believes that the killing of
      journalists is the result of, and should be
      blamed solely on local disputes. While there are
      such cases, the motive for most of the killings
      to is to stop journalists from exposing anomalies
      at the local level. On the other hand, the
      killing of activists has been obviously
      orchestrated and intended to terrorize leftist
      activists, decimate their ranks, and deny them
      involvement in mainstream politics.
      Gonzalez said the motive for any crime
      should be looked into. "You should first look at
      the motive." That is exactly what those who say
      that the killings are government sponsored in the
      case of activists, and government-tolerated in
      the case of journalists, have been saying all
      along. Look for the motive, find out who or what
      will benefit from the crimes being committed
      against both activists as well as journalists.
      You don't have to look far to do either, and even
      Gonzalez knows it.
      Camus was wrong. It isn't so much
      ignorance, but ignorance combined with
      malevolence, that's responsible for the evil in
      the world.--##
    • tekton12
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
        Let's say the killers of journalists are caught. How then does Luis
        Teodoro propose to prosecute and punish them? Limited jail time?
        Death penalty? Should they even be tried by our notoriously flawed
        Philippine courts? If we go by Teodoro's previous column, where he
        said that the Philippine judicial system is flawed "at all levels",
        then prosecuting these journalist-killers may be an exercise in
        futility. Why bother enforcing the law when you can't be sure you
        caught the right guy? For all we know, these "killers" may just be
        fall guys, picked by the government to take the rap while the real
        killers go scot free.

        If we are to take Teodoro's argument to its logical conclusion, we
        should just dismantle our judicial system and let people settle
        their scores on the streets.

        tekton12

        --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "raffy" <rlipao2@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > at the local level. On the other hand, the
        > killing of activists has been obviously
        > orchestrated and intended to terrorize leftist
        > activists, decimate their ranks, and deny them
        > involvement in mainstream politics.
        > Gonzalez said the motive for any crime
        > should be looked into. "You should first look at
        > the motive." That is exactly what those who say
        > that the killings are government sponsored in the
        > case of activists, and government-tolerated in
        > the case of journalists, have been saying all
        > along. Look for the motive, find out who or what
        > will benefit from the crimes being committed
        > against both activists as well as journalists.
        > You don't have to look far to do either, and even
        > Gonzalez knows it.
        > Camus was wrong. It isn't so much
        > ignorance, but ignorance combined with
        > malevolence, that's responsible for the evil in

      • tekton12
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
> [...]

          > at the local level. On the other hand, the
          > killing of activists has been obviously
          > orchestrated and intended to terrorize leftist
          > activists, decimate their ranks, and deny them
          > involvement in mainstream politics.
          > Gonzalez said the motive for any crime
          > should be looked into. "You should first look at
          > the motive." That is exactly what those who say
          > that the killings are government sponsored in the
          > case of activists, and government-tolerated in
          > the case of journalists, have been saying all
          > along. Look for the motive, find out who or what
          > will benefit from the crimes being committed
          > against both activists as well as journalists.
          > You don't have to look far to do either, and even
          > Gonzalez knows it.
          > Camus was wrong. It isn't so much
          > ignorance, but ignorance combined with
          > malevolence, that's responsible for the evil in

        • Romeo Macapobre
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
            > if .. the Philippine judicial system is flawed "at all levels" .. we
            should just dismantle our judicial system and let people settle
            their scores on the streets.

            [max] i disagree. if something is flawed, we fix it.

            --
            apprenons francais [rmacapobre-french.blogspot.com].
            apprenons max [rmacapobre.blogspot.com].