Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Morality

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 21, 2012
      i see. the question what morality "want us to become" is poetic..

      From: eduardo barot <mailto:eduardobarot%40yahoo.com>
      To: "mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com" <mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 8:14 AM

      Easy? I don't think so.

      Besides, saints' and martyrs' lives are based partially on truth and partially on myth from an older source. I think during the Pagan times they had saints and martyrs too, or their equivalent. So the Church also had to create or make their own, to match up or compete. Religion being an industry and all.

      Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for furniture too, I read.

      You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).

      In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much for whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

      Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 21, 2012
        Morality is very important. Its just most of the time its subjective.

        I don't know if morality should be looked at neutrally (does that sounds psychopatic?) but i think it is a window into the human condition.

        And then there's the question of God. How much does God contribute to morality?

        In the Old Testament and the New Testamnent, for example, two Gods are portrayed with diametrically opposed morality traits.

        ________________________________

        wrote:

        > Maybe non-atheist.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Sarda Karaniwan
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 24, 2012
          "morality is for the degenarative kind of people."

          Abnormal you mean,LOL, I agree. The present morality we have today is
          not for the normal ordinary human being that is why the ordinary
          people(the real human being) never really adapted to it, and that is why
          we always hear them justify, "hey, I'm only human".

          -----sarda-----

          --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, Tomas Agulto <tomagulto@...>
          wrote:

          > - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo
          sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a
          culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to
          enjoy life as we love our neighbors/Â we celebrate life, we love the
          real life, not the good other life in heaven... there's no better
          life than the real life

          Church also had to create or make their own, to match up or compete.Â
          Religion being an industry and all.Â

          > Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for
          furniture too, I read.

          > You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally
          upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).

          > In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much
          for whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

          > Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Tomas Agulto
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 24, 2012
            Religion itself is the best proof that god does not exist

            wrote:

            > - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo

            sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a

            culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to

            enjoy life as we love our neighbors/Â we celebrate life, we love the

            real life, not the good other life in heaven... there's no better

            life than the real life

            > --- On Sat, 21/7/12, jose mario sison joma_sison@... wrote:

            > From: jose mario sison joma_sison@...

            > Subject: Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Morality

            > To: pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com

            > looks like morality has a mind of its own?

            > --- On Thu, 7/19/12, eduardo barot eduardobarot@... wrote:

            > From: eduardo barot eduardobarot@...

            > Subject: Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Morality

            > To: "pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com" pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com

            > Date: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 8:14 AM

            > Easy? I don't think so.

            > Besides, saints' and martyrs' lives are based partially on truth and

            partially on myth from an older source. I think during the Pagan

            times they had saints and martyrs too, or their equivalent. So the

            Church also had to create or make their own, to match up or compete.Â

            Religion being an industry and all.Â

            > Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for

            furniture too, I read.

            > You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally

            upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).

            > In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much

            for whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

            > Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.

            > ________________________________

            > From: Sarda Karaniwan karaniwans@...

          • Sarda Karaniwan
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26, 2012
              Mr.Agulto,

              It would please me to hear and maybe as well as other atheist for you
              give out those reasons why religion itself is the best proof that god
              does not exist. The statement is not meant to argue with you as we are
              all more or less of the same "belief"? in this forum, but to give us
              re-inforcement of reasons against those "bible-expert" believers whose
              aim it is, is to make atheism look ridiculous, thus making us look
              ridiculous.

              And I hope others could add more, thank you.

              wrote:

              > Religion itself is the best proof that god does not exist

            • eric sandy fernando
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1 5:16 PM
                here's an example of "moral choice" according to a chief justice applicant. at the beginning of the video, one of his proposals is moral choice/grounds in deciding cases. if you jump into 1hr 9m of the video, the discussion continued. please follow the link provided below. take note, the applicant is a dean of law in a university here in manila. poor students.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlIj-JFn5U

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 1 6:01 PM
                  Some lawyers' ideas are products of incorrect thinking.

                  Like they've been led/trained to believe in the adage the "law is hard but it is still the law",--which makes them completely shut down all thought processes as that principle is the end of the line as far as thinking-it through is concerned.
                  An ancient historian observed (Suetonius?) that, "the more laws a republic has, the more corrupt it is." Rings a bell? Sounds like a country we know.

                  Here we are not taught "when law becomes injustice, rebellion becomes duty." - Thomas Jefferson. This is because the State only wants dull, obedient sheep as they are easier to control.

                  This idea by Jefferson is not told us because that would pose a dangerous meme to the State--but what is the "State" anyway? And by who's or what's authority told them to rule over us?

                  Back to point, law schools are like brainwash institutions.

                  Anyway, I think all schools here are. And they get paid well for it.

                  They're no different from prisons. They wear uniforms like in prisons. have schedules on when to eat and play like in prisons, they're told how to behave like in prisons, told what to think like in prisons. Its indoctrination, not teaching, that goes on in these places.

                  Schools do not teach students how to think for themselves. The only difference (from being in prison) is that while they're physcally free, their minds are chained to limiting ideas that have been proven to fail from time to time.

                  ________________________________

                  --- In mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com, Tomas Agulto <tomagulto@...>

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2 4:10 AM
                    we were witness to corona;s daily mass and novena in supreme court and i thought the best mind are....

                    wrote:

                    > - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo
                    sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a
                    culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to
                    enjoy life as we love our neighbors/Â we celebrate life, we love the
                    real life, not the good other life in heaven... there's no better
                    life than the real life

                  • Sarda Karaniwan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 6 1:54 AM
                      Institutionalized, means the "educated".

                      Uninstitutionalized, means "uneducated".

                      Our society is divided into this category intentionally so that the
                      "uneducated" majority will always be under the control of the few
                      selected "educated" minority who claims to be the "authority" because
                      they got "diplomas" as proof of "authority" (sic).

                      -----sarda-----

                      --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, eduardo barot <eduardobarot@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Some lawyers'Â ideas are products of incorrect thinking.
                      > Like they've been led/trained to believe in the adage the "law is
                      hard but it is still the law",--which makes them completely shut down
                      all thought processes as that principle is the end of the line as
                      far as thinking-it through is concerned. Â
                      > An ancient historian observed (Suetonius?) that, "the more laws a
                      republic has, the more corrupt it is." Rings a bell? Sounds like a
                      country we know.
                      > Here we are not taught "when law becomes injustice, rebellion becomes
                      duty." - Thomas Jefferson. This is because the State only wants dull,
                      obedient sheep as they are easier to control.
                      > This idea by Jefferson is not told us because that would pose a
                      dangerous meme to the State--but what is the "State" anyway? And by
                      who's or what's authority told them to rule over us?
                      > Back to point, law schools are like brainwash institutions.
                      > Anyway, I think all schools here are. And they get paid well for it.
                      > They're no different from prisons. They wear uniforms like in prisons.
                      have schedules on when to eat and play like in prisons, they're toldÂ
                      how to behave like in prisons, told what to think like in prisons.
                      Its indoctrination, not teaching, that goes on in these places.
                      > Schools do not teach students how to think for themselves. The
                      only difference (from being in prison)Â is that while they're