Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Morality

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 21 2:49 PM
      Hi. Its been quite some time.

      Morality is a human creation. It drives us from our natural instincts. it makes us enjoy the material world less.

      I understand that much from my sparse reading of Nietzche.

      ________________________________
      From: eduardo barot <mailto:eduardobarot%40yahoo.com>
      To: "mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com" <mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 8:14 AM

      Easy? I don't think so.

      Besides, saints' and martyrs' lives are based partially on truth and partially on myth from an older source. I think during the Pagan times they had saints and martyrs too, or their equivalent. So the Church also had to create or make their own, to match up or compete. Religion being an industry and all.

      Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for furniture too, I read.

      You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).

      In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much for whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

      Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 21 4:17 PM
        morality is for the degenarative kind of people - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to enjoy life as we love our neighbors/  we celebrate life, we love the real life, not the good other life in heaven...  there's no better life than the real life

        From: eduardo barot <eduardobarot@...>

        To: "pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com" <pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 21 5:29 PM
          i see. the question what morality "want us to become" is poetic..

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 21 7:54 PM
            Morality is very important. Its just most of the time its subjective.

            I don't know if morality should be looked at neutrally (does that sounds psychopatic?) but i think it is a window into the human condition.

            And then there's the question of God. How much does God contribute to morality?

            In the Old Testament and the New Testamnent, for example, two Gods are portrayed with diametrically opposed morality traits.

            ________________________________

            wrote:

            > Maybe non-atheist.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Sarda Karaniwan
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 24 5:48 AM
              "morality is for the degenarative kind of people."

              Abnormal you mean,LOL, I agree. The present morality we have today is
              not for the normal ordinary human being that is why the ordinary
              people(the real human being) never really adapted to it, and that is why
              we always hear them justify, "hey, I'm only human".

              -----sarda-----

              --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, Tomas Agulto <tomagulto@...>
              wrote:

              > - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo
              sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a
              culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to
              enjoy life as we love our neighbors/Â we celebrate life, we love the
              real life, not the good other life in heaven... there's no better
              life than the real life

              Church also had to create or make their own, to match up or compete.Â
              Religion being an industry and all.Â

              > Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for
              furniture too, I read.

              > You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally
              upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).

              > In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much
              for whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

              > Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Tomas Agulto
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 24 3:45 PM
                Religion itself is the best proof that god does not exist

                wrote:

                > - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo

                sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a

                culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to

                enjoy life as we love our neighbors/Â we celebrate life, we love the

                real life, not the good other life in heaven... there's no better

                life than the real life

                > --- On Sat, 21/7/12, jose mario sison joma_sison@... wrote:

                > From: jose mario sison joma_sison@...

                > Subject: Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Morality

                > To: pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com

                > looks like morality has a mind of its own?

                > --- On Thu, 7/19/12, eduardo barot eduardobarot@... wrote:

                > From: eduardo barot eduardobarot@...

                > Subject: Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Morality

                > To: "pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com" pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com

                > Date: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 8:14 AM

                > Easy? I don't think so.

                > Besides, saints' and martyrs' lives are based partially on truth and

                partially on myth from an older source. I think during the Pagan

                times they had saints and martyrs too, or their equivalent. So the

                Church also had to create or make their own, to match up or compete.Â

                Religion being an industry and all.Â

                > Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for

                furniture too, I read.

                > You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally

                upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).

                > In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much

                for whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

                > Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.

                > ________________________________

                > From: Sarda Karaniwan karaniwans@...

              • Sarda Karaniwan
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 26 5:07 AM
                  Mr.Agulto,

                  It would please me to hear and maybe as well as other atheist for you
                  give out those reasons why religion itself is the best proof that god
                  does not exist. The statement is not meant to argue with you as we are
                  all more or less of the same "belief"? in this forum, but to give us
                  re-inforcement of reasons against those "bible-expert" believers whose
                  aim it is, is to make atheism look ridiculous, thus making us look
                  ridiculous.

                  And I hope others could add more, thank you.

                  wrote:

                  > Religion itself is the best proof that god does not exist

                • eric sandy fernando
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                    here's an example of "moral choice" according to a chief justice applicant. at the beginning of the video, one of his proposals is moral choice/grounds in deciding cases. if you jump into 1hr 9m of the video, the discussion continued. please follow the link provided below. take note, the applicant is a dean of law in a university here in manila. poor students.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlIj-JFn5U

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                      Some lawyers' ideas are products of incorrect thinking.

                      Like they've been led/trained to believe in the adage the "law is hard but it is still the law",--which makes them completely shut down all thought processes as that principle is the end of the line as far as thinking-it through is concerned.
                      An ancient historian observed (Suetonius?) that, "the more laws a republic has, the more corrupt it is." Rings a bell? Sounds like a country we know.

                      Here we are not taught "when law becomes injustice, rebellion becomes duty." - Thomas Jefferson. This is because the State only wants dull, obedient sheep as they are easier to control.

                      This idea by Jefferson is not told us because that would pose a dangerous meme to the State--but what is the "State" anyway? And by who's or what's authority told them to rule over us?

                      Back to point, law schools are like brainwash institutions.

                      Anyway, I think all schools here are. And they get paid well for it.

                      They're no different from prisons. They wear uniforms like in prisons. have schedules on when to eat and play like in prisons, they're told how to behave like in prisons, told what to think like in prisons. Its indoctrination, not teaching, that goes on in these places.

                      Schools do not teach students how to think for themselves. The only difference (from being in prison) is that while they're physcally free, their minds are chained to limiting ideas that have been proven to fail from time to time.

                      ________________________________

                      --- In mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com, Tomas Agulto <tomagulto@...>

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2012
                        we were witness to corona;s daily mass and novena in supreme court and i thought the best mind are....

                        wrote:

                        > - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo
                        sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a
                        culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to
                        enjoy life as we love our neighbors/Â we celebrate life, we love the
                        real life, not the good other life in heaven... there's no better
                        life than the real life

                      • Sarda Karaniwan
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 6, 2012
                          Institutionalized, means the "educated".

                          Uninstitutionalized, means "uneducated".

                          Our society is divided into this category intentionally so that the
                          "uneducated" majority will always be under the control of the few
                          selected "educated" minority who claims to be the "authority" because
                          they got "diplomas" as proof of "authority" (sic).

                          -----sarda-----

                          --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, eduardo barot <eduardobarot@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Some lawyers'Â ideas are products of incorrect thinking.
                          > Like they've been led/trained to believe in the adage the "law is
                          hard but it is still the law",--which makes them completely shut down
                          all thought processes as that principle is the end of the line as
                          far as thinking-it through is concerned. Â
                          > An ancient historian observed (Suetonius?) that, "the more laws a
                          republic has, the more corrupt it is." Rings a bell? Sounds like a
                          country we know.
                          > Here we are not taught "when law becomes injustice, rebellion becomes
                          duty." - Thomas Jefferson. This is because the State only wants dull,
                          obedient sheep as they are easier to control.
                          > This idea by Jefferson is not told us because that would pose a
                          dangerous meme to the State--but what is the "State" anyway? And by
                          who's or what's authority told them to rule over us?
                          > Back to point, law schools are like brainwash institutions.
                          > Anyway, I think all schools here are. And they get paid well for it.
                          > They're no different from prisons. They wear uniforms like in prisons.
                          have schedules on when to eat and play like in prisons, they're toldÂ
                          how to behave like in prisons, told what to think like in prisons.
                          Its indoctrination, not teaching, that goes on in these places.
                          > Schools do not teach students how to think for themselves. The
                          only difference (from being in prison)Â is that while they're