Morality

  • Sarda Karaniwan
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 17, 2012
      The question about morality is this, what does our present morality
      wants us to become?

      -----sarda-----

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 17, 2012
        Maybe non-atheist.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 18, 2012
          Close enough, to be precise, to become a saint or a martyr.

          Are they easy for the ordinary people to emulate?

          -----sarda-----

          --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, eduardo barot <eduardobarot@...>

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 18, 2012
            Easy? I don't think so.

            Besides, saints' and martyrs' lives are based partially on truth and partially on myth from an older source. I think during the Pagan times they had saints and martyrs too, or their equivalent. So the Church also had to create or make their own, to match up or compete. Religion being an industry and all.

            Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for furniture too, I read.

            You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).

            In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much for whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

            Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.

            ________________________________

            --- In mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com, eduardo barot <eduardobarot@...>
            wrote:

            > Maybe non-atheist.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Sarda Karaniwan
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 19, 2012
              wrote:

              > Easy? I don't think so.

              I completely agree.

              > Besides, saints' and martyrs' lives are based partially on truth and
              partially on myth from an older source. I think during the Pagan
              times they had saints and martyrs too, or their equivalent. So the
              Church also had to create or make their own, to match up or compete.Â
              Religion being an industry and all.

              Yes that could be true too, but I believe that saint and martyr are not
              "real" being but "ideal" being imposed on a real persons who were
              already dead.

              > Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for
              furniture too, I read.

              Sorry to say, I've never.

              > You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally
              upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).
              In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much for
              whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

              Only a traditional politicians wants to be noticed.

              > Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.

              Maybe.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 21, 2012
                looks like morality has a mind of its own?

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 21, 2012
                  Hi. Its been quite some time.

                  Morality is a human creation. It drives us from our natural instincts. it makes us enjoy the material world less.

                  I understand that much from my sparse reading of Nietzche.

                  ________________________________

                  wrote:

                  > Maybe non-atheist.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Tomas Agulto
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 21, 2012
                    morality is for the degenarative kind of people - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to enjoy life as we love our neighbors/  we celebrate life, we love the real life, not the good other life in heaven...  there's no better life than the real life

                    From: eduardo barot <eduardobarot@...>

                    To: "pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com" <pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 21, 2012
                      i see. the question what morality "want us to become" is poetic..

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 21, 2012
                        Morality is very important. Its just most of the time its subjective.

                        I don't know if morality should be looked at neutrally (does that sounds psychopatic?) but i think it is a window into the human condition.

                        And then there's the question of God. How much does God contribute to morality?

                        In the Old Testament and the New Testamnent, for example, two Gods are portrayed with diametrically opposed morality traits.

                        ________________________________

                        wrote:

                        > Maybe non-atheist.
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Sarda Karaniwan
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 24, 2012
                          "morality is for the degenarative kind of people."

                          Abnormal you mean,LOL, I agree. The present morality we have today is
                          not for the normal ordinary human being that is why the ordinary
                          people(the real human being) never really adapted to it, and that is why
                          we always hear them justify, "hey, I'm only human".

                          -----sarda-----

                          --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, Tomas Agulto <tomagulto@...>
                          wrote:

                          > - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo
                          sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a
                          culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to
                          enjoy life as we love our neighbors/Â we celebrate life, we love the
                          real life, not the good other life in heaven... there's no better
                          life than the real life

                          Religion being an industry and all.Â

                          > Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for
                          furniture too, I read.

                          > You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally
                          upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).

                          > In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much
                          for whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

                          > Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Tomas Agulto
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 24, 2012
                            Religion itself is the best proof that god does not exist

                            wrote:

                            > - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo

                            sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a

                            culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to

                            enjoy life as we love our neighbors/Â we celebrate life, we love the

                            real life, not the good other life in heaven... there's no better

                            life than the real life

                            > --- On Sat, 21/7/12, jose mario sison joma_sison@... wrote:

                            > From: jose mario sison joma_sison@...

                            > Subject: Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Morality

                            > To: pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com

                            > looks like morality has a mind of its own?

                            > --- On Thu, 7/19/12, eduardo barot eduardobarot@... wrote:

                            > From: eduardo barot eduardobarot@...

                            > Subject: Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Morality

                            > To: "pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com" pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com

                            > Date: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 8:14 AM

                            > Easy? I don't think so.

                            > Besides, saints' and martyrs' lives are based partially on truth and

                            partially on myth from an older source. I think during the Pagan

                            times they had saints and martyrs too, or their equivalent. So the

                            Church also had to create or make their own, to match up or compete.Â

                            Religion being an industry and all.Â

                            > Have you ever heard of St. Andrew-by-Wardrobe? There's a saint for

                            furniture too, I read.

                            > You don't have to be a saint or a martyr. There are a lot of morally

                            upright people out there who don't get "cannonized" (what a word).

                            > In fact, I know some good people don't want to get noticed too much

                            for whatever good they do, not expecting anything in return.

                            > Maybe the feelgood effect is nice enough for them.

                            > ________________________________

                            > From: Sarda Karaniwan karaniwans@...

                          • Sarda Karaniwan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 26, 2012
                              Mr.Agulto,

                              It would please me to hear and maybe as well as other atheist for you
                              give out those reasons why religion itself is the best proof that god
                              does not exist. The statement is not meant to argue with you as we are
                              all more or less of the same "belief"? in this forum, but to give us
                              re-inforcement of reasons against those "bible-expert" believers whose
                              aim it is, is to make atheism look ridiculous, thus making us look
                              ridiculous.

                              And I hope others could add more, thank you.

                              wrote:

                              > Religion itself is the best proof that god does not exist

                            • eric sandy fernando
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                                here's an example of "moral choice" according to a chief justice applicant. at the beginning of the video, one of his proposals is moral choice/grounds in deciding cases. if you jump into 1hr 9m of the video, the discussion continued. please follow the link provided below. take note, the applicant is a dean of law in a university here in manila. poor students.

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlIj-JFn5U

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                                  Some lawyers' ideas are products of incorrect thinking.

                                  Like they've been led/trained to believe in the adage the "law is hard but it is still the law",--which makes them completely shut down all thought processes as that principle is the end of the line as far as thinking-it through is concerned.
                                  An ancient historian observed (Suetonius?) that, "the more laws a republic has, the more corrupt it is." Rings a bell? Sounds like a country we know.

                                  Here we are not taught "when law becomes injustice, rebellion becomes duty." - Thomas Jefferson. This is because the State only wants dull, obedient sheep as they are easier to control.

                                  This idea by Jefferson is not told us because that would pose a dangerous meme to the State--but what is the "State" anyway? And by who's or what's authority told them to rule over us?

                                  Back to point, law schools are like brainwash institutions.

                                  Anyway, I think all schools here are. And they get paid well for it.

                                  They're no different from prisons. They wear uniforms like in prisons. have schedules on when to eat and play like in prisons, they're told how to behave like in prisons, told what to think like in prisons. Its indoctrination, not teaching, that goes on in these places.

                                  Schools do not teach students how to think for themselves. The only difference (from being in prison) is that while they're physcally free, their minds are chained to limiting ideas that have been proven to fail from time to time.

                                  ________________________________

                                  --- In mailto:pinoy_atheists%40yahoogroups.com, Tomas Agulto <tomagulto@...>

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 2, 2012
                                    we were witness to corona;s daily mass and novena in supreme court and i thought the best mind are....

                                    wrote:

                                    > - especially religious leaders. doing good is basic to us Homo
                                    sapiens. we are a happy kind of cultured animal and continue to evolve a
                                    culture that iscientific needing no morality. Certainly, we continue to
                                    enjoy life as we love our neighbors/Â we celebrate life, we love the
                                    real life, not the good other life in heaven... there's no better
                                    life than the real life

                                  • Sarda Karaniwan
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 6, 2012
                                      Institutionalized, means the "educated".

                                      Uninstitutionalized, means "uneducated".

                                      Our society is divided into this category intentionally so that the
                                      "uneducated" majority will always be under the control of the few
                                      selected "educated" minority who claims to be the "authority" because
                                      they got "diplomas" as proof of "authority" (sic).

                                      wrote:

                                      > Some lawyers'Â ideas are products of incorrect thinking.
                                      > Like they've been led/trained to believe in the adage the "law is
                                      hard but it is still the law",--which makes them completely shut down
                                      all thought processes as that principle is the end of the line as
                                      far as thinking-it through is concerned. Â
                                      > An ancient historian observed (Suetonius?) that, "the more laws a
                                      republic has, the more corrupt it is." Rings a bell? Sounds like a
                                      country we know.
                                      > Here we are not taught "when law becomes injustice, rebellion becomes
                                      duty." - Thomas Jefferson. This is because the State only wants dull,
                                      obedient sheep as they are easier to control.
                                      > This idea by Jefferson is not told us because that would pose a
                                      dangerous meme to the State--but what is the "State" anyway? And by
                                      who's or what's authority told them to rule over us?
                                      > Back to point, law schools are like brainwash institutions.
                                      > Anyway, I think all schools here are. And they get paid well for it.
                                      > They're no different from prisons. They wear uniforms like in prisons.
                                      have schedules on when to eat and play like in prisons, they're toldÂ
                                      how to behave like in prisons, told what to think like in prisons.
                                      Its indoctrination, not teaching, that goes on in these places.
                                      > Schools do not teach students how to think for themselves. The
                                      only difference (from being in prison)Â is that while they're