freedom of speech and expression

  • heathen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2011
      The Filipino Freethinkers Facebook page is abuzz now with the furor over M Cruz' exhibit at the CCP, and the case of a bunch of Catholics led by the Pro-Life and Ang Kapatiran groups against Cruz, the CCP and its officers. The case apparently stems from Article 201 of the Revised Penal Code which in effect limits freedom of speech to what is not offensive to religious sensibilities.
      It is high time that a group of conscientious, responsible freethinking Filipinos challenge the constitutionality of Article 201 as far as it concerns religion. It not only violates the constitutional provisions on free speech, it violates the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, to which the Philippines is a signatory. General Comment No 34, which was recently passed by the UNHCR, specifically provides that "prohibition of displays of lack of respect for religious or other belief systems, including blasphemy laws, are incompatible with the Covenant."
      We should unite against the serious threat to freedom that the religious right in this country now presents.
      The problem is, action requires sound legal advise. Are there any lawyers in this group who can help?
      Now is the time to put our money where our mouth is.
      Wake up, fellow heathen!
      Butch
    • gerald turaray
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2011
        how about we have a catholic version of 'draw a muhammad' day?

        On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 04:21 +0000, "heathen" <masilver@...> wrote:
        > The Filipino Freethinkers Facebook page is abuzz now with the furor over
        > M Cruz' exhibit at the CCP, and the case of a bunch of Catholics led by
        > the Pro-Life and Ang Kapatiran groups against Cruz, the CCP and its
        ... truncated ...
        -gerald
        http://geraldturaray.deviantart.com/

        save the trees! don't print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary.

      • eric sandy fernando
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2011
          hi butch, medyo nakakalito lang yung eksena nila. may religion ba yung mga artists ng yan? religion vs religion? or if atheism vs religion, hanggang saan ang freedom ng atheism at freedom ng religion? kung art vs religion, hanggang saan din ang freedom ng art?

          we all love freedom, but as they said, freedom ends in another's freedom. the practical problem is, inaangkin ng mga religious ang kanilang god as theirs. virtually their property, their father, son, etc., mahirap maintindihan pero kanila.

          btw, im not a lawyer. isa rin ako sa naghihintay sa comments ng lawyer/s natin. regards.