Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Oliver, Why Vote?

  • John
    Message 1 of 63 , Feb 24, 2010
      Just wanna share, my thoughts on this.

      While I certainly think our government is garbage, I think government is quite necessary to maintain social order. Reducing the size or the role of government is not the solution. The government per se is not the problem. It's the PEOPLE running it. I think the Spaniards really did a number on our culture, and Pinoys can't seem to get out of the rut. Probably because the educated ones are mostly fleeing the country in search of a better life.

      The better approach is to change the culture within the government. Now, it's easy to say but extremely hard to do. Not when the people in power today are still largely the same people in power 30 years ago. Drastic measures need to be taken for such an event to occur. Another revolution? I don't know. The EDSA revolution, for me, was a farce. Nothing really changed back then. And the way the poeple revere the Aquinos as if they saved our country is barf inducing to say the least.

      With regards to garbage programming, I fully agree with you. But I can hardly fault the media for this one. They are businesses after all, and they will give the people the kind of programming they want. We can't really expect ABS-CBN or GMA to come out with BBC style documentaries when none of their customers will watch it.

      It really is sad how our country has either stagnated or declined in the rankings vs our neighboring countries. I'm also a realist, like you, and I see very little hope for our country. Some will proudly proclaim that our country was not affected very much by the asian economic crisis, or the recent credit crunch, but for me, the reason was because when you're at the bottom of the barrel, there's no way to go but up. So it's not exactly a plus sign.

      I take it, eduardo, that you're a libertarian? :)

      ________________________________
      From: PnoyHthn <nftrading2003@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Daliri sa Araneta, Feb 25 Event
      To: pinoy_atheists@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 11:10 PM

      Even if you don't vote, that 'evil' will surely be chosen for you! Anyway, there are more than two evils to choose from, so it is the very least among those evils that people should elect.

      Message 63 of 63 , Mar 26, 2010
        Dear God by XTC

        .., don't know if you noticed, but... your name is on
        A lot of quotes in this book, and us crazy humans wrote it, you
        Should take a look, and all the people that you made in your
        Image still believing that junk is true. Well I know it ain't, and
        So do you, dear God, I can't believe in I don't believe in

        I won't believe in heaven and hell. No saints, no sinners, no
        Devil as well. No pearly gates, no thorny crown. You're always
        Letting us humans down....

        On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM, kaiser_flame <kaiser_flame@...>wrote:

        > Any songs by Tim Minchin :D, Black Dahlia, Cocaphony and oh! Cannibal
        > Corpse xD it's just funny how brutal the lyrics are and then listening to
        > fundamentalist christians say "Oh my God, that's satanic" :3 it warms my
        > heart knowing I get to mess with them.

        Lito A. Lampitoc
        http://www.litolampitoc.com