Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Hello There! Newbie Agnostic here : )

  • Francis Cabarle
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 6 7:41 PM
      I quite agree.

      There's a place, I think, for every idea or word that's ever been conceived.
      Some will even cringe at the slight utterance of 'ass' while some say
      'godamnit' as as common and simple as smiling. I know people from both
      sides.

      This may seem tangential to political correctness, and perhaps it is. The
      point is, know your milieu. And since this is an atheist mailing group,
      perhaps this conversation would be more appropriate at the
      filipinofreethinkers mailing list/group. I think people there would
      certainly love and welcome threads like this. Please do join us there.

      Regards,

      Francis

      2009/7/7 <theadamfamilyoz@...>

      > Re the word Bullshit,
      >
      > There are times to use it and times not to use it, like fuck.
      >
      > Both words can convey quite a lot where others fail to raise and eyebrow.
      >
      > I believe all roads lead to Rome, and to reason and logic, So in the words
      > of Chairman
      >
      > "Let a hundred flowers bloom; let a hundred schools of thought contend"
      >

      > Some willl be persuaded by "Bullshit" as being direct to the point.
      >
      > Some by " Foolish" which to some would seem insipid.
      >
      > The trick is to know when and where both terms are best used, but that is
      > only my opinion.
      >

      > Doug Adam

    • Chili Goddess
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 7 4:04 PM
        Doug and Francis,

        Are you saying that the word BS is appropriate here or not? Not so much? :)

        Thanks!

        --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, Francis Cabarle <Jounin.F@...> wrote:

        > I quite agree.
        >
        > There's a place, I think, for every idea or word that's ever been conceived.
        > Some will even cringe at the slight utterance of 'ass' while some say
        > 'godamnit' as as common and simple as smiling. I know people from both
        > sides.
        >
        > This may seem tangential to political correctness, and perhaps it is. The
        > point is, know your milieu. And since this is an atheist mailing group,
        > perhaps this conversation would be more appropriate at the
        > filipinofreethinkers mailing list/group. I think people there would
        > certainly love and welcome threads like this. Please do join us there.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Francis
        >

        > 2009/7/7 <theadamfamilyoz@...>
        >

        > > Re the word Bullshit,
        > >
        > > There are times to use it and times not to use it, like fuck.
        > >
        > > Both words can convey quite a lot where others fail to raise and eyebrow.
        > >
        > > I believe all roads lead to Rome, and to reason and logic, So in the words
        > > of Chairman
        > >
        > > "Let a hundred flowers bloom; let a hundred schools of thought contend"
        > >

        > > Some willl be persuaded by "Bullshit" as being direct to the point.
        > >
        > > Some by " Foolish" which to some would seem insipid.
        > >
        > > The trick is to know when and where both terms are best used, but that is
        > > only my opinion.
        > >

        > > Doug Adam

      • Francis Cabarle
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 9 7:47 PM
          Hi Chili
          Technically speaking, as I've mentioned, this is an atheist mailing group so
          one would expect it to be open to discussions about deities and such. One
          then has to be more careful about other things/topics, especially those
          tangential to atheism. That's why I think the onus of the
          explanation/defense, for the use of BS for example, falls on both the reader
          and the user/starter/typer of the word. And the onus is I think heavier here
          than if this was discussed in filipinofreethinkers mailing group for
          example.
          In otherwords, I think it's appropriate here in this mailing group
          especially since we're all civil people here, but you'd have to explain
          yourself more, as compared to using/having this at filipinofreethinkers.
          Please do join us there (filipinofreethinkers) too.

          Francis