Atheism-related music

  • Benj Espina
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
      Since I'm pretty sure that a lot of atheists are well-rounded individuals,
      let me open the discussion to other issues peripheral topics.

      If any of you write songs, I'm sure you have tried writing songs about
      atheism, existentialism and agnosticism. Care to share your works?

      I recorded more than a handful from about 4-5 years ago with another atheist
      friend of mine. We wrote a lot of songs and Atheism was the recurring theme.

      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=86849 << we unofficially
      called ourselves Pariah. We never planned on taking the music elsewhere - we
      just liked the idea of writing songs.

      There's one song called "For The Weak" that never got recorded but here are
      the words. The song was made to sound like a "praise song". I played this
      song with another group of guys for a band of mine that actually saw the
      light of day as far as public performances are concerned. We had a good run
      but med school got in the way. haha.

      My promise is as good as any
      with me your souls will be all unshackled
      your sins will all be just forgotten
      i will make sure you wont be forsaken

      i am the way
      to your salvation
      i am the way
      coz i am the way

      let me help you with the cross youre carrying
      for all this time it mustve been overbearing
      your body must be sore, tired and aching
      its the perfect time for you to start believing

      i am the way
      to your salvation
      i am the way
      coz i vam the way
      i am the way
      all your sins will be erased
      i am the way
      your souls will all be saed

      for the weak who all this time have waited
      for all those with doubts
      and for those whose faiths were shaken
      id remind you of all of the inferno beneath
      meant for those who choose not to believe

      i am the way...

      --
      Benjamin A. Espina III
      Author and Founder, Phil Debate - http://phildebate.com

    • Lawrence Salmingo
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
        Wow ganda to...

        Baka merong poetry jan na pwedeng lapatan na lang ng music pwede din?

        On 1/28/09 10:33 PM, "Benj Espina" <swingonthespiral@...> wrote:

        > Since I'm pretty sure that a lot of atheists are well-rounded individuals,
        > let me open the discussion to other issues peripheral topics.
        >
        > If any of you write songs, I'm sure you have tried writing songs about
        > atheism, existentialism and agnosticism. Care to share your works?
        >
        > I recorded more than a handful from about 4-5 years ago with another atheist
        > friend of mine. We wrote a lot of songs and Atheism was the recurring theme.
        >
        > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=86849 << we unofficially
        > called ourselves Pariah. We never planned on taking the music elsewhere - we
        > just liked the idea of writing songs.
        >
        > There's one song called "For The Weak" that never got recorded but here are
        > the words. The song was made to sound like a "praise song". I played this
        > song with another group of guys for a band of mine that actually saw the
        > light of day as far as public performances are concerned. We had a good run
        > but med school got in the way. haha.
        >
        > My promise is as good as any
        > with me your souls will be all unshackled
        > your sins will all be just forgotten
        > i will make sure you wont be forsaken
        >
        > i am the way
        > to your salvation
        > i am the way
        > coz i am the way
        >
        > let me help you with the cross youre carrying
        > for all this time it mustve been overbearing
        > your body must be sore, tired and aching
        > its the perfect time for you to start believing
        >
        > i am the way
        > to your salvation
        > i am the way
        > coz i vam the way
        > i am the way
        > all your sins will be erased
        > i am the way
        > your souls will all be saed
        >
        > for the weak who all this time have waited
        > for all those with doubts
        > and for those whose faiths were shaken
        > id remind you of all of the inferno beneath
        > meant for those who choose not to believe
        >
        > i am the way...

      • redtani
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
          Maganda nga :)

          I'm sure a lot of us have similar hobbies, other than reading and
          writing and thinking a lot.

          Like Benj, musically inclined din ako, mahilig sa karaoke, rock band
          2, guitar hero WT.

          Like Jun, mahilig din ako sa movies and books, and I love the idea of
          having a book/movie club where a movie or book is assigned every month
          and we talk about it -- after-the-game-analysis as Jun put it -- in a
          meetup. We could even watch the movie together at someone's house or
          apartment.

          Madami pang iba: sports like Badminton and Basketball, nature trips,
          malling etc.

          My point is one of the main draws of religion is its sense of
          community. Members of a church don't just limit their time together to
          Sundays, they share a lot of other things together. They even have the
          SFC, which as we all know, leads eventuall to CFC.

          I read about Abraham Lincoln and how his character was formed because
          of friendship with this group of strong, intellectual, and fiercely
          practical-minded men, and I thought, it would be nice to be part of a
          group like that, too.

          And as atheists, I'm sure madalas tayong ma-out of place. Hopefully we
          can find a place we can be ourselves, a place we can belong.

          --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Salmingo
          <lawrence.salmingo@...> wrote:

          > Wow ganda to...
          >
          > Baka merong poetry jan na pwedeng lapatan na lang ng music pwede din?
          >

          > On 1/28/09 10:33 PM, "Benj Espina" <swingonthespiral@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Since I'm pretty sure that a lot of atheists are well-rounded
          individuals,
          > > let me open the discussion to other issues peripheral topics.
          > >
          > > If any of you write songs, I'm sure you have tried writing songs about
          > > atheism, existentialism and agnosticism. Care to share your works?
          > >
          > > I recorded more than a handful from about 4-5 years ago with
          another atheist
          > > friend of mine. We wrote a lot of songs and Atheism was the
          recurring theme.

          > > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=86849 << we
          unofficially
          > > called ourselves Pariah. We never planned on taking the music
          elsewhere - we
          > > just liked the idea of writing songs.
          > >
          > > There's one song called "For The Weak" that never got recorded but
          here are
          > > the words. The song was made to sound like a "praise song". I
          played this
          > > song with another group of guys for a band of mine that actually
          saw the
          > > light of day as far as public performances are concerned. We had a
          good run
          > > but med school got in the way. haha.
          > >
          > > My promise is as good as any
          > > with me your souls will be all unshackled
          > > your sins will all be just forgotten
          > > i will make sure you wont be forsaken
          > >
          > > i am the way
          > > to your salvation
          > > i am the way
          > > coz i am the way
          > >
          > > let me help you with the cross youre carrying
          > > for all this time it mustve been overbearing
          > > your body must be sore, tired and aching
          > > its the perfect time for you to start believing
          > >
          > > i am the way
          > > to your salvation
          > > i am the way
          > > coz i vam the way
          > > i am the way
          > > all your sins will be erased
          > > i am the way
          > > your souls will all be saed
          > >
          > > for the weak who all this time have waited
          > > for all those with doubts
          > > and for those whose faiths were shaken
          > > id remind you of all of the inferno beneath
          > > meant for those who choose not to believe
          > >
          > > i am the way...

        • James Patrick Nacisvalencia
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
            Nakita ko lang dati...

            http://www.atheistalliance.org/aaw/atheistmusicians_atoe.html

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
              I entirely agree with what you said.

              <lawrence.salmingo@ ...> wrote:

              > Wow ganda to...
              >
              > Baka merong poetry jan na pwedeng lapatan na lang ng music pwede din?
              >

              > On 1/28/09 10:33 PM, "Benj Espina" <swingonthespiral@ ...> wrote:
              >

              > > Since I'm pretty sure that a lot of atheists are well-rounded
              individuals,
              > > let me open the discussion to other issues peripheral topics.
              > >
              > > If any of you write songs, I'm sure you have tried writing songs about
              > > atheism, existentialism and agnosticism. Care to share your works?
              > >
              > > I recorded more than a handful from about 4-5 years ago with
              another atheist
              > > friend of mine. We wrote a lot of songs and Atheism was the
              recurring theme.

              > > http://www.soundcli ck.com/bands/ default.cfm? bandID=86849 << we
              unofficially
              > > called ourselves Pariah. We never planned on taking the music
              elsewhere - we
              > > just liked the idea of writing songs.
              > >
              > > There's one song called "For The Weak" that never got recorded but
              here are
              > > the words. The song was made to sound like a "praise song". I
              played this
              > > song with another group of guys for a band of mine that actually
              saw the
              > > light of day as far as public performances are concerned. We had a
              good run
              > > but med school got in the way. haha.
              > >
              > > My promise is as good as any
              > > with me your souls will be all unshackled
              > > your sins will all be just forgotten
              > > i will make sure you wont be forsaken
              > >
              > > i am the way
              > > to your salvation
              > > i am the way
              > > coz i am the way
              > >
              > > let me help you with the cross youre carrying
              > > for all this time it mustve been overbearing
              > > your body must be sore, tired and aching
              > > its the perfect time for you to start believing
              > >
              > > i am the way
              > > to your salvation
              > > i am the way
              > > coz i vam the way
              > > i am the way
              > > all your sins will be erased
              > > i am the way
              > > your souls will all be saed
              > >
              > > for the weak who all this time have waited
              > > for all those with doubts
              > > and for those whose faiths were shaken
              > > id remind you of all of the inferno beneath
              > > meant for those who choose not to believe
              > >
              > > i am the way...

            • redtani
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
                Thanks eduardo, and for the movie tips too :)

                --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, eduardo barot
                <eduardobarot@...> wrote:

                > I entirely agree with what you said.

              • Romeo Macapobre
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
                  parang religious song. ^_^
                  but i get it .. it is sarcasm ..

                  2009/1/28 Benj Espina <swingonthespiral@...>:
                  > Since I'm pretty sure that a lot of atheists are well-rounded individuals,
                  > let me open the discussion to other issues peripheral topics.
                  >
                  > If any of you write songs, I'm sure you have tried writing songs about
                  > atheism, existentialism and agnosticism. Care to share your works?
                  >
                  > I recorded more than a handful from about 4-5 years ago with another atheist
                  > friend of mine. We wrote a lot of songs and Atheism was the recurring theme.
                  >
                  > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=86849 << we unofficially
                  > called ourselves Pariah. We never planned on taking the music elsewhere - we
                  > just liked the idea of writing songs.
                  >
                  > There's one song called "For The Weak" that never got recorded but here are
                  > the words. The song was made to sound like a "praise song". I played this
                  > song with another group of guys for a band of mine that actually saw the
                  > light of day as far as public performances are concerned. We had a good run
                  > but med school got in the way. haha.
                  >
                  > My promise is as good as any
                  > with me your souls will be all unshackled
                  > your sins will all be just forgotten
                  > i will make sure you wont be forsaken
                  >
                  > i am the way
                  > to your salvation
                  > i am the way
                  > coz i am the way
                  >
                  > let me help you with the cross youre carrying
                  > for all this time it mustve been overbearing
                  > your body must be sore, tired and aching
                  > its the perfect time for you to start believing
                  >
                  > i am the way
                  > to your salvation
                  > i am the way
                  > coz i vam the way
                  > i am the way
                  > all your sins will be erased
                  > i am the way
                  > your souls will all be saed
                  >
                  > for the weak who all this time have waited
                  > for all those with doubts
                  > and for those whose faiths were shaken
                  > id remind you of all of the inferno beneath
                  > meant for those who choose not to believe
                  >
                  > i am the way...
                  >
                  > --
                  > Benjamin A. Espina III
                  > Author and Founder, Phil Debate - http://phildebate.com
                  > Co-author and Co-owner, Visit Sagada - http://visitsagada.com
                  > Press Secretary, Filipino Voices - http://filipinovoices.com
                  > Author and Owner, Atheista.net - http://atheista.net
                  > UP College of Medicine Class of 2010

                  apprenons francais [rmacapobre-french.blogspot.com].
                  apprenons max [rmacapobre.blogspot.com].
                • Benj Espina
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
                    Pero may mga relihiyosong hindi nakagets ha.

                    Bumenta sa kanila ang...

                    "I'll remind you of all of the inferno beneath
                    meant for those whose choose not to believe"

                    hahahahahaha

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
                      Have you heard of Greydon Square? An atheist rapper in the US who raps about atheism :)

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 28, 2009
                        Will check that out.

                        Anyway, there are mainstream bands who have great songs that could be
                        interpreted as atheism-related.

                        Judith - A Perfect Circle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eZMdixAuk
                        Eulogy - Tool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1YFLodQu1U
                        Opiate - Tool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0Zqo-vOFM

                        I love these two bands. They're fronted by Maynard James Keenan (the closest
                        thing we have to a god). I've been listening to them since high school.
                        Almost all of Tool's songs can be interpreted as atheism-related. If you
                        like progressive rock/ hard rock/ the more melodic forms of metal, you will
                        love them,

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 25, 2010
                          Here's a recording of For The Weak. Lyrics are on the first message. :p
                          I was too far away from the mic apparently.

                          http://www.zshare.net/download/753664869da20fb7/