Japan suicide hotline struggling to cope

  • Romeo Macapobre
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
      http://ph.news.yahoo.com/afp/20090108/tls-lifestyle-japan-society-suicide-aeafa1b.html

      SNIP .. The high rate in Japan is often attributed to the absence of
      religious taboos about suicide, society's strong pressure to conform
      and the lack of psychological care for depressed people.

      ... i remember thinking about suicide when i was religious .. catholic
      guilt etc .. and i am happier without religion telling me to be
      guilty, that there is something wrong with me. this is worth a
      research .. what is causing it ..

      --
      apprenons francais [rmacapobre-french.blogspot.com].
      apprenons max [rmacapobre.blogspot.com].
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2009
        The religious love to point at Japan's high suicide rate and immediately attribute it to non-religiosity, yet there are plenty of other countries just as non-religious or even more so than Japan, and they don't have high suicide rates.

        I think it's more from extremely high social pressure to perform, and the mindset of "I'd rather die than embarrass my family".

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2009
          The most likely cause of suicide is depression that doesn't have an
          outlet. Outlet to most is "god" but to me it's movies.