Re: [pinoy_atheists] Re: Hello. Guys question - What's 'BULL' Benj?

  • Benj Espina
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 7, 2008
      The "atheist republic" is non-existent. We are people only united by one
      thread -free thought. To even suggest congruence on more issues would be
      unnecessary.

      "to the author/s of this e-group, what have you envisioned when you
      'created' this? to the 'learned' men and women of the Atheist republic,
      where do we go from here?"

      This is too reminiscent of the fundamentalist rhetoric that the Republican
      party uses regarding the "founding forefathers".

      I was on duty last night so I missed it.Dang it,

      Benjamin A. Espina III
      Author and Founder, Phil Debate - http://phildebate.com
      Co-author and Co-owner, Visit Sagada - http://visitsagada.com
      Press Secretary, Filipino Voices - http://filipinovoices.com
      Author and Owner, Atheista.net - http://atheista.net
      UP College of Medicine Class of 2010

    • John
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 7, 2008
        I agree with you here...

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 7, 2008
          Agreed. I've always said that there's only one thing you will find out about a person once you know that he/she is an atheist: That he/she does not believe in a god/gods.

          By that single attribute (being an atheist), you cannot tell whether he believes in ghosts or the supernatural. You cannot tell if he believes in climate change. You cannot tell if he thinks everyone must die. You cannot tell if he believes in equal rights. That's because the only thing that atheists have in common is a non-belief in a god or gods.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 7, 2008
            And in more concrete issues, this becomes for tedious. Atheists can find
            themselves in opposite sides of contentious issues like stem cell research,
            abortion, same sex marriage, national security, etc.

            Having an atheist republic is tantamount to having our own religion.

          • Oliver Floralde
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
              nakakatawa naman ang ilang reaksiyon dito...

              kinulit ng kinulit ng husto ang paggamit�ng salitang Republic*, pero interestingly�hindi sinagot ang talagang isyu ng query, which is, where do we go from here? mukhang magandang suhestyon ang secular org. hindi man po tayo�magkasundo sa iba-ibang isyu, pero dun sa pinagkakasunduan natin, ano na ang gagawin natin?

              *pasensiyahan niyo na po ako, nakasanayan ko kasing gamitin ang salitang republic sa�ibang forum�na kasali ako... ��

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                The founding fathers have yet to log in. You better wait for their comments
                if you really want your question answered.

                --
                Benjamin A. Espina III
                Author and Founder, Phil Debate - http://phildebate.com
                Co-author and Co-owner, Visit Sagada - http://visitsagada.com
                Press Secretary, Filipino Voices - http://filipinovoices.com
                Author and Owner, Atheista.net - http://atheista.net
                UP College of Medicine Class of 2010

              • Carl Toribio
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                  OT: Yup, saw the Discovery Channel's documentary on Stephen Hawking and his quest for the theory of everything. The only thing I get irked about is Hawking's frequent use of the term God in his popular science books, yet he doesn't clarify thatthis God is a pantheist / deistic one, miles away from scripture-based imaginary friends :P

                  It's a great complement to "The Universe" series on the History Channel :D I also recommend the popular science books of another physicist, Michio Kaku.

                  <joma_sison@ ...> wrote:

                  > I don't know their organization and I am not sure on how they
                  brought (if there was a case) their feminism in public debate.
                  > The original feminist movement (early 19th) is geared mostly on
                  equal right on contract and property and the right to vote. Even at
                  that time feminism involve wide range of women, some belonging to
                  conservative religious group while others belong to the militant
                  outfit. In the US, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B Anthony were
                  active in the abolition of slavery later to involvement in the
                  movement for women's right to vote.

                  > The second upsurge of feminism was determined to be in the 60's in
                  which the concern was mainly equality and being against discrimination
                  by virtue of sex. This was the time when the phrase Women's Lib was
                  born. These were the women who "burn the bra".

                  > While the 60's Libbers are tolerant to abortion, the original
                  feminists are hostile to abortion.

                  > Gabriella represents only a portion of feminist movement – the
                  militant/radical variety. Some women fight/argue for their basic
                  rights but recognize the difference in sex, as God decreed it to be
                  and yet, they rightly call themselves Feminist.

                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  How do I pick the best badminton racket? Discover the secret on Yahoo! Answers! http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/

                • tony
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                    Hi Benj and everyone,

                    There are no founding fathers for this mailing list (although that
                    sounds vaguely familiar hehehe). This list exist because there is a
                    community of free individuals. The list is open for membership to
                    everyone subject to a few rules as stated in the group page. If there
                    are formal groups that shall some day arise from the community well
                    and good and from time to time there comes along somebody who is
                    willing to undertake/lead it although as of now I know there are no
                    active initiatives in that front. There is another list
                    (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/philippine_atheists) but it too is not
                    formally organized. As everyone can see, the PhilippineAtheists.org
                    website is also not maintained regularly although it will continue to
                    exist for a few more years.

                    --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "Benj Espina"

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                      I still stand by my original premise - binding people on the basis of
                      atheism is naive and unnecessary. Form organizations on ideologies that
                      forward something - atheism doesn't forward anything. There's just a strong
                      correlation between atheism and other values that could be important to a
                      lot of us - science, research and development, equality, tolerance,
                      secularism, civil rights etc.

                      And even if the founding fathers log in, following what they say will be
                      similar to subscribing to dogma just because it was their opinion.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                        Again, my opinion IS my opinion. There is no reason for you to be
                        riled about since I'm in no way interested in making you swing into
                        my side of the fence. Like what I said in the thread, this is an
                        atheist's group! I'm pretty sure that we have a lot of intelligent,
                        critical and outspoken people here and I don't expect us to agree at
                        all times. If you guys think it's better to just be supportive and
                        heap praise upon every idea on the table even if you don't agree with
                        it, then I don't think that's what a "forum" or a "collective" is.
                        This mailing list is essentially a loose organization who don't
                        believe/ reject the existence of a god/ supreme being. Those who are
                        willing to stick their necks out and identify themselves as an atheist
                        are probably brave and thick-skinned individuals. I don't know how a
                        minor disagreement in NGOs could be spun this way.

                        Expect your ideas to be tested in this forum and don't take things personally.

                        --
                        Benjamin A. Espina III
                        Author and Founder, Phil Debate - http://phildebate.com
                        Co-author and Co-owner, Visit Sagada - http://visitsagada.com
                        Press Secretary, Filipino Voices - http://filipinovoices.com
                        Author and Owner, Atheista.net - http://atheista.net
                        UP College of Medicine Class of 2010
                      • Pecier Decierdo
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                          Benj, note that I agree with you that the major problem of most
                          'left-leaning' organizations is that they tend to stifle individual
                          differences, and in this respect, I also dislike much of the
                          Philippine's 'red' ideology. In this respect, their socialism becomes
                          for them sort of a religion.

                          But I really disagree with you that any thinking atheist would not
                          like to join Gabriela or other organization aligned with or having
                          elements of the CCP. A lot of Gabriela's causes are legitimate and
                          very reasonable, and they (the causes, that is) do not even approach
                          communist at that. After all, one does not have to embrace the dogma
                          of an organization's ruling body in order to harmoniously cooperate
                          with a lot of that organization's activities.

                          Now, do we really need organizations? For 'mere' atheism, I have
                          already registered my agreement with you that no, we don't. But for
                          feminism (of whatever skin you prefer), secularism and the separation
                          of church and state and other similar causes, I think it is obvious
                          that we emphatically do. To make concrete achievements, I believe we
                          need to have an organized movement. Atheism does not have concrete
                          goals (and if somebody thinks its proselytizing, then I guess you're
                          right that they already view 'atheism' as a religion), but the
                          separation of church and state does. The RH bill affair is a case in
                          point. Also, for example, if there will be any attack on the integrity
                          of science education in this country, like a Philippine creationist
                          movement, for instance, then we would need to have a mobilized front
                          against it. Again, that cause is within the umbrella of the separation
                          of church and state.

                          -Pecier

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                            What do you mean, "Where do we go from here?"

                            Is it SOP for a Yahoogroup to become a registered organization?

                            Make no mistake, I'm not saying we should not form one, but the way you say it, it's as if we're REQUIRED to make one.

                            If someone has the time and resources to make a secular org, I'm all for it. I'm sure I'll be able to donate some cash, and I might even be able to donate some time.