3483Govft urged to pay Echegarayfs kin (was Re: Abolishing the death penalty)

  • pinoy_infidel
    Jun 11, 2006
      He was convicted. But it seems that capital punishment was not
      supposed to be meted to him because of the "fact" that the girl that
      he raped was not his daughter or something like that. A crucial fact
      that the court failed to established. Silly enough, if the girl is not
      his own, then the crime is not considered "heinous". I forgot to
      inlcude the link to the story but I found this one instead:

      http://news.inq7.net/nation/index.php?index=1&story_id=78660

      Tony

      --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "Romeo Macapobre"
      <romeo.macapobre@...> wrote:

      > i didnt know echegaray was eventually found innocent.
      > what overturned the case. i have not been following the news ..
      > why are we (the public) paying for their mistakes.
      >
      > max
      >
      > 2006/6/11, pinoy_infidel <paetenian@...>:
      > > Govft urged to pay Echegarayfs kin
      > > SC eerrorf sparks call for compensation
      > > FOR playing God, the government must pay.
      > > In what could be the most expensive gI am sorryh gesture the
      > > government could make, Senate Minority Leader and anti-death penalty
      > > advocate Aquilino Pimentel Jr. yesterday suggested an amount of
      > > between P5 million and P10 million as compensation to the family of
      > > Leo Echegaray for his gwrongful death.h
      >
      > --
      > apprenons francais [rmacapobre-french.blogspot.com].
      > apprenons max [rmacapobre.blogspot.com].

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic