3481Govft urged to pay Echegarayfs kin (was Re: Abolishing the death penalty)

  • pinoy_infidel
    Jun 10, 2006
      Govft urged to pay Echegarayfs kin
      SC eerrorf sparks call for compensation

      FOR playing God, the government must pay.

      In what could be the most expensive gI am sorryh gesture the
      government could make, Senate Minority Leader and anti-death penalty
      advocate Aquilino Pimentel Jr. yesterday suggested an amount of
      between P5 million and P10 million as compensation to the family of
      Leo Echegaray for his gwrongful death.h

      --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "tekton12" <tekton12@...> wrote:

      > Badboylamok,
      >
      > Thanks for the reference. I liked Greene's article on free will and
      > legal responsibility. I agree with his contention that free will is
      > an illusion. Retributivist justice is based on this illusion, ie,
      > that a criminal should be punished because he deserves it. Strictly
      > speaking, no one really "deserves it" since all our actions are
      > caused by our genes and our environment. There's no disembodied "I"
      > that controls our brains that can be held responsible for our
      > behaviors. We are our brains.
      >
      > But Greene also does not think that we should no longer punish
      > criminals. He admits to being a consequentialist; he believes that
      > punishment is justified because it removes the offender from
      > circulation and spares society from future harm - that is, the
      > consequences of punishment have a net socially redeeming value.
      > Punishment sends a message to all would-be offenders that their
      > behavior will be dealt with harshly. You don't have to believe in
      > free will in order to be a consequentialist. Nazi war criminals may
      > have been "determined" by their genes and environment to launch the
      > genocidal second World War, but they can not use this "lack of free
      > will" as an excuse for their behavior. We are still justified in
      > punishing them because doing so eliminates them as a threat and
      > spares society from future harm.
      >

      > tekton12

      > --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, badboylamok <badboylamok@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Tekton12,
      > >
      > > There is a very interesting website on this issue:
      > > http://www.csbmb.princeton.edu/~jdgreene/
      > >
      > > There are numerous links here that deal with retributivist vs.
      > > consequentialist form of justice or whatever its called.
      > >
      > > badboylamok

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic