3477Re: Abolishing the death penalty

  • tekton12
    Jun 6, 2006
      Tony,

      Points well taken. Like I said, corrupt and/or despotic governments
      should not be in the business of imposing capital punishment. They
      need to clean up their act first. Judicial judgments that emerge
      from such governments are invalid, or at least highly suspect, in my
      opinion. Only politically and economically stable governments of
      societies that are firmly grounded in libertarian principles (where
      everyone has equal standing in the law) should be meting out the
      death penalty.

      But maybe we should step back a bit and talk about the concept of
      punishment itself. Forget the death penalty for a moment. Forget
      about its association with religion. Let's look at the issue through
      secular eyes. What do you think about the concept of punishing
      another person for crimes committed against other humans? Is there a
      legitimate place, in your view, for punitive actions against
      behavior that threatens the lives of others? If you think there is,
      then how should this punitive action be carried out, who should
      carry it out, and to what extent should it be carried out?

      tekton12

      --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "pinoy_infidel"
      <paetenian@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tekton,
      >
      > My objection to the death penalty is because it's irreversible.
      Once
      > it's done, nothing can be done to reverse it if the person is in
      fact
      > innocent. Our justice system is still in the Stone Age (I think DNA
      > testing is still not very much in use) where might is right and
      where
      > trial by publicity is very common. Petty thieves such as the Floras
      > are left languishing in jail, while the plunderers can go scot-free
      > because of "technicalities". The poor Echagarays will make a fine
      > example that crime does not pay but the rich murderers can live it
      up
      > and be fine examples that justice can be bought if the price is
      right.
      > Until we perceive that our justice system has become blind to
      matters
      > of social standing and the amount of money the suspects have in the
      > bank or with whom important and powerful one is connected with, we
      are
      > simply not ready for it. That is why I welcome it for now.
      >
      > On deterrence, despite the number of executions we already had,
      crime
      > is still rampant. In short, it has not been proven to be a
      deterrent
      > to crime. What will be a deterrent for crime is when the would-be
      > violators know that the probability of getting caught and brought
      > justice far outweighs the probability of not getting caught and
      > suffering the consequences of his/her actions. That is a better
      > deterrent to crime, I suppose.
      >
      > cheers!
      > Tony

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic