3469Re: Abolishing the death penalty

  • tekton12
    Jun 4, 2006
      Tony,

      The paradox here is that if we were to abolish the death penalty on
      the grounds that it is cruel and inhumane - and may not be foolproof -
      then we can use the same argument to abolish life imprisonment. One
      can argue that spending the rest of one's life in jail is cruel and
      inhumane as well, so why don't we just make the sentence a year
      shorter? This will go on and on until we reach the point that any
      punishment - no matter how mild and short - can be considered
      inhumane. Does anyone deserve to stay one day in jail? I bet the
      offender will say he doesn't deserve any punishment at all, not even
      a slap on the wrist.

      I give qualified support for the death penalty. It is an important
      deterrent to crime. Human beings respond to incentives. If a would-be
      criminal sees that the death penalty has been abolished and the worst
      thing that can happen to him if caught is to obtain free board and
      lodging for life in the national penitentiary, then chances are that
      he will commit the crime as planned. Not only that, but abolishing
      the death penalty will also increase the incidence of vigilantism.
      Victims of heinous crimes will be tempted to take the law into their
      own hands in order to get even, since they can no longer rely on the
      authorities to do this for them. This will lead to an escalating
      cycle of violence that may be hard to stop.

      I oppose the death penalty in countries where the judicial system is
      notoriously corrupt and the political system is totalitarian. The
      accused simply doesn't stand a chance. But in countries where there
      is a reasonable chance that the accused can get a fair judgment - and
      where mechanisms of checks and balance are in place - then the death
      penalty should be available as an option. This presents a second
      paradox: dictatorships and corrupt governments should be barred from
      using capital punishment. The only governments that have earned the
      right to use it are those found in open humane societies, namely,
      liberal democracies.

      tekton12

      --- In pinoy_atheists@yahoogroups.com, "pinoy_infidel"
      <paetenian@...> wrote:

      > This is a welome move, IMO, given the state of our justice system
      > where abuse and corruption is still considerably common. This will
      > also help in our cause each time our government try to get a
      > reprieve/stay/commutation for death row convicts in other
      countries.

      > Tony
      >

      > -----------------------
      > Senate to rush approval of death penalty abolition
      >
      > THE Senate will rush the approval of the bill seeking the abolition
      of
      > the death penalty in the Philippines, Senator Joker Arroyo said on
      > Thursday.
      >
      > Arroyo, who chairs the committee on justice and human rights, said
      he
      > would sponsor the bill for plenary debates in the afternoon. He said
      > he was optimistic it would be approved before Congress adjourns
      next week.

      > http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index.php?index=1&story_id=77731

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic