Bringing up sides

  • Paula Townsend
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
      Hi all I am new to weaving and having a problem with sides of baskets. How do you bring up the sides with a gradual slope. I have only completed one basket and working on the second, my sides tend to come straight up. Also can anyone recommend a good book on pineneedle weaving?
      Thanks
    • Donna G
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
        It's a matter of needle placement inserted into the pine needles that will help with determining how sloped or straight your basket sides are.  There are two things to be aware of:  1.  The placement of the needle into the pine needles; and, 2. The position of the coil you are working on in relation to the previous coil.  When you get your coil that you are working on in the position that you want it to be, then you insert your needle in the coil below at a right angle (90 degrees).

        I have several books on how to do pine needle basketry; but, the two that I have found most helpful are the ones by Jeannie McFarland and the one called Nature's Touch:   Pine Needle and Gourd Basketry by Vicky L. Nickelson.  I also have Pine Needle Basketry:  From Forest Floor to Finished Project by Judy Mallow.  I did not find it as helpful as the one from Vicky Nickelson.  If you live near a library, you may want to see if your library has these books or can get them before you buy them.  Not all books will be helpful for all people.

        Donna

        > To: pineneedlebasketgroup@yahoogroups.com
        > From: PTownsend53@...
        > Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 17:14:08 +0000
        > Subject: [pineneedlebasketgroup] Bringing up sides
        >
        > Hi all I am new to weaving and having a problem with sides of baskets. How do you bring up the sides with a gradual slope. I have only completed one basket and working on the second, my sides tend to come straight up. Also can anyone recommend a good book on pineneedle weaving?
        > Thanks

      • Judy Byrne
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013

          On Feb 15, 2013, at 11:14 AM, "Paula Townsend" <PTownsend53@...> wrote:

           Congrads on finishing your first basket.  The book I really learned a lot from was Pine Needle Basketry by Judy Mofield Mallow.  It takes you step by step with good illustrations.  Nadine Spier has a tape, Basket Weaving Essentials, that is pricey but excellant.  The way she teaches, your stitch looks the same on the inside as well as outside which I love.  I would start with the book first.  Shaping the basket is all about angling the sewing needle and both of these sources are great.