Introduction

  • margielu1982
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2010
      Hi, I'm in NW Florida and surrounded by pine needles, so I decided I'd better learn how to craft with them. I'm looking forward to getting started, but since I'm a total newbie, I'll gladly take all advice available!

      For the first time in ages, I'm excited about pine straw!

      Margie Hays
      Pensacola, FL
    • Beverley Roberts
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2011
        I wasn't able to open any of the links..:-(

        --- In pineneedlebasketgroup@yahoogroups.com, "bustoc" <bustoc@...> wrote:

        > Hello Fellow Coilers,
        >
        > I just joined this group and wanted to introduce myself. I live in
        > Ashland, VA....a small community just north of Richmond, VA. My mother
        > taught me to coil over 30 years ago, but as a busy 20+ year old, I
        > simply had more important things to do than coil! LOL. Well, fast
        > forward about 30 years. My mother died in 2004 and while cleaning out
        > her home, I found one of her unfinished baskets. In a moment of
        > melancholy, I decided to see if I could remember how to coil so I could
        > finish the basket. Well, surprise what 30 years does to your
        > perspective. I suddenly found that I LOVED to coil. It was so nice to
        > see some fruits of your labor....unlike my toiling in corporate America!
        >
        > So that one basket started me on a roll. I have coiled off and on for
        > the last 6 years. Then, last April, I retired and a group of my
        > girlfriends did likewise. Over lunch one day, they asked me to teach
        > them how to coil. Lo and behold, they loved it too! So now, we meet
        > regularly to work on our baskets, have lunch and enjoy the retired life!
        > I dubbed us "The Basketeers".....altho some of the group prefer "The
        > Crazy Coilers".
        >
        > Rather than upload a zillion photos of our baskets, I'll point you to
        > some web pages where some time ago, I uploaded photos of not only my
        > baskets but also my mother's baskets. I also just recently created a
        > page with some of my "students" baskets. I hope you enjoy them.
        >
        > My baskets:
        >
        > <http://home.comcast.net/~carol.busto/more_baskets.html>
        > http://home.comcast.net/~carol.busto/more_baskets.html
        > <http://home.comcast.net/~carol.busto/more_baskets.html>
        >
        > My mother's baskets:
        >
        > http://home.comcast.net/~carol.busto/momsbaskets.html
        > <http://home.comcast.net/~carol.busto/momsbaskets.html>
        >
        > My student's baskets:
        >
        > http://home.comcast.net/~carol.busto/basketeer_baskets.html
        > <http://home.comcast.net/~carol.busto/basketeer_baskets.html>
        >
        > I look forward to getting many more ideas from this group.
        >
        > Happy Coiling!
        >
        > Carol Busto
        >
        > <http://home.comcast.net/~carol.busto/more_baskets.html>

      • Joe Monday
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
          Rutheilene,

          I find a good source for books and instruction at Prim Pines.com.  It is a website for Judy Mallow's business.  She has authored several books on Pine Needle Basketry and a good source of supplies.

          Joe Monday

          To: pineneedlebasketgroup@yahoogroups.com
          From: rutheilene@...
          Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:44:25 +0000
          Subject: [pineneedlebasketgroup] Introduction

          I just am a new member, live in western canada. Did a few baskets a year ago, now I am starting up again. Looking forward to enjoy this group.
          I have a question. Are there any sites or books on different stitches?