just starting

  • RuthL
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2010
      I just got some pine needles from my sister. I'm so excited, Now I am going to try a basket or????
      some are bent, do I wet them before starting or just get started.
      Anyone with some easy ideas?
      Ruth
      in Western Canada
    • gloriaa
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2010
        Ruth,

        Welcome to the group and pine needle basketmaking.

        I wash my needles before using them, to remove dirt, etc, but normally use them dry. If I have to get a lot of bend, such as at the beginning of the basket, I may use them damp so they bend without breaking.

        You can get a lot of ideas for baskets by looking at the pictures in the photo albums here. If you want to start with something simple, you can make a set of coasters, or add some sides and you have a small basket. Good luck!

        Gloria

        --- In pineneedlebasketgroup@yahoogroups.com, "RuthL" <ruella6@...> wrote:

        > I just got some pine needles from my sister. I'm so excited, Now I am going to try a basket or????
        > some are bent, do I wet them before starting or just get started.
        > Anyone with some easy ideas?
        > Ruth
        > in Western Canada

      • Beverley Roberts
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2011
          It isn't necessary to wet the needles, in fact it is better not to because when they dry, your basket could be loose and squishy. However, if you are not starting with a center stone or other center, you will need to have wet needles so you can make a teeny tiny coil. After going around a bit, you can continue wth dry needles. :-)