Re: Newbie with questions

  • Charlotte
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2008
      Katie,

      Welcome to the group from another beginner. Since I am also a reed
      basketweaver I explored various sources for waxed linen. I ordered
      mine from www.arnies.com, a well stocked supplier. They have many
      colors of waxed linen at a very competitive price. They also have the
      flared copper gauge and walnut slices. They are a good company with
      which to do business.

      I too am struggling with getting the stitches to look good on both
      sides.

      Char (in NC)

      --- In pineneedlebasketgroup@yahoogroups.com, "hayesjhu" <hayes@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I bought some basics for making a pine needle basket a week or two
      > ago at a yarn store in Utah. I'm now back on the East Coast, and
      > have a few questions.
      >
      > - Do you have preferred vendors online (or preferred sellers on
      eBay)
      > for supplies? Specifically, I'd like to get some more waxed linen
      in
      > different colors, and some sliced walnut shells.
      >
      > - I'm making my first basket, and the stitches on the outside of
      the
      > basket form nice, unbroken spirals up the outside of the baskeet.
      On
      > the inside, the stitches look more haphazard. Am I doing something
      > wrong? From the outside of the basket, I'm placing the needle
      > directly to the right of the stitch underneath, and then bringing
      the
      > needle out just to the right of the same stich on the inside.
      Should
      > I be bringing it out to the left of the stitch? Or to the right of
      > the next stitch over? I've uploaded a few blurry photos
      > (under 'Katie')
      >
      > - What do you guys use for needle gauges? Right now, I'm using a
      > drinking straw.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Katie

    • joseph schrock
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2008
        Just to share a thought: ....the copper gauges MAY be fine for some... After making my own copper gauges in all the different sizes, I came back to straws..personally I much prefer them, as I can cut them to whatever length, and they CONSISTANTLY help me to make the best stitches for my baskets....Greetings, Joe