dyeing pineneedles

  • Charlotte
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2008
      Hello members all. I am a newbie here who is just beginning to weave
      pine needle baskets. I have made reed baskets for a couple of years.
      I collected green longleaf pine needles and dried them inside. Now
      dry, they have a slightly green appearance rather than brown. I tried
      to dye some when I was dyeing reed. They did not take the dye. Is
      there something different about drying them inside rather than using
      those dried outside which become brown? From what I have read pine
      needles should dye with Cushing or Rit but require a longer time. Any
      pointers will be appreciated. Char (from the mid-coastal NC area).
    • joseph schrock

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
          Charlotte,

          Welcome to the group.

          Someone else asked about dying needles a couple years ago, and I posted
          my experience in message #140. I won't repeat it all here, but you can
          go there and see what additional help that might give you. One thing I
          will say is that I dyed significantly smaller quantities of needles
          than the previous responder mentions.

          Hope you can get your needles dyed the color you'd like.

          Gloria