Re: Newbie with questions

  • giraffe251
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2008
      Katie and Gloria:

      I'm a newbie, also.

      I'm trying my fourth basket, and my stitches, although getting
      better, still look broken and uneven. I'm going to try what you
      described and see if that helps.

      I'm using upholstery thread but would like to try raffia. (I
      haven't found it at craft stores, but I haven't looked very hard,
      either.)

      Katie,I'd love to see your basket; how do I go to your album?

      If I can my stitches to look better, I'll take a picture of one of
      my baskets & figure out how to post it/upload it.

      It's a fun craft, isn't it?!

      Giraffe251
    • Charlotte
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5 5:04 PM
        Katie,

        Welcome to the group from another beginner. Since I am also a reed
        basketweaver I explored various sources for waxed linen. I ordered
        mine from www.arnies.com, a well stocked supplier. They have many
        colors of waxed linen at a very competitive price. They also have the
        flared copper gauge and walnut slices. They are a good company with
        which to do business.

        I too am struggling with getting the stitches to look good on both
        sides.

        Char (in NC)

        --- In pineneedlebasketgroup@yahoogroups.com, "hayesjhu" <hayes@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I bought some basics for making a pine needle basket a week or two
        > ago at a yarn store in Utah. I'm now back on the East Coast, and
        > have a few questions.
        >
        > - Do you have preferred vendors online (or preferred sellers on
        eBay)
        > for supplies? Specifically, I'd like to get some more waxed linen
        in
        > different colors, and some sliced walnut shells.
        >
        > - I'm making my first basket, and the stitches on the outside of
        the
        > basket form nice, unbroken spirals up the outside of the baskeet.
        On
        > the inside, the stitches look more haphazard. Am I doing something
        > wrong? From the outside of the basket, I'm placing the needle
        > directly to the right of the stitch underneath, and then bringing
        the
        > needle out just to the right of the same stich on the inside.
        Should
        > I be bringing it out to the left of the stitch? Or to the right of
        > the next stitch over? I've uploaded a few blurry photos
        > (under 'Katie')
        >
        > - What do you guys use for needle gauges? Right now, I'm using a
        > drinking straw.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Katie

      • joseph schrock
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5 5:17 PM
          Just to share a thought: ....the copper gauges MAY be fine for some... After making my own copper gauges in all the different sizes, I came back to straws..personally I much prefer them, as I can cut them to whatever length, and they CONSISTANTLY help me to make the best stitches for my baskets....Greetings, Joe