Newbie with questions

  • hayesjhu
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 20, 2008
      Hi,

      I bought some basics for making a pine needle basket a week or two
      ago at a yarn store in Utah. I'm now back on the East Coast, and
      have a few questions.

      - Do you have preferred vendors online (or preferred sellers on eBay)
      for supplies? Specifically, I'd like to get some more waxed linen in
      different colors, and some sliced walnut shells.

      - I'm making my first basket, and the stitches on the outside of the
      basket form nice, unbroken spirals up the outside of the baskeet. On
      the inside, the stitches look more haphazard. Am I doing something
      wrong? From the outside of the basket, I'm placing the needle
      directly to the right of the stitch underneath, and then bringing the
      needle out just to the right of the same stich on the inside. Should
      I be bringing it out to the left of the stitch? Or to the right of
      the next stitch over? I've uploaded a few blurry photos
      (under 'Katie')

      - What do you guys use for needle gauges? Right now, I'm using a
      drinking straw.

      Thanks,

      Katie
    • GMArcher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2008
        Katie,

        I hope you're enjoying your new craft.

        I can't help you with a source of waxed linen thread. I usually use
        raffia, which I buy at local craft stores. Once in a
        while I use upholstery thread (also local), or artificial sinew
        (online, but I don't remember which site). If you search on black
        walnut slices, I'm sure you'll find some online sources.

        You're not doing anything wrong, with the stitch you're doing. That
        stitch has a "good" side and a "bad" side. It is possible to do that
        stitch and make both sides line up like your good side, but you have
        to angle your needle back as you go through the needles so it also
        lines up with the previous stitch on the inside. It's kind of hard
        to explain, but if you experiment, I think you'll see what I'm
        saying. I don't think "left" and "right", but as you "snug up" the
        stitch, it should naturally want to be tight to the stitch in the
        lower coil that you're putting it next to. Another thing you can do,
        is split the stitch. Put the needle in the middle of the thread,
        instead of on one side. This is easier to do with raffia, which is
        wider than thread. Again, you can do this on both sides so you get a
        nice line of stitches on both the inside and outside. But again,
        what you're doing now is not "wrong". When I do that stitch I decide
        when I start the basket which side (inside or outside) I want to look
        best and shape the basket so that's the good side.

        I also use a piece of straw as a gauge. I have a couple different
        diameter straws for different "weight" baskets. I know some poeple
        use a little piece of metal tubing with a flanged end. You might
        find that in a plumbing department. Just get one that's the diameter
        you want.

        Hope that helps! Feel free to ask more questions.

        Gloria

        --- In pineneedlebasketgroup@yahoogroups.com, "hayesjhu" <hayes@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I bought some basics for making a pine needle basket a week or two
        > ago at a yarn store in Utah. I'm now back on the East Coast, and
        > have a few questions.
        >
        > - Do you have preferred vendors online (or preferred sellers on
        eBay)
        > for supplies? Specifically, I'd like to get some more waxed linen
        in
        > different colors, and some sliced walnut shells.
        >
        > - I'm making my first basket, and the stitches on the outside of
        the
        > basket form nice, unbroken spirals up the outside of the baskeet.
        On
        > the inside, the stitches look more haphazard. Am I doing something
        > wrong? From the outside of the basket, I'm placing the needle
        > directly to the right of the stitch underneath, and then bringing
        the
        > needle out just to the right of the same stich on the inside.
        Should
        > I be bringing it out to the left of the stitch? Or to the right of
        > the next stitch over? I've uploaded a few blurry photos
        > (under 'Katie')
        >
        > - What do you guys use for needle gauges? Right now, I'm using a
        > drinking straw.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Katie

      • hayesjhu
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 20, 2008
          Thank you for your reply. I did find two stores -- Prim Pines and
          Primitive Originals -- which were able to supply me with more
          needles, some walnut slices, and some more waxed linen. I am
          enjoying my new craft very much. I finished my very small basket as
          it wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I started. I wanted to
          convserve the supplies that I have, so I can make a larger, flatter
          basket, hopefully with better looking stitches on the interior and
          exterior. In the meantime, I have a small basket to hold up my
          sewing needle and gauge. I put a picture of it in my album ('Katie').

          Thanks again,

          Katie

          --- In pineneedlebasketgroup@yahoogroups.com, "GMArcher"
          <gmarcher@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > - I'm making my first basket, and the stitches on the outside of
          > the
          > > basket form nice, unbroken spirals up the outside of the
          baskeet.
          > On
          > > the inside, the stitches look more haphazard. Am I doing
          something
          > > wrong? From the outside of the basket, I'm placing the needle
          > > directly to the right of the stitch underneath, and then bringing
          > the
          > > needle out just to the right of the same stich on the inside.
          > Should
          > > I be bringing it out to the left of the stitch? Or to the right
          of
          > > the next stitch over? I've uploaded a few blurry photos
          > > (under 'Katie')
          > >
          > > - What do you guys use for needle gauges? Right now, I'm using a

        • giraffe251
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2008
            Katie and Gloria:

            I'm a newbie, also.

            I'm trying my fourth basket, and my stitches, although getting
            better, still look broken and uneven. I'm going to try what you
            described and see if that helps.

            I'm using upholstery thread but would like to try raffia. (I
            haven't found it at craft stores, but I haven't looked very hard,
            either.)

            Katie,I'd love to see your basket; how do I go to your album?

            If I can my stitches to look better, I'll take a picture of one of
            my baskets & figure out how to post it/upload it.

            It's a fun craft, isn't it?!

            Giraffe251
          • Charlotte
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2008
              Katie,

              Welcome to the group from another beginner. Since I am also a reed
              basketweaver I explored various sources for waxed linen. I ordered
              mine from www.arnies.com, a well stocked supplier. They have many
              colors of waxed linen at a very competitive price. They also have the
              flared copper gauge and walnut slices. They are a good company with
              which to do business.

              I too am struggling with getting the stitches to look good on both
              sides.

              Char (in NC)

              wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I bought some basics for making a pine needle basket a week or two
              > ago at a yarn store in Utah. I'm now back on the East Coast, and
              > have a few questions.
              >
              > - Do you have preferred vendors online (or preferred sellers on
              eBay)
              > for supplies? Specifically, I'd like to get some more waxed linen
              in
              > different colors, and some sliced walnut shells.
              >
              > - I'm making my first basket, and the stitches on the outside of
              the
              > basket form nice, unbroken spirals up the outside of the baskeet.
              On
              > the inside, the stitches look more haphazard. Am I doing something
              > wrong? From the outside of the basket, I'm placing the needle
              > directly to the right of the stitch underneath, and then bringing
              the
              > needle out just to the right of the same stich on the inside.
              Should
              > I be bringing it out to the left of the stitch? Or to the right of
              > the next stitch over? I've uploaded a few blurry photos
              > (under 'Katie')
              >
              > - What do you guys use for needle gauges? Right now, I'm using a
              > drinking straw.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Katie

            • joseph schrock
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5, 2008
                Just to share a thought: ....the copper gauges MAY be fine for some... After making my own copper gauges in all the different sizes, I came back to straws..personally I much prefer them, as I can cut them to whatever length, and they CONSISTANTLY help me to make the best stitches for my baskets....Greetings, Joe