Raffia Tip

  • GMArcher
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2005
      Several people have been having trouble using raffia, finding that it
      splits and breaks. Here's something I tried this week that seems to
      help.

      Put a few pieces of raffia in a plastic bag and sprinkle a little water
      in the bag, just enough so the raffia will get damp. Seal it and after
      the raffia has become evenly damp, split each piece of raffia into
      usable widths. Let it dry; it won't take long. As it dries, it will
      roll up a bit, becoming more threadlike. It also seems to be stiffer
      (less soft). I've found that the lengths of raffia I've done this to
      are less likely to split as I use them.

      Hope this helps!