New photos and questions

  • Deb Bacon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2007
      I posted pics of my latest baskets. These are my first ones and were
      inspired by baskets from Judy Mallow's book. I am anxious to start
      some new ones with my own designs as lay awake at night thinking of
      unique ideas (at least I hope they are). Basket-making is so
      addicting!

      I was in the craft store the other day and was drawn to a wall of
      embroidery floss. There were many beautiful colors in jewel tones and
      it made me wonder if anyone uses floss to wrap their coils. I am not
      sure the floss is strong enough for the entire basket but I thought it
      might work for the decorative wrapping of coils. Thoughts anyone?

      Deb Bacon-Edwards
    • GMArcher
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2007
        Deb,

        Nice baskets! I can see the Judy Mallow influence.

        I used embroidery floss once, because I like the variety of colors
        available too. I used it for all the stitching, and it was
        sufficiently strong. I used 2 or 3 threads together, just as you do
        when you use if for emboidery. If you go to my photo
        album "Gloria_A" and look at the picture called "Tops and baskets"
        the one I did with embroidery floss is the basket top in the
        foreground. I used brown and orange embroidery floss. I don't
        remember why I didn't make more baskets with floss. I think I got
        some dyed raffia and started using that and liked it better.

        As I said, since then I've used dyed raffia, sometimes dying my own.
        If you look in my album "Gloria_06", the baskets labeled "Full wrap"
        and "Triangle Twist" were both done with dyed raffia and have nice
        vibrant colors. In that album there's also a basket labeled "Paper
        Raffia". I didn't like the paper raffia and don't recommend that.

        I look forward to seeing more of your baskets. You're right, this is
        addictive.

        Gloria