Learn By Agenda application

  • Bob Newell
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
      I have put my latest release, "Learn By Agenda" on my web page at

      http://www.chungkuo.org/agenda/agenda.html

      This is a proof of concept text mode learning system based on space
      interval recall techniques. I am using it myself to study `Olelu Hawai`i
      with some modest success. Your mileage will vary; the user interface is a
      little odd at first, and bugs are guaranteed to be present.

      I only have one more app in the works, a diabetic monitor which I
      currently use, but it is not ready for prime time. After that I will
      cease to annoy everyone with my little toys!

      Putting together all these sample apps and macros has been an interesting
      learning experience for me, and quite entertaining. I hope someone out
      there will find something of use, even if only as sample code.

      Bob Newell
      Santa Fe, New Mexico
    • Bob Newell
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
        If deemed appropriate I'd like to start a little discussion here comparing
        Agenda and ZOOT. This is prompted by some private e-mails saying that
        various Agenda users have switched to ZOOT.

        I have given ZOOT a trial and it's pretty interesting. It has all the
        Windows stuff you might expect, and has some resemblances to Agenda with
        rules, conditions, etc.

        What seems to be quite different, though, is how automatic category
        assignments are done.

        In Agenda, as you know, if I have a category called "pinball" then any
        item containing the text "pinball" gets assigned to that category.

        On the other hand, in ZOOT, it appears that a specific rule has to be set
        up for a "pinball" smart folder to capture these items. It doesn't seem
        to be automatic. If I understand this correctly, it seems a major
        limitation of ZOOT compared with Agenda.

        What are some other observations that show ZOOT to be more functional, or
        less so, than Agenda?
      • Bruce Sohn
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
          Zoot has an option to automatically configure a rule
          for the name of the category. The option can be turned
          on or off. In that sense, it is a step beyond Agenda.

          Zoot covers most of the areas that Agenda did. Some of
          the things are configured a bit differently but, with
          very few exceptions, there is almost nothing that
          Agenda can do that Zoot can not.

          One noteable feature that is missing is the ability to
          have separators within views. I miss this in Zoot but
          there are MANY things that Zoot can do that Agenda
          could not.

          -bs
          --- Bob Newell <chungkuo@...> wrote:
          > If deemed appropriate I'd like to start a little
          > discussion here comparing
          > Agenda and ZOOT. This is prompted by some private
          > e-mails saying that
          > various Agenda users have switched to ZOOT.
          >
          > I have given ZOOT a trial and it's pretty
          > interesting. It has all the
          > Windows stuff you might expect, and has some
          > resemblances to Agenda with
          > rules, conditions, etc.
          >
          > What seems to be quite different, though, is how
          > automatic category
          > assignments are done.
          >
          > In Agenda, as you know, if I have a category called
          > "pinball" then any
          > item containing the text "pinball" gets assigned to
          > that category.
          >
          > On the other hand, in ZOOT, it appears that a
          > specific rule has to be set
          > up for a "pinball" smart folder to capture these
          > items. It doesn't seem
          > to be automatic. If I understand this correctly, it
          > seems a major
          > limitation of ZOOT compared with Agenda.
          >
          > What are some other observations that show ZOOT to
          > be more functional, or
          > less so, than Agenda?
          >

          > To unsubscribe from this list simply send an e-mail
          > to:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          =====

          -Bruce Sohn
          Albuquerque, NM

          HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
          http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
        • James Salla
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
            Bruce Sohn wrote: "One noteable feature that is missing is the ability to
            have separators within views. I miss this in Zoot but there are MANY things
            that Zoot can do that Agenda could not."

            Agreed. Agenda made (or makes) a distinction between raw data (the
            items and notes in a database), how you organize the data (the category
            hierarchy), and how you show the date (views). In Zoot, the category
            hierarchy and the views are essentially merged. Zoot will not let you show
            more than one view at a time. Agenda's approach, which is similar to the
            set-up of several more conventional database products such as MS-Access and
            Paradox, lets you tailor the end result much more precisely.

            Agenda also lets you create extra date categories and has numeric and
            unindexed categories that you don't find in Zoot.

            Zoot's biggest advantage over Agenda is that it is much easier to
            import data into the Windows program. One of Agenda's great drawbacks in
            the days of DOS was that there was no easy way to take information from a
            WordPerfect file or another application and pour it into an Agenda database.
            Zoot clips text beautifully and can be set up to automatically the titles
            and URL's of every web-site you visit. Large text files and be imported and
            automatically split into manageable chunks as long as you can identify a
            consistent delimiter.

            Zoot also has a nifty "linking" feature. A hypertext link can be
            established between any two items -- even items in different databases.
            Over time, the user can build up a useful network of cross-references, a
            little like the "Memex" device that V. Bush described in that famous article
            in the Atlantic Monthly. This network supplements the folder system as a
            way to subdivide and manage information.

            Finally, Zoot offers an advanced query features that lets you search
            across many databases at once. A brilliant idea. I wish the databases I
            use at work had this feature.

            James B. Salla
            Chicago, IL
          • Charles W. Bradley
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
              On 5 Nov 2002 at 10:04, James Salla wrote:

              > Finally, Zoot offers an advanced query features that lets you
              > search
              > across many databases at once. A brilliant idea. I wish the
              > databases I use at work had this feature.

              Hi James,
              I have used Lotus Magellan to do this with Agenda files for years,
              via Magellan's "explore" and "index" features. Very cool! Magellan
              and Agenda seem like they were made for one another.

              The premier DOS programs: Agenda, Magellan, Grandview, WordPerfect
              6.1, and 123 remain very powerful and useful tools.

              Cordially,
              Charles
              Charles Bradley
              Hopewell Presbyterian Church, Columbia, TN
              Union Grove Presbyterian Church, Columbia, TN
              Grace Presbyterian Church, Hohenwald, TN
              http://www.hifo.net/hopewell/

              "Let Thy works praise Thee, that we may love Thee; and let us love
              Thee, that
              Thy works may praise Thee." Aurelius Augustine

              cwbrad@...