"Big Meeting" planning -- it's fast approaching!

  • Dave Hunter
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006

      Hi All,

      As you may remember, I agreed to coordinate the annual "big meeting"  at one of the monthly meetings a while ago. The date is 6 January if I'm recalling correctly. (please correct this if I have it wrong!) I will be out of town all of next week – work trip to Phoenix – so the best I can do is try this electronically. Here's what I think is needed, but feel free to jump in with your own ideas.

      1. A venue – I've heard Dave C and Claudia's church suggested. Could the two of you please get together and find out what it would cost to hold the meeting there and report back to this list? If some one else can think of other possibilities, please check them out and let the group know what it would cost & how many people can be accommodated.

      2. An agenda – What I propose is something like this:

        1. Open Space 9:00 to 11:30

        2. Lunch 11:30 to 12:30 – Potluck? Brown bag? Every person forage for themselves?

        3. Formal Consensus training 12:30 to 1:30 -- check out the online book

        4. Group decision/priority-setting session using results of Open Space and statutory requirements as a scaffold 1:30 to 4:00

        Dave E, I believe you said you might be able to facilitate the Open Space part – is two hours enough? What's the minimum number of people required for it to work well?

        I believe I can come up with a person to do the consensus training bit and possibly facilitate the following session.

      3. People to attend the meeting. This is likely going to be the most challenging. My view is that there is no substitute for personal contact. I'm not willing to promise Dave S's time, but when I asked, he sent me a list of all the registered greens in my precinct and the surrounding precincts. That works out to 77 names. Many of them have phone numbers. Once we have the plans for the meeting a bit more firmed up, I plan to attempt to contact everyone on the list and invite them. I've done this kind of cold calling/door knocking before and I'd be thrilled if 10% of the people on the list actually showed at the meeting.

        Do the arithmetic, it's going to take more than just me doing this to get very many people there which translates to more people than me doing something similar. For the record, I have lists for precinct 244 (where I live), 72, 73, 74, 75, 167, 168. You can get what I think is a current precinct map here: http://www.co.pima.az.us/cob/redist/maps.htm

      That about covers the main things that need to be accomplished. It would be nice to get this partially lined out before the meeting Tuesday.

      dave h
    • Risa Shire
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2006
        Hi Dave,

        I'm very interested in being involved, but will unfortunately be out of town on January 6th.

        Best,
        Risa

      • ellquist.co.atty@juno.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
          $65 to rent the fellowship hall, where we had the banquet during the
          GP-US mconvention. $25 to rent the upstairs meeting room that we have
          used at times when hosting a state AzGP meeting. I can check tomorrow
          morning about availability.

          --claudia
          ----------------

        • Dave Hunter
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
            Thanks Claudia,

            Is the $65 for the entire day? That seems inexpensive!

            dave

            On 12/4/06, ellquist.co.atty@... <ellquist.co.atty@...

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               mailto: pimagreens_discuss-digest@yahoogroups.com
               mailto:pimagreens_discuss-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • ellquist.co.atty@juno.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
              On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 "Dave Hunter" <dave.d.hunter@...> writes:
              > Thanks Claudia,
              > Is the $65 for the entire day? That seems inexpensive!
              > dave

              It is what we paid for two hours. The whole day might be more, or the
              same. The $25 for the upstairs room, however, is for all day on a
              Saturday, because that is how we used it: 10am til 4pm. I didn't get to
              talk to the guy in the office this morning, so have to check tomorrow
              about availability.

              --claudia
            • ellquist.co.atty@juno.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
                DaveH

                Yes, it is Saturday, Jan 6. (The state AzGP meeting is in Phoenix the
                following Saturday.)

                The large room at the church ($65) is not available that day. I've
                tentatively reserved the smaller upstairs room ($25), which sits as many
                as 30. (We could use the usual meeting room at the Y, but it is smaller
                and the parking is worse.) Anyway. I was told that rates on rooms at the
                church are scheduled to go up on Jan 1, but we are locked in to the $25
                for the smaller room.

                Alternatively, if the weather is as nice as now, perhaps we could use
                someone's backyard, or a public park. If so, I'll cancel the room.

                --claudia
                -------------

                <http://www.openspaceworld.org/cgi/wiki.cgi?AboutOpenSpace> 9:00 to

              • dave@reststop.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 19, 2006
                  On 2 Dec 2006 at 7:51, Dave Hunter wrote:

                  > Dave E, I believe you said you might be able to facilitate the Open
                  > Space part - is two hours enough? What's the minimum number of people
                  > required for it to work well?

                  Two hours is enough for open space. The minimum would probably be about 4 break
                  out sessions with 4 people each. The largest I've done is a dozen break out
                  sessions with about 20 people each. If we end up with a rather small turnout,
                  I'll turn it into a couple of Open Question circles (another very powerful
                  group process, it can also handle groups of 50-100).

                  > People to attend the meeting. This is likely going to be the most
                  > challenging. My view is that there is no substitute for personal contact. I'm
                  > not willing to promise Dave S's time, but when I asked, he sent me a list of
                  > all the registered greens in my precinct and the surrounding precincts. That

                  I'd like to get a similar list for my precinct, which is 35.

                  For the Earth...
                  _dave_(this entire message is composed of recycled electrons)
                  Natural Systems Solutions
                  http://www.attractionretreat.org/NSS
                  Sustainable lifestyles, organizations, and communities