[SR] Seattle Cosmic Game Night, 29 Mar 2003 (piecepack interest)

  • Ron Hale-Evans
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 1:03 PM
      The latest Seattle Cosmic Game Night session report, with numerous
      photos and comments by group members, has been posted to the Wiki.

      Seattle Cosmic Game Night 2003-03-22 ... Taco Dirty to Me ... Bitin'
      Off Hedz, The Amazing Labyrinth, Mare Nostrum, Elfenland, Froggy
      Bottom (piecepack) x2, Netrunner, Bridges (prototype), Ra, Fresh Fish,
      Arcana (prototype), Xxxenophile, Monsters Ravage America, Traumfabrik,
      Wise & Otherwise, Sanctuary.

      http://www.ludism.org/scwiki/SeattleCosmicGameNight20030322

      From now on, Seattle Cosmic will attempt to review at least one
      piecepack game from piecepack.org every week. This week's game is
      Froggy Bottom by Clay Blankenship. If you don't want to read the
      whole session report, you can read the Froggy Bottom review on its own
      page:

      http://www.ludism.org/scwiki/Froggy_20Bottom

      You can read more about our piecepack game review program and find a
      link to our list of reviewed piecepack games here:

      http://www.ludism.org/scwiki/piecepack

      Share and Enjoy!

      Ron H-E

      --
      Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
      Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5 1:49 PM
        Those who think "meaningful coincidence" is an oxymoron need not
        apply...

        Shortly after I sent the message below to the piecepack list (I had
        not yet seen the list return it), I turned on the radio and stepped
        into the shower. The first thing I heard was the announcer on the NPR
        program _American Routes_ say he was going to play the song "Froggy
        Bottom" by Jimmy Witherspoon with Jay McShann and His Band. (I'm
        getting the song details from www.amroutes.com. The album is _Goin'
        to Kansas City Blues_ on RCA.) Then I heard the song.

        I have to say that the caption "Froggy Bottom Boys" on the pages below
        does not come from the song, which I had never heard before and did
        not know existed, but is a pun on "Soggy Bottom Boys", the name the
        fugitives take in the recent movie _O Brother, Where Art Thou?_ when
        they cut a record. I'm guessing "Soggy Bottom Boys" is a pun on
        "Froggy Bottom Boys", so we've come full circle.

        It would seem our effort to review piecepack games may be "in harmony
        with the time", as the I Ching would put it. Skeptics are welcome to
        believe it's all mass hypnosis. :-)

        Ron