Trophy Cloth finished (plus piecepack goodies)!

  • Ron Hale-Evans
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
      Greetings all--

      The piecepack contest Trophy Cloth is finally finished, packed up, and
      ready to be shipped to Mike Schoessow on Monday. Mike will sign it,
      with an annotation that he was the second contest winner, then send it
      on to the third contest winner after he announces the results of the
      contest on Monday. I hope Mike takes the opportunity to play on it
      once or twice before he sends it to the third winner; it's not really
      fair to him that we took so long to get the cloth together that he has
      hardly any time with it.

      For those of you who don't know, the Trophy Cloth is a
      card-table-sized tablecloth embroidered with all four standard
      piecepack suit symbols, meant to be autographed by each game design
      contest winner and passed on to the next one. I took a few photos of
      it before I wrapped it up for mailing today. Here's a shot of it
      spread out on a card table:

      http://www.ludism.org/piecepack/trophy-cloth/01_overview.jpg

      Here's a shot as it would be seen during a hypothetical piecepack game
      that requires placing the pieces of each suit next to their respective
      embroidered suit icons:

      http://www.ludism.org/piecepack/trophy-cloth/02_pp_spread.jpg

      Here's a close-up of some of the very nice embroidery on the cloth:

      http://www.ludism.org/piecepack/trophy-cloth/03_embroidery.jpg

      Here's a side view of the tablecloth, so you can see where we signed
      it:

      http://www.ludism.org/piecepack/trophy-cloth/04_side_view.jpg

      And this one is mostly for me and Marty, rather than you folks -- a
      closeup of where we signed the cloth as the first winners:

      http://www.ludism.org/piecepack/trophy-cloth/05_kidsprout.jpg

      It may look as though we pulled a John Hancock with our autograph, but
      it is very hard to write small with the fabric paint markers we were
      using, and there really is plenty of room on the cloth. It will be
      years (at the current rate of contests) before we run out of room for
      signatures on the cloth.

      Technically, the embroidery was not that expensive, but the
      "digitisation", the conversion from a computer graphic of the logo
      into a set of stitches that the embroidery machine could use, was
      costly. (The whole piecepack community will reap a benefit from this
      investment, however. See my next message.) While Marty and I both
      have small businesses at the moment ("small" is the keyword here), we
      are technically unemployed, and we could not have gotten the Trophy
      Cloth out the door without the generous financial assistance of
      piecepack players like you: Mike Schoessow, David Hassell, and Tim
      Schutz. Thanks a lot, guys! (The irony that Mike contributed a fair
      chunk of change to what was supposed to be his award does not escape
      me. Thank you for being patient, Mike.)

      That's about it. The package will go out to Mike via Priority Mail as
      early as possible on Monday. Mike, you are still at the same address
      in Belmont as when you won the Ludic Synergy Contest, correct?

      Goodbye, little Trophy Cloth! Come back to us soon! :-)

      Ron and Marty

      --
      Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
      Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
        Looks really nice. Now there's even more of an incentive to win a piecepack
        contest.

        http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/