Re: Andy Looney changes his mind

  • LazarusLong601
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      Ok...I'll be the first to admit that I'm no legal expert, but can
      anyone explain to me how someone can think that a gamepiece like
      colored plastic pyramids can be patentable? To me, this is like
      saying that red polygon dice can be patentable.

      I can understand if it's a unique process, like the "clik" base of
      Mage Knight figures or even a unique rules process like Wizard of the
      Coast CCG rules (although that one was actually up for debate too),
      but this one I just don't get...

      Or am I misunderstanding the situation...?

      Laz
    • Karol
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
        It's my understanding that, and correct me if I'm wrong *shutter*, virtually
        any "thing" can be patented, if it meets certain requirements. Such as being
        a new item, not currently being marketed or previously patented (unless
        renewing), or even a new way of making some things.

        Some things are trickier than other to get patented. And some things really
        can't be, I guess that's when copyright comes into play. Like with the
        stamps we used on our First Editions. Those were purchased at stores, then
        we learned that those images weren't to be used limitlessly without
        additional charges. BUT we could go ahead and create custom artwork all our
        own (in this case mine) and not have to pay anyone royalties. So, our 2nd
        Edition Sun is still a Sun but not the Sun that was on 1st Edition.

        Maybe this doesn't really fit with the conversation, and if not I apologize.

        I don't know why but I was under the impression that the IceHouse Patent had
        been allowed to lapse so this whole discussion came as a shock to me. I just
        figured that soon anyone who wanted to buy IceHouse pieces would be able to
        get them wholesale and use them for whatever they wished. However, this
        essay leads me to believe that somewhere I was let astray - and makes me
        wonder where I read that in the first place.

        Hope everyone is doing well,
        Karol MMB
        (little disclaimer - this e-mail is personal opinion and in no way
        affiliated with the joint views of those at Mesomorph Games)
        > Ok...I'll be the first to admit that I'm no legal expert, but can
        > anyone explain to me how someone can think that a gamepiece like
        > colored plastic pyramids can be patentable? To me, this is like
        > saying that red polygon dice can be patentable.
        >
        > I can understand if it's a unique process, like the "clik" base of
        > Mage Knight figures or even a unique rules process like Wizard of the
        > Coast CCG rules (although that one was actually up for debate too),
        > but this one I just don't get...
        >
        > Or am I misunderstanding the situation...?
        >
        > Laz

      • Prophesor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
          --- Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe@...> wrote:
          > This afternoon Andy told me he now thinks that piecepack
          > pyramids
          > DON'T infringe on his patent. He said he didn't realise that
          > piecepack pyramids are all the same colour, and he was going
          > to revise
          > his essay.

          So then he wrote the original essay without ever seeing the
          piecepack pyramids pdf? Outstanding.

          I have to say (not that my opinion matters to anybody,
          particularly anyone with a patent or three..) , I think that if
          sombeody came along with a pdf that folded up into little
          colored pyramids, Andy'd have a cause, if not a case. And maybe
          a case, too; I'm no legal well of Mimir.

          But a pyramid that amounts to a piecepack tile deformed in space
          is still a piecepack tile. IMHO.

          And lest anyone think I'm bashing, I love my Icehouse set. The
          realtime shoot/barricade game, whatever its name is, is one
          reason why fold-up paper anything just can't replace the quality
          of the actual little plastic pieces.

          http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Andy/Games/PatentsAndLawsuits.html

          > I guess that's progress...
          >
          > Ron

          I wonder how he'll feel when he actually looks at the pdf?
          Until he has, he's just wasting everybody's time, and possibly
          rattling a little sabre for good measure.

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com