Wendy's and Piecepack. or Chick Fil A.

  • Emily Page
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
      Mom of two.

      So... we get all sorts of interesting stuff in kids' meals these days. I
      notice thinkfun is all over Wendy's with the clever castle and rush hour.

      Does anyone know anyone who knows the janitor's niece's cousin's best friend
      that works over at the Wendy's or Chick Fil a kids meal planning area?

      I just think they could have a big success with punch out piecepacks in kids
      meals... and have two games printed up and the website to find more games
      and nicer do-it-yourself sets.

      And I could stop remaking these things for all my kids' friends.

      Not that that isn't my idea of a grand time, mind you...

      Just...

      Maybe this could be cheaply mass produced and dumped into kids' meals. And I
      wouldn't find myself covered in glue and inkjet toner so much. Maybe.

      I could go buy 20 of them and be super happy. Also... a fold-up box to keep
      all the parts in would be great, too.

      Maybe they could do one suit at a time... and maybe come up with games for
      one suit.

      "Collect 'em All" ... maybe that's Pokemon. who knows.

      Emily Page

      ps - this is the part where I demand a pony, I think.

      -------->
      follow me on twitter! @emilypage
      <-------

    • Ron Hale-Evans
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
        Some people (including me) have speculated that the new piecepacks
        manufactured by ToyVault are going to be inexpensive, costing
        something like a standard deck of cards. Certainly they've stated
        their intent to mass-market piecepacks and get them into every game
        and hobby shop in the US.

        Ron H-E

        On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Emily Page <emily.page@...> wrote:
        > Mom of two.
        >
        > So... we get all sorts of interesting stuff in kids' meals these days.  I
        > notice thinkfun is all over Wendy's with the clever castle and rush hour.
        >
        > Does anyone know anyone who knows the janitor's niece's cousin's best friend
        > that works over at the Wendy's or Chick Fil a kids meal planning area?
        >
        > I just think they could have a big success with punch out piecepacks in kids
        > meals... and have two games printed up and the website to find more games
        > and nicer do-it-yourself sets.
        >
        > And I could stop remaking these things for all my kids' friends.
        >
        > Not that that isn't my idea of a grand time, mind you...
        >
        > Just...
        >
        > Maybe this could be cheaply mass produced and dumped into kids' meals. And I
        > wouldn't find myself covered in glue and inkjet toner so much.  Maybe.
        >
        > I could go buy 20 of them and be super happy.  Also... a fold-up box to keep
        > all the parts in would be great, too.
        >
        > Maybe they could do one suit at a time... and maybe come up with games for
        > one suit.
        >
        > "Collect 'em All" ... maybe that's Pokemon.  who knows.
        >

        > Emily Page
        >
        > ps - this is the part where I demand a pony, I think.
        >

        > -------->
        > follow me on twitter!  @emilypage
        > <-------

        Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org ... (206) 201-1768
        Mind Performance Hacks book: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101534/
      • Curufea
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
          I can't imagine the small parts going down so well with younger kids - except
          when accidentally added to meals.
          Plus the whole "non-commercial" aspect may be a bit of a spanner in the works
          for any company wishing to use the game for promotional purposes.

          Peter Cobcroft
          curufea@...
          Main: http://www.curufea.com/

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
            Oh, you should SEE the small parts that come with the Wendy's meals these
            days. They always have an "under 3" toy for the younger kids. Something
            big and chunky. The big kid toys are a free for all.

            But Wendy's wouldn't have to pay any royalties to use the piecepack. They
            can just sponsor it themselves. All win.

            Emily Page

            -------->

            On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Curufea <curufea@...> wrote:

            > I can't imagine the small parts going down so well with younger kids -
            > except
            > when accidentally added to meals.
            > Plus the whole "non-commercial" aspect may be a bit of a spanner in the
            > works
            > for any company wishing to use the game for promotional purposes.
            >
            > Peter Cobcroft
            > curufea@...
            > Main: http://www.curufea.com/
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Emily Page
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
              ..or possibly a company that wants to sponsor could use their logo as the
              "ace" on the piecepack.

              you should seriously have seen the mini-checkers games that came home once.
              teeny tiny plastic circles.

              Choking hazards galore.

              again, they have the "under 3" toys that parents of tots know to request.
              We learn through osmosis.

              Emily Page

              -------->

              On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Emily Page <emily.page@...> wrote:

              > Oh, you should SEE the small parts that come with the Wendy's meals these
              > days. They always have an "under 3" toy for the younger kids. Something
              > big and chunky. The big kid toys are a free for all.
              >
              > But Wendy's wouldn't have to pay any royalties to use the piecepack. They
              > can just sponsor it themselves. All win.
              >

              > Emily Page
              >

              > -------->
              > follow me on twitter! @emilypage
              > <-------
              >

              > On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Curufea <curufea@...> wrote:
              >

              >> I can't imagine the small parts going down so well with younger kids -
              >> except
              >> when accidentally added to meals.
              >> Plus the whole "non-commercial" aspect may be a bit of a spanner in the
              >> works
              >> for any company wishing to use the game for promotional purposes.
              >>
              >> Peter Cobcroft
              >> curufea@...
              >> Main: http://www.curufea.com/
              >>
              >> ________________________________

            • Ron Hale-Evans
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
                Exactly, Emily. The basic piecepack design is completely in the public
                domain. Anyone can do just about anything they want with it, including
                slapping a Wendy's logo on it, just as they could manufacture a deck
                of cards that had Wendy's logos on the jokers.

                As for when the ToyVault piecepack is due, it's been postponed a
                couple of times. IIRC, the latest due date is something like August
                2011, but I could be wrong.

                Ron

              • Ben Finney
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2011
                  Curufea <curufea@...> writes:

                  > Plus the whole "non-commercial" aspect may be a bit of a spanner in
                  > the works for any company wishing to use the game for promotional
                  > purposes.

                  What “non-commercial aspect” do you see as a barrier for making and
                  distributing Piecepack for promotional purposes?

                  Remember that the Piecepack “anatomy” is explicitly free for all
                  purposes; there are no restrictions on making and distributing a
                  Piecepack by the standard anatomy.

                  The piecepack is public domain; anyone may manufacture and
                  distribute (for profit) piecepacks without pay of royalty or
                  license.

                  <URL:http://www.piecepack.org/Anatomy.html>

                  Do you see a “non-commercial aspect” that makes Piecepack significantly
                  different from standard decks of cards for promotional purposes?

                  --
                  \ “You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he |
                  `\ was glad to get rid of it.” —Groucho Marx |