Material advice needed...

  • guardianfrob
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
      Long-time reader of this group, but this is my first post here. I
      swear I've got game design ideas, really. =) I just need some advice
      first on getting myself a set of pieces.

      I've finally decided I want to make a set for myself. The JCD designs
      are extremely attractive (and I, too, prefer anchors to fleur-de-lis),
      but the mention of "readily available wooden pieces" is frustrating me
      to no end. Which pieces, exactly? I've been to three different craft
      stores and none of them stock 2-inch wooden squares, which seem to be
      the key component of the set. Also, I picked up the wrong size wooden
      coins; they're 1 inch in diameter instead of 3/4, so they just barely
      fit inside the squares - will this be a problem? I hate feeling like
      my piecepack is a mutant, and the beautiful handmade sets over on
      boardgamegeek.com are making me realize how bad my own first attempt
      was. =)

      I'm also looking for alternate materials to make the tiles out of; I
      tried foamcore board (and made the tiles 2 1/2 inches square instead
      of 2, just so the coins would fit better on them) and it works
      decently, but the edges came out rough thanks to "knots" in the
      styrofoam. I'd really love to use some kind of thick
      German-game-quality cardboard (the sort that Carcasonne tiles are made
      of, for instance), but I have no idea where to find something like
      that - it'd make a killer Piecepack material, though. I'll be hitting
      Staples tomorrow to see if I can find transparent sticker paper, so
      I'll look for good-quality cardboard there as well... Does anyone have
      any other suggestions for readily-available and cheap but sturdy
      materials that will cut cleanly to make the tiles out of?
    • Bryan Kornele
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
        --- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "guardianfrob" <ben@...> wrote:

        > I've finally decided I want to make a set for myself. The JCD designs
        > are extremely attractive (and I, too, prefer anchors to fleur-de-
        lis),
        > but the mention of "readily available wooden pieces" is frustrating
        me
        > to no end. Which pieces, exactly? I've been to three different craft
        > stores and none of them stock 2-inch wooden squares, which seem to be
        > the key component of the set.

        When I started to make my peicepack I ran into the same problem. I
        then found this place online.
        http://www.craftparts.com
        for the 2"x2"x1/4" inch wooden squares -- part number CO-1425
        coins 3/4"x3/4"x1/8" circles -- part number JC-5712
        dice (if you want to make your own) 1/2" x 1/2" - part number SQ-0500
        pawns (these are not colored) 1-1/8" x 5/8" -- part number LP-5050

        If you want your pawns already colored --
        http://www.bennyswoodworks.com/gamepieces.html

        Bryan
      • Bryan Kornele
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
          Sorry one more thing. I do not know if this is the best way but I
          purchased some Avery "Full Sheet Labels - 8165" and printed the
          designs on these, cut them out, and pasted them on the wood.

          Bryan
        • Mark A. Biggar
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
            guardianfrob wrote:

            > Long-time reader of this group, but this is my first post here. I
            > swear I've got game design ideas, really. =) I just need some advice
            > first on getting myself a set of pieces.
            >
            > I've finally decided I want to make a set for myself. The JCD designs
            > are extremely attractive (and I, too, prefer anchors to fleur-de-lis),
            > but the mention of "readily available wooden pieces" is frustrating me
            > to no end. Which pieces, exactly? I've been to three different craft
            > stores and none of them stock 2-inch wooden squares, which seem to be
            > the key component of the set. Also, I picked up the wrong size wooden
            > coins; they're 1 inch in diameter instead of 3/4, so they just barely
            > fit inside the squares - will this be a problem? I hate feeling like
            > my piecepack is a mutant, and the beautiful handmade sets over on
            > boardgamegeek.com are making me realize how bad my own first attempt
            > was. =)
            >
            > I'm also looking for alternate materials to make the tiles out of; I
            > tried foamcore board (and made the tiles 2 1/2 inches square instead
            > of 2, just so the coins would fit better on them) and it works
            > decently, but the edges came out rough thanks to "knots" in the
            > styrofoam. I'd really love to use some kind of thick
            > German-game-quality cardboard (the sort that Carcasonne tiles are made
            > of, for instance), but I have no idea where to find something like
            > that - it'd make a killer Piecepack material, though. I'll be hitting
            > Staples tomorrow to see if I can find transparent sticker paper, so
            > I'll look for good-quality cardboard there as well... Does anyone have
            > any other suggestions for readily-available and cheap but sturdy
            > materials that will cut cleanly to make the tiles out of?

            Plastic works well. See the picture I've posted to the groups images
            folder (or look at the bottom of my page on the wiki).

            Mark Biggar

            --
            mark@...
            mark.a.biggar@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
              > Plastic works well. See the picture I've posted to the groups images
              > folder (or look at the bottom of my page on the wiki).

              That's a nice-looking set - how exactly did you make it?

              --Ben
            • mark.a.biggar@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                My wiki page:

                http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Mark_20A_2e_20Biggar

                has a complete description.

                --
                Mark Biggar
                mark@...

                From: "guardianfrob" <ben@...>
                > > Plastic works well. See the picture I've posted to the groups images
                > > folder (or look at the bottom of my page on the wiki).
                >
                > That's a nice-looking set - how exactly did you make it?
                >
                > --Ben

              • renfieldtherat
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 11, 2006
                  I got an entire set through Lara's Crafts
                  (http://www.larascrafts.com/) for about $20-25 including wooden
                  men/boys that I use as pawns.

                  I found most craft stores carry Lara's crafts in my area, but don't
                  have a full line (have circles, but not the right size). The website
                  has it all.

                  Renfield
                • Debnmrn@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 11, 2006
                    You can get way cheaper than this at:

                    http://www.woodwrks.com/

                    http://www.cardinalenterprises.com/

                    And they have better size selection in all their shapes!! :)

                    Happy Building

                    From: "renfieldtherat" <junkmale39@...>
                    > I got an entire set through Lara's Crafts
                    > (http://www.larascrafts.com/) for about $20-25 including wooden
                    > men/boys that I use as pawns.
                    >
                    > I found most craft stores carry Lara's crafts in my area, but don't
                    > have a full line (have circles, but not the right size). The website
                    > has it all.
                    >
                    > Renfield

                  • renfieldtherat
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 19, 2006
                      Thanks for the links! I also wasn't pleased that they (Lara's
                      Crafts) failed to send one item on my order. They didn't charge me
                      for it, they just somehow left it off. Had to go to a local store
                      to get the last items.

                      Thanks again!

                      Renfield

                      --- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, Debnmrn@... wrote:

                      > You can get way cheaper than this at:
                      >
                      > http://www.woodwrks.com/
                      >
                      > http://www.cardinalenterprises.com/
                      >
                      > And they have better size selection in all their shapes!! :)
                      >
                      > Happy Building

                      > From: "renfieldtherat" <junkmale39@...>
                      > > I got an entire set through Lara's Crafts
                      > > (http://www.larascrafts.com/) for about $20-25 including wooden
                      > > men/boys that I use as pawns.
                      > >
                      > > I found most craft stores carry Lara's crafts in my area, but
                      don't
                      > > have a full line (have circles, but not the right size). The
                      website
                      > > has it all.
                      > >
                      > > Renfield

                    • gtatters
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 24, 2006
                        -

                        -- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, mark.a.biggar@... wrote:

                        > My wiki page:
                        >
                        > http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Mark_20A_2e_20Biggar
                        >
                        > has a complete description.

                        Hi, I'm a newbie to the list. I've also been researching materials
                        for home-made piecepack sets.

                        First, here is a good geeklist with lots of info about DIY game
                        projects that could be helpful here.
                        http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11286

                        The good quality cardboard you are looking for is called chipboard. I
                        got a sheet of double-thickness (~3mm?...comparable thickness to what
                        you get with german-style ala Carc, Goa, etc.) for about $5.50 A
                        sheet is similar to large-sized posterboard so it is way more than
                        what you need for a single piecepack set. You can use the left over
                        for some other PNP games. :) Be aware that working with the chipboard
                        takes some work. It takes me about 10 passes with a razor blade to
                        cut all the way through. Plus, you need a special tool, called a
                        hollow hole punch (check ebay), and a mallet to get a round cut for
                        the discs. Precut wood is looking really inviting. I've been making
                        a "quick-n-dirty" copy with inkjet printed office paper, spray
                        adhesive, and chipboard while I've waited for my mesomorph copy to
                        arrive in the mail. Probably the most labor intensive process
                        possible! Mesomorph arrived yesterday.

                        I really like the wood and the way the pawns sound on the tiles. But
                        I think I'd also like something more stylistically congruous with
                        icehouse pieces. Mark's looks great. I also like the photo of the
                        alien city game at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/155202. I'm
                        curious to know if that set uses the same materials as Mark's.

                        Has anyone tried using acrylic paints on plexiglass (also acrylic)?
                        It would seem to allow a nice smooth finish but I know nothing about
                        how well the paint adheres to the tile.

                        If applying stickers, do folks prefer opaque or tranparent sheets for
                        the printing?

                        Thanks for any input!

                        -gt