Too many games?

  • drwest@umich.edu
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2004
      > >I've only just discovered piecepacks. Could somebody tell me which
      > >games are the most popular so I know where to start looking? There
      > >are too many for me to wade through them all!

      I'm a newbie myself, but in the two months I've been on this list I've seen this
      question go by several times. It echoes my own sense that, even with the
      recommended games page on the wiki, there's a need for 3 or 4 core "classic"
      games to serve as the basic, starting games for the piecepack.

      I would be interested, for example, in statistics on which games people actually
      end up playing on more than one occasion. Individual aesthetic judgements by
      contest judges and recommenders are helpful, but nothing reliably indicates the
      long-term viability of game as well as the repeated utterance of the phrase
      "Let's play X!"

      Along similar lines, I think it's a shame that the Mesomorph set no longer comes
      with a printed rule book. This seems to me to limit the audience for the
      piecepack to people who get the concept of a game system. I wonder if there's a
      market for a (more expensive?) set with rules for a few games, packaged to look
      like a mass market game. Surely games that had survived the repeated-play test
      within the piecepack community would be fit enough to stand a chance in the
      Darwinian world of the game marketplace.

      David Westbrook
    • Ben Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
        I think a simple rating system for piecepack games would be great. Similar to the one used on www.boardgamegeek.com.

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
            That's a good idea; another possibility would be to come up with a
            set of genres (tile-laying, race, solitaire, etc.) and choose one or
            two outstanding games in each genre to highlight. That way different
            people with different interests will get directed right where they
            want to go.

            Greg

          • Iain.407138@bloglines.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
              "I think a simple rating system for piecepack games would be great. Similar
              to the one used on www.boardgamegeek.com."

              There is one already:
              http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Ratings
            • mark.a.biggar@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                There's already the Taxononmy page on the wiki if your looking for a particular type of game.

                --
                Mark Biggar
                mark.a.biggar@...

                --- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, Ben Smith wrote:
                > I think a simple rating system for piecepack games would be great.
                Similar to the one used on www.boardgamegeek.com.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

              • Porter TwoThreeFive
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                  Here is one that I implemented for the wiki. People just need to start
                  using it. <http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Ratings> Here is the current
                  outcomes <http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Ratings/Summaries> which.

                  According to this list the top games would be

                  Chariots . . . . 5 matches
                  GalaxyExpress . . . . 5 matches
                  Sarcophagus . . . . 5 matches

                  This is not an averaged system but a total checkmarks given...

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                    --- Iain.407138@... wrote:

                    > "I think a simple rating system for piecepack games would be great.
                    > Similar
                    > to the one used on www.boardgamegeek.com."
                    >
                    > There is one already:
                    > http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Ratings

                    That's what i get for not reading all of the messages before replying..
                    :) thanks Iain.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Benedict
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
                      Hi

                      The printed rulebook for all games on the website would be
                      enormous, and unfortunately not very practical or cheap.

                      > > Along similar lines, I think it's a shame that the Mesomorph
                      set no longer comes
                      > > with a printed rule book. This seems to me to limit the
                      audience for the
                      > > piecepack to people who get the concept of a game system.
                      >
                      > Would it be a good idea, from both a game-player's and a
                      business
                      > person's perspectives, to include a printed rule pamphlet that
                      includes,
                      > say, ten of what is generally considered to be the
                      best-of-the-best
                      > games, then include the CD with everything else?

                      I think a set of rules of a few to several games would be good as
                      an introductory pamphlet to accompany the 'pack.

                      I think it would work best if the games selected were to a) be
                      enjoyable b) have short well-written rules c) make use of just
                      the piecepack (possibly allowing for minor components like a
                      cup, coins, piece of string).

                      I plan on taking a brief look at all the game on the CD to see
                      which fit the requirements of b) and c) as they are objective
                      categories. Once I have done this I will make a list of those
                      which I think also fit into a) - of course this is subjective.

                      Phillip
                    • carolzt83
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 15, 2004

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 15, 2004