Re: [piecepack] Definitions of Abstract

  • Ron Hale-Evans
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
      On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 02:41:51AM -0000, david_bruce_cousins wrote:
      > > This is somewhat true, IMHO. However, your game is not an abstract
      > > game in the technical sense, because it (1) is for one player, (2)
      > > contains chance elements, and (3) contains hidden information.
      > > Mathematically speaking, an abstract game is a game for two players
      > > with perfect information and no chance elements.
      >
      > Is that a definition from Game theory?

      Yes, combinatorial game theory. Here's a good article on what
      constitutes an abstract game:

      http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/DefiningtheAbstract.shtml

      Mark Thompson distinguishes between abstract games and abstract
      strategy games, but I have usually heard the two used interchangeably
      by knowledgeable people.

      I forgot to mention that another requirement for an abstract strategy
      game is that the two players take turns alternately, not
      simultaneously (as players do in Diplomacy).

      Ron H-E

      --
      Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
      Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,