Fiddlehead Ferns

  • stkittsbiz
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
      Hi all,

      Has anyone grown Fiddlehead Ferns here in W. WA? Are they noxious or ok? I'm thinking of putting some in, but want to be sure they will grow and do not violate garden rules.

      Thanks a bunch!
      ~Lori St Kitts
    • stkittsbiz

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
          Sorry about the double post - I don't know how that happened. I just found this article on the Internet about growing them. Seems like this is a good place. I still want to be sure about the rules though.

          Growing Fiddlehead Ferns: http://www.gardenguides.com/74857-growing-fiddlehead-ferns.html

          Thanks!

          --- In picardo@yahoogroups.com, "stkittsbiz" <lori@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Has anyone grown Fiddlehead Ferns here in W. WA? Are they noxious or ok? I'm thinking of putting some in, but want to be sure they will grow and do not violate garden rules.
          >
          > Thanks a bunch!
          > ~Lori St Kitts

        • Daniel Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
            Lori,

            Let me know how that goes, I have some seeds from Seeds of Change that
            I would like to use.

            Daniel

            On Apr 11, 2010, at 8:42 PM, stkittsbiz wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > Has anyone grown Fiddlehead Ferns here in W. WA? Are they noxious or
            > ok? I'm thinking of putting some in, but want to be sure they will
            > grow and do not violate garden rules.
            >
            > Thanks a bunch!
            > ~Lori St Kitts
          • Laura Matter
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
              Lori,

              Well it depends on what fern you are hoping to grow as to whether or
              not it would be a good one for the garden. There are many different
              ferns which can be gathered in the fiddlehead stage and eaten.
              Bracken Fern for instance is one that folks gather but this is a
              terrible choice for a P-Patch because it spreads by underground stem
              and can become pretty invasive in a garden setting. It is also
              probably the least palatable of them. Also FYI most ferns need shade
              to be happy and healthy so you would need to create that environment
              in your plot. I would think that to get enough to make a "crop" you
              would need to dedicate a fair amount of space to the plants. They need
              to get of size before you have enough young fronds to gather from the
              plants without depleting them.

              Laura Matter
            • stkittsbiz
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 17, 2010
                Thanks Laura. Yes, the more I read about them, the more I realized that they are a shade-loving plant that probably would not do well in our open garden. Thanks for the heads-up in regard to the different types of them. I certainly do not want to introduce anything that will make gardening more difficult for us all! :)

                --- In picardo@yahoogroups.com, Laura Matter <lmatter@...> wrote:

                > Lori,
                >
                > Well it depends on what fern you are hoping to grow as to whether or
                > not it would be a good one for the garden. There are many different
                > ferns which can be gathered in the fiddlehead stage and eaten.
                > Bracken Fern for instance is one that folks gather but this is a
                > terrible choice for a P-Patch because it spreads by underground stem
                > and can become pretty invasive in a garden setting. It is also
                > probably the least palatable of them. Also FYI most ferns need shade
                > to be happy and healthy so you would need to create that environment
                > in your plot. I would think that to get enough to make a "crop" you
                > would need to dedicate a fair amount of space to the plants. They need
                > to get of size before you have enough young fronds to gather from the
                > plants without depleting them.
                >
                > Laura Matter

              • Michelle B. Benetua
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 20, 2010

                  Hi all,

                  If you haven't seen this yet, it looks like KUOW is taking the pulse on a proposed new term limit idea for P-Patchers.  See below and feel free to comment.

                  Michelle