543Picardo Farm April Work Party and Hugelkultur Workshop

  • lmatterhorn
    Apr 11, 2014
    • 1 Attachment
    • 181 KB

    Greetings Gardeners!

    Heads up for the first monthly work party of the season coming up next Monday evening, April 14th, from 6:30 pm to dusk, approximately 8:00 pm. Get some time in early in the season!

    Tasks for the Evening:

    • Sort debris piles to find re-useable materials and wood products suitable for Hugelkultur Workshop
    • Remove debris from new gardeners and unassigned plots (to ready for gardening and assignment)
    • Load debris onto trucks; both garbage and yard waste
    • Haul mural debris to U Prep dumpster
    • Chip paths
    • Build wall in Herb Garden
    • Weed and divide herbs as needed
    • Turn compost

    Details...

    • Meet in the Pavilion next to the Barn to get an assignment.
    • Joan Williamson will be leading the disposal of the mural pieces.
    • Stu Prado will be leading work in the Herb Garden on the walls. Laura Matter will be there to confer about the plantings.
    • John Olson will be on site to confer with on the piles of debris.
    • Colin McFeron will be present to coordinate the loading of garbage debris on his truck
    • If there is not enough yard waste for a truck load we will fill yard waste bags and ask work party attendees to take it home for pick up. Please help us with this if needed.
    • We will sort through the debris to remove true garbage and save wood suitable for buliding Hugelkultur beds
    • We will follow the work party with a Hugelkultur Workshop on Saturday, April 26th led by Lacia Lynne Bailey. Time to be decided. This follows our Waste Not theme for the year where we can reuse things that otherwise we would consider junk. Stay tuned for more details.

    Issues:

    • Path chipping will be done in areas where people have dumped soil onto fresh chips in the paths while preparing their garden. PLEASE keep all soil in plot boundaries and do not let it get into the paths. We have gone to great lengths to improve our path system and the wood chips work as an effective mulch. They will not if they get full of soil.
    • We found an abandoned wheelbarrow full of noxious weeds sitting by the south compost bins recently. All noxious weeds should be either offered to Lacia for her goats (if clean of soil), put into black plastic bags to decompose in your plot and then dug into your garden OR taken home for yard waste pick up. DO NOT put them into the compost piles or leave them anywhere in piles in the garden. Be responsible for your own debris.
    • We also discovered raspberry canes in the compost bins. Same applies here: NO RASPBERRY CANES in the compost please. Contact Lacia to offer them to her goats as your first choice because raspberry plants are really good for them. Otherwise same as above, black plastic bags or yard waste method of disposal.

    Let's tidy up the garden for the season.    Hope to see you there!

    Laura Matter