Re: [pias-antler] sound recorders

  • Jan Sundström
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
      At 20:54 2001-08-30 +0000, you wrote:
      >hello all,
      >
      >can anyone recommend me a sound recorder? (preferably freeware) i
      >wanna put tapes into mp3,,,

      I have an old crakced Cool Edit Pro (-96) that still is considered among
      the best.
      I might get Soundforge 4.5 which is supposed to be better.
      Some swear by Goldwave, I don't know if there is _one_ program that is
      considered "state of the art" for converting tapes to MP#. We had a similar
      discussion of transfering vinyl to MP3 earlier.
      Jesper, what program are you using?

      > i had polderbits,,,

      Never heard abt this one.

      Jan

    • Jan Sundström
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
        Look at this:
        http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?By=City&Content=Moscow,+RUS&Key=Y

        Moscow is the place where everything happens, it seems!?
        The Residents, Coil and Depeche Mode - all within one week!

        Anyone going to see Stereolab this month!?
        Highly recommended!!!

        They're playing Stockholm tomorrow, but I don't think i can make it. :(

        Jan

      • jimmy christiaens
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
          hey,

          i always use adaptec easy cd creator deluxe to put LPs and cassettes into mp3. it's not ideal, but it works pretty easy...

          cheerz,

          jimmy
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
            > >can anyone recommend me a sound recorder? (preferably freeware) i
            > >wanna put tapes into mp3,,,
            >
            >I have an old crakced Cool Edit Pro (-96) that still is considered among
            >the best.

            mmm, i'll check it out

            >I might get Soundforge 4.5 which is supposed to be better.

            same thing :)

            >Some swear by Goldwave, I don't know if there is _one_ program that is
            >considered "state of the art" for converting tapes to MP#. We had a similar

            well, i tried goldwave and i can't work with it,,,
            > > i had polderbits,,,
            >
            >Never heard abt this one.

            pretty good, very simple, very clear,,,, just what you want from a program
            (unless the paying part :P)

            Mark/RayMan

          • Jesper
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
              > >can anyone recommend me a sound recorder? (preferably freeware) i
              > >wanna put tapes into mp3,,,
              ---
              > Jesper, what program are you using?

              Hm, I use my multitrack (stand alone) recorder so I never involve this unreliable piece of crap called PC! Korg D16 for those interested... ;)

              electronically yours, jesper
            • Jan Sundström
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
                At 15:16 2001-09-01 +0200, you wrote:
                > > >can anyone recommend me a sound recorder? (preferably freeware) i
                > > >wanna put tapes into mp3,,,
                >---
                > > Jesper, what program are you using?
                >
                >Hm, I use my multitrack (stand alone) recorder so I never involve this
                >unreliable piece of crap called PC! Korg D16

                How much does it cost? I might invest in one some day... Is it good for
                anything else?

                Jan

              • Jesper
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2001
                  > >---
                  > > > Jesper, what program are you using?
                  > >
                  > >Hm, I use my multitrack (stand alone) recorder so I never involve this
                  > >unreliable piece of crap called PC! Korg D16
                  >
                  > How much does it cost? I might invest in one some day... Is it good for
                  > anything else?

                  Well, it's splendid to record Machinepop singles on! =) It's quite an expensive sucker if you only use it to transfer vinyl and cassettes since it has 16 channels (+ a bunch of virtual). But I bought mine mainly for my bands and as a bonus for transferring vinyl goodies... I payed 18000 SEK (1800 USD) but I think it has dropped to 15000 now. Since then I've added a CD-burner and bought a much bigger hard disc.

                  Did you know that Rational Youth's come back album was recorded on a Roland 1680? Same thing with the big difference that the Roland is more expensive but uses compression (yerk!) and lacks a lot of the flexibility of the D16... ;)

                  There are smaller sucker though - like the D8 for example...