Re: [pias-antler] Covenant, Theremin and Man...Or Astroman?

  • the blue one
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2001

      > > Covenant "theremin"
      >
      > Mmmmh, I don't know about Covenant, but I'm mad over the Theremin, a
      musical
      > device based on magnetic fields, and which produces sound by approaching
      > hand of the magnetic field.
      > 'Famous' artists using the Theremin: Man or Astroman, Add N to X, and also
      > the Beach Boys in their massive hit... I dont remember the title, sorry.
      > (Nothing very Pias-Antler in here, sorry)

      ++++ Good Vibrations

      > Now I'm curious...
      > Does the Covenant song 'Theremin' include theremin sounds? Does Covenant
      > regularly use Theremins?

      ++++There's a Theremin website : www.thereminworld.com

      and if you click on" bands with Theremins" you find a list of 200 bands
      including Blur (Hey Kirstin), Coalchamber and even Download, that make use
      of the Theremin, but unfortunatly no Covenant

      There's the possibility of sending in more bands that use the Theremin, so
      if we can find out about Covenant really using the Theremin, we can ad 'em
      to the list.

      Isn't Jesper big with those guys?

      And Till, I'm a huge MOAM? fan, seen 'em four times (organising one of
      their gigs myself), right now I'm wearing a MOAM? -T-Shirt. I've also seen
      Servotron (their electrospin off) sounds like a surfing Kraftwerk, very
      weird.

      NP - Destination Venus by Rezillos (original)
    • till@f-m-computer.de
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2001
        Von: the blue one <ziggysmurfdust@...>

        >And Till, I'm a huge MOAM? fan, seen 'em four times (organising one
        >of their gigs myself), right now I'm wearing a MOAM? -T-Shirt. I've
        >also seen Servotron (their electrospin off) sounds like a surfing
        >Kraftwerk, very weird.

        yesssssssss, i just wore my servotron shirt a few days ago! they
        rock. "wait. stop. do not enter. people mover."
        seen MOAM? 4 times as well and servotron twice. i love them. love the
        movie samples, love the aestethic (jump suits, super computers, tesla
        coils and 8mm projections on stage), love the surf guitar sound, love
        the electronics on the last two albums (most people complained), love
        them for covering the Mystery Science Theater 3000 theme song, loved
        receiving a payphonecall from them and doing an interview with them
        while they were at a truck stop in colorado explaining in detail to
        me that they invented the internet and will take over the world by
        incessant touring and do not associate with gimmicky bands like
        Servotron, etc.
        so, why and how did you organize their show?
        i am not worthy!

        T.
        (still in awe)
      • Nounet
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2001
          Hi, alternative musical devices fans!

          > > 'Famous' artists using the Theremin: Man or Astroman, Add N to X, and
          also
          > > the Beach Boys in their massive hit... I dont remember the title,
          sorry.
          > > (Nothing very Pias-Antler in here, sorry)
          >
          > ++++ Good Vibrations
          That's it! I think this was not a tough one, though :-)

          > > Now I'm curious...
          > > Does the Covenant song 'Theremin' include theremin sounds? Does
          Covenant
          > > regularly use Theremins?

          > ++++There's a Theremin website : www.thereminworld.com

          Wow, my dream come true! Thanks for the great link!

          > and if you click on" bands with Theremins" you find a list of 200 bands
          > including Blur (Hey Kirstin), Coalchamber and even Download, that make use
          > of the Theremin, but unfortunatly no Covenant

          > There's the possibility of sending in more bands that use the Theremin, so
          > if we can find out about Covenant really using the Theremin, we can ad 'em
          > to the list.
          >
          > Isn't Jesper big with those guys?
          >

          > And Till, I'm a huge MOAM? fan, seen 'em four times (organising one of
          > their gigs myself), right now I'm wearing a MOAM? -T-Shirt. I've also seen
          > Servotron (their electrospin off) sounds like a surfing Kraftwerk, very
          > weird.

          Seen MOAM? twice, grrrrreat entertainment, fully packed with band members
          running into the public with TV helmets on fire, huge lightning bolts from
          an homemade Tesla Coil, (did they receive the clearance to do this?:-) ) and
          of course unusual music heavily dependant on surf and electronic devices. A
          must see!
          I own a servotron CD, but never get the chance to see them.

          NP: Virago - Premier Jour

          Nounet
        • Nounet
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2001
            > receiving a payphonecall from them and doing an interview with them
            > while they were at a truck stop in colorado explaining in detail to
            > me that they invented the internet

            They lie: it's Al Gore!

            Nounet
          • the blue one
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2001
              I used to work at a club as a promoter, I didn't do it for long, but i had
              the chance to organise a gig by MOAM?
              They had played the club once already and did it again after I left.
              Servotron played the same club too, but weren't as succesfull, only 50
              people showed up (about tha same amount as the Klinik or Dive gig in that
              club many years before)

              tbo

              > >And Till, I'm a huge MOAM? fan, seen 'em four times (organising one
              > >of their gigs myself), right now I'm wearing a MOAM? -T-Shirt. I've
              > >also seen Servotron (their electrospin off) sounds like a surfing
              > >Kraftwerk, very weird.
              >
              > yesssssssss, i just wore my servotron shirt a few days ago! they
              > rock. "wait. stop. do not enter. people mover."
              > seen MOAM? 4 times as well and servotron twice. i love them. love the
              > movie samples, love the aestethic (jump suits, super computers, tesla
              > coils and 8mm projections on stage), love the surf guitar sound, love
              > the electronics on the last two albums (most people complained), love
              > them for covering the Mystery Science Theater 3000 theme song, loved
              > receiving a payphonecall from them and doing an interview with them
              > while they were at a truck stop in colorado explaining in detail to
              > me that they invented the internet and will take over the world by
              > incessant touring and do not associate with gimmicky bands like
              > Servotron, etc.
              > so, why and how did you organize their show?
              > i am not worthy!
              >
              > T.
              > (still in awe)
              >

              > TO UNSUBSCRIBE

            • Jesper
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2001
                > > > 'Famous' artists using the Theremin:
                > > > the Beach Boys in their massive hit...
                > > ++++ Good Vibrations

                Tried to write this before but my webmail screwed it up a lot!!! Now I'm back with a new address...

                WRONG!!!
                It's a modern myth that "GV" was played on a Theremin. It used a Moog modular with a ribbon controller on which the tones were marked to make playing easier. Playing that on a Theremin demands a lot since the T isn't linear in it's design, it's exponential. I.e. The closer you move your hand to the antenna the higher the pitch, but not a single note every few centimeters, but the notes comes closer and closer the closer you get to the pitch antenna!

                electronically yours, jesper
              • Jesper
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2001
                  > I got it from the Theremin site itself, they used the Theremin for the
                  > recordings, but not for the concerts, because they couldn't play it .

                  AFAIK that's humbug. My info is from a bunch of synthesizer books.It doesn't matter really, but I can imagine a ribbon controller to be a lot easier...

                  jesper
                • the blue one
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 4, 2001

                  • till@f-m-computer.de
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 6, 2001
                      Von: Nounet <nounet@...>

                      > receiving a payphonecall from them and doing an interview with them
                      > while they were at a truck stop in colorado explaining in detail to
                      > me that they invented the internet

                      >They lie: it's Al Gore!

                      no, he stole it from them! ask them. and who are you to contest their
                      honesty. MOAM are all about truth.
                      T.
                    • Jan Sundstrom
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 18, 2001
                        At 21:28 2001-08-06 +0000, you wrote:
                        >no, he stole it from them! ask them. and who are you to contest their
                        >honesty. MOAM are all about truth.

                        Hey wienerschnitzels,

                        I just ripped down a tour poster of MOAM, apparently they're coming to
                        town. (European tour)
                        Should i go and see them?
                        I saw all the positive postings, but what shall i expect?

                        Jan
                      • till@f-m-computer.de
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 18, 2001
                          Von: Jan Sundstrom <jan@...>

                          >Hey wienerschnitzels,
                          >
                          >I just ripped down a tour poster of MOAM, apparently they're coming
                          >town. (European tour)

                          i am going to see them tomorrow in Berlin. yippeah!!!!!

                          >Should i go and see them?

                          absolutely.

                          >I saw all the positive postings, but what shall i expect?

                          60s surf rock with electronic interludes, a way funny show and 4 guys
                          in space suits with sci-fi film footage and probably lots of self-
                          built gadgets.

                          its not industrial or EBM but its good and fun.

                          Till
                        • the blue one
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 18, 2001
                            It's more like new wave surfpunk, today's Devo
                            apart from a lot of own stuff with 40's,50's and 60's SF moviesamples they
                            do coverversions from oa Destination Venus (Rezillos, pre Human League Jo
                            Callis's band), My Favorite Martian and Man From Uranus.

                            anybody knows their tourschedule?

                            tbo

                          • till@f-m-computer.de
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 18, 2001
                              Von: the blue one <ziggysmurfdust@...>

                              >It's more like new wave surfpunk, today's Devo
                              >apart from a lot of own stuff with 40's,50's and 60's SF
                              moviesamples they
                              >do coverversions from oa Destination Venus (Rezillos, pre Human
                              League Jo
                              >Callis's band), My Favorite Martian and Man From Uranus.

                              and lets not forget Mystery Science Theater 3000.

                              >anybody knows their tourschedule?

                              www.epitaph.com

                              Till
                            • the blue one
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 18, 2001
                                hey Till,

                                you know anything about this: "They have also done countless bits
                                of film and soundtrack work specifically for
                                Nickelodeon and the cartoon
                                network, most notably for the world renown
                                cartoon to human talkshow,
                                Space Ghost Coast to Coast. "
                                found it in the MOAM bio on the Epitaph site

                                also check out:

                                www.astroman.com

                                MOAM's official site

                                No Belgium or even Holland shows, damit!! :(

                                tbo

                                > >It's more like new wave surfpunk, today's Devo
                                > >apart from a lot of own stuff with 40's,50's and 60's SF
                                > moviesamples they
                                > >do coverversions from oa Destination Venus (Rezillos, pre Human
                                > League Jo
                                > >Callis's band), My Favorite Martian and Man From Uranus.
                                >
                                > and lets not forget Mystery Science Theater 3000.
                                >
                                > >anybody knows their tourschedule?
                                >
                                > www.epitaph.com
                                >
                                > Till
                                >

                                > TO UNSUBSCRIBE

                              • Nounet
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 18, 2001
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 18, 2001
                                    Von: the blue one <ziggysmurfdust@...>

                                    >hey Till,
                                    >
                                    >you know anything about this: "They have also done countless bits
                                    >of film and soundtrack work specifically for Nickelodeon and the
                                    cartoon
                                    >network, most notably for the world renown cartoon to human talkshow,
                                    >Space Ghost Coast to Coast. "
                                    >found it in the MOAM bio on the Epitaph site.

                                    there is not much more to know. seen the show and heard the songs.
                                    just little bits and pieces in other cartoons apparently and for
                                    jingles. dont think it was released anywhere.

                                    Till