Funkmeister - nazi uniform sleeve

  • jesper
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 14, 2012
      Hi list,

      I'm updating my collection at discogs and I'm almost done with F now...
      But I stumbled on a 12" with Funkmeister with a politically incorrect
      sleeve featuring a topless girl in nazi swag. The same girl as this one:
      http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=462455 but with swastika on
      both hat and armband.
      Since I know there are many vinyl nerds here and since I cannot find
      much info on discogs regarding this one I wonder if anyone else has a
      copy and could shed some light.

      Labels only show A and B (white on black) and the runout grooves T2 and
      M2. The back of the sleeve shows the titles (black on white) and at the
      bottom:

      "crocodisc musikproduktion altena" and "musterplatte - 300, nicht zum
      verkauf bestimmt*

      I get the german, but am still curious about the rest. Small number
      limited run? Inside joke? Bootleg? I guess I need to list it now...

      - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
      www.electronic-obsession.se
    • jesper
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 14, 2012
        Here it is:
        http://www.discogs.com/submissions#item=release/3801427

        - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -

        jesper skrev 2012-08-14 18:06:
        > Hi list,
        >
        > I'm updating my collection at discogs and I'm almost done with F now...
        > But I stumbled on a 12" with Funkmeister with a politically incorrect
        > sleeve featuring a topless girl in nazi swag. The same girl as this one:
        > http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=462455 but with swastika on
        > both hat and armband.
        > Since I know there are many vinyl nerds here and since I cannot find
        > much info on discogs regarding this one I wonder if anyone else has a
        > copy and could shed some light.
        >
        > Labels only show A and B (white on black) and the runout grooves T2 and
        > M2. The back of the sleeve shows the titles (black on white) and at the
        > bottom:
        >
        > "crocodisc musikproduktion altena" and "musterplatte - 300, nicht zum
        > verkauf bestimmt*
        >
        > I get the german, but am still curious about the rest. Small number
        > limited run? Inside joke? Bootleg? I guess I need to list it now...
        >
        > --
        > electronically yours, jesper
        >
        > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
        > www.electronic-obsession.se
      • Jürgen Vanvlasselaer
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 15, 2012
          can't help you there J...sorry...

          cool sleeve though:-)

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 15, 2012
            Jürgen Vanvlasselaer skrev 2012-08-15 13:27:
            > can't help you there J...sorry...

            Any theories? I find it interesting that such a sleeve hit the german
            market in 1984. I thought there were laws (or even _are_ laws) against
            such political symbols used like that. Or is it just the yankees that
            are paranoid like that? ;)

            - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
            www.electronic-obsession.se
          • Smurf
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 15, 2012
              if it's on Ryker it should be UK instead of Europe ;o)

              the German text is probably only to confuse and in analogy with the pic :o)

              Op 14/08/2012 18:55, jesper schreef:

              > Here it is:
              > http://www.discogs.com/submissions#item=release/3801427
              >
              > --
              > electronically yours, jesper
              >
              > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
              > www.electronic-obsession.se
              >
              > jesper skrev 2012-08-14 18:06:
              > > Hi list,
              > >
              > > I'm updating my collection at discogs and I'm almost done with F now...
              > > But I stumbled on a 12" with Funkmeister with a politically incorrect
              > > sleeve featuring a topless girl in nazi swag. The same girl as this one:
              > > http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=462455 but with swastika on
              > > both hat and armband.
              > > Since I know there are many vinyl nerds here and since I cannot find
              > > much info on discogs regarding this one I wonder if anyone else has a
              > > copy and could shed some light.
              > >
              > > Labels only show A and B (white on black) and the runout grooves T2 and
              > > M2. The back of the sleeve shows the titles (black on white) and at the
              > > bottom:
              > >
              > > "crocodisc musikproduktion altena" and "musterplatte - 300, nicht zum
              > > verkauf bestimmt*
              > >
              > > I get the german, but am still curious about the rest. Small number
              > > limited run? Inside joke? Bootleg? I guess I need to list it now...
              > >
              > > --
              > > electronically yours, jesper
              > >
              > > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
              > > www.electronic-obsession.se

              --
              http://www.wool-e-shop.be

              Openinghours
              Monday 14.00 - 19.00
              Tuesday To Friday 11.00 - 19.00
              Saturday 12.00 - 18.00
              Closed On Sunday

              The Wool-E Shop
              Emiel Lossystraat 17
              9040 Gent
              Belgium
              Tel: +32 (0) 9 229 36 67 - +32 (0) 476 818 764
              VAT BE 0642.425.654

              IBAN BE58 3630 5057 9779
              BIC/SWIFT BBRUBEBB

            • ea242
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 15, 2012
                German law indeed prohibits the use of swastikas and other symbols
                associated with the NAZI party and the third reich. You can use them
                nonetheless in an artistic contex, like uniforms in a movie for example.
                But even in such a contex in germany swastikas get droped from the cover
                very often just to be sure or not to tip on someones toes (I got a few
                DVD/BD covers from the UK and the US that include sawtikas while the
                german version doesn´t - Tarantino´s Inglourious Basterds or Dead
                Snow...). I guess it´s another question if that Funkmeister cover design
                would be judged that way (art) by german authorities. Oh, and I don´t
                think the US folks are paranoid in regards to the use of such symbolics.
                Personaly I have the impression they take it rather lightly compared to
                us in europe ;)

                Can´t help you with any informartion on the cover itself unfortunatelly.

                All the best
                Eric

                Am 15.08.2012 13:49, schrieb jesper:

                > Jürgen Vanvlasselaer skrev 2012-08-15 13:27:
                > > can't help you there J...sorry...
                >
                > Any theories? I find it interesting that such a sleeve hit the german
                > market in 1984. I thought there were laws (or even _are_ laws) against
                > such political symbols used like that. Or is it just the yankees that
                > are paranoid like that? ;)
                >
                > --
                > electronically yours, jesper
                >
                > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
                > www.electronic-obsession.se

              • Renato Zanotto de Paschoal
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 15, 2012
                  I guess this expresses how much americans care about the swastika
                  http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=309197

                  On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM, ea242 <Ea242@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > German law indeed prohibits the use of swastikas and other symbols
                  > associated with the NAZI party and the third reich. You can use them
                  > nonetheless in an artistic contex, like uniforms in a movie for example.
                  > But even in such a contex in germany swastikas get droped from the cover
                  > very often just to be sure or not to tip on someones toes (I got a few
                  > DVD/BD covers from the UK and the US that include sawtikas while the
                  > german version doesn�t - Tarantino�s Inglourious Basterds or Dead
                  > Snow...). I guess it�s another question if that Funkmeister cover design
                  > would be judged that way (art) by german authorities. Oh, and I don�t
                  > think the US folks are paranoid in regards to the use of such symbolics.
                  > Personaly I have the impression they take it rather lightly compared to
                  > us in europe ;)
                  >
                  > Can�t help you with any informartion on the cover itself unfortunatelly.
                  >
                  > All the best
                  > Eric
                  >
                  > Am 15.08.2012 13:49, schrieb jesper:
                  >

                  > > J�rgen Vanvlasselaer skrev 2012-08-15 13:27:
                  > > > can't help you there J...sorry...
                  > >
                  > > Any theories? I find it interesting that such a sleeve hit the german
                  > > market in 1984. I thought there were laws (or even _are_ laws) against
                  > > such political symbols used like that. Or is it just the yankees that
                  > > are paranoid like that? ;)
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > electronically yours, jesper
                  > >
                  > > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
                  > > www.electronic-obsession.se

                • nfpgasmask
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 15, 2012
                    Yeah, over here in the USA the swastika and other 3rd Reich related symbols are not a big deal when presented on book covers, DVD covers, music etc. That's not to say however that it completely depends on the context. For example, if one were to walk down the street with a giant swastika shirt ala Sid Vicious, it WOULD NOT go over well with the general public, lol. But if you were sitting in a coffee shop reading a book about WWII history and the book had a swastika on the cover, most likely it would be a non-event.

                    Back in the day when there were a lot more skin heads hanging around in the scene, I knew some pretty hard core guys that pushed the limits of what they could "safely" get away with, meaning, without getting into a brawl over it!

                    The swastika seems to be the only symbol that makes people uneasy if you wear it here. The totenkopf is generally not a big deal. I used to have a Death In June shirt with totenkopf that I wore a lot and no one ever said anything to me about it. But I think that generally has to do with the fact that most Americans are either too ignorant, too oblivious or a combination of both to even notice!!

                    ;) Bart

                    --- In pias-antler@yahoogroups.com, ea242 <Ea242@...> wrote:

                    > German law indeed prohibits the use of swastikas and other symbols
                    > associated with the NAZI party and the third reich. You can use them
                    > nonetheless in an artistic contex, like uniforms in a movie for example.
                    > But even in such a contex in germany swastikas get droped from the cover
                    > very often just to be sure or not to tip on someones toes (I got a few
                    > DVD/BD covers from the UK and the US that include sawtikas while the
                    > german version doesn´t - Tarantino´s Inglourious Basterds or Dead
                    > Snow...). I guess it´s another question if that Funkmeister cover design
                    > would be judged that way (art) by german authorities. Oh, and I don´t
                    > think the US folks are paranoid in regards to the use of such symbolics.
                    > Personaly I have the impression they take it rather lightly compared to
                    > us in europe ;)
                    >
                    > Can´t help you with any informartion on the cover itself unfortunatelly.
                    >
                    > All the best
                    > Eric
                    >

                    > Am 15.08.2012 13:49, schrieb jesper:
                    > >
                    > > Jürgen Vanvlasselaer skrev 2012-08-15 13:27:
                    > > > can't help you there J...sorry...
                    > >
                    > > Any theories? I find it interesting that such a sleeve hit the german
                    > > market in 1984. I thought there were laws (or even _are_ laws) against
                    > > such political symbols used like that. Or is it just the yankees that
                    > > are paranoid like that? ;)
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > electronically yours, jesper
                    > >
                    > > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
                    > > www.electronic-obsession.se

                  • mike
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 15, 2012
                      No info to offer Mr J... as a very unique piece you appear to have their... too bad Discogs doesn't have any provision (yet) for auctioning items such as this... as sure it would fetch a
                      surprizing result!

                      Mr M.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 16, 2012
                        I am not quite sure, but I think it has some link with ebay or some built
                        in auctioning resource.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 16, 2012
                          Oh really... i've had Discogs traders offering us their items via urls/links
                          to their ebay auction listing/s... but didn't look linked to Discogs, just
                          someone who had both an ebay & discogs account...

                          >I am not quite sure, but I think it has some link with ebay or some built
                          > in auctioning resource.
                          >
                          > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM, mike <teknoficks@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> **
                          >>

                          >> No info to offer Mr J... as a very unique piece you appear to have
                          >> their... too bad Discogs doesn't have any provision (yet) for auctioning
                          >> items such as this... as sure it would fetch a
                          >> surprizing result!
                          >>
                          >> Mr M.
                          >>

                          >> Here it is:
                          >> http://www.discogs.com/submissions#item=release/3801427
                          >>
                          >> --
                          >> electronically yours, jesper
                          >>
                          >> - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
                          >> www.electronic-obsession.se
                          >>
                          >> jesper skrev 2012-08-14 18:06:
                          >> > Hi list,
                          >> >
                          >> > I'm updating my collection at discogs and I'm almost done with F now...
                          >> > But I stumbled on a 12" with Funkmeister with a politically incorrect
                          >> > sleeve featuring a topless girl in nazi swag. The same girl as this
                          >> > one:
                          >> > http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=462455 but with swastika on
                          >> > both hat and armband.
                          >> > Since I know there are many vinyl nerds here and since I cannot find
                          >> > much info on discogs regarding this one I wonder if anyone else has a
                          >> > copy and could shed some light.
                          >> >
                          >> > Labels only show A and B (white on black) and the runout grooves T2 and
                          >> > M2. The back of the sleeve shows the titles (black on white) and at the
                          >> > bottom:
                          >> >
                          >> > "crocodisc musikproduktion altena" and "musterplatte - 300, nicht zum
                          >> > verkauf bestimmt*
                          >> >
                          >> > I get the german, but am still curious about the rest. Small number
                          >> > limited run? Inside joke? Bootleg? I guess I need to list it now...
                          >> >
                          >> > --
                          >> > electronically yours, jesper
                          >> >
                          >> > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
                          >> > www.electronic-obsession.se

                          > Groups Links

                        • jesper
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 17, 2012
                            Thanks for all the input guys... it sure is a strange bird this one.
                            My guess is that this is a small run, maybe not even official, made by
                            someone at the pressing plant since they had access to original photo
                            and pressing positives/mothers.
                            I guessed the label from the matrix runout figures. I'm looking forward
                            to see if someone else marks themselves as owners of this one.

                            As I recall it, it came to me in one of a few carts of assorted
                            weirdness I bought from a friend a few years ago... A lot of good stuff
                            there along with mixed crap too.