Old techno stuff

  • Norm Tallant
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2009
      Do anyone here know what the story is as to why Talla did Techno Drome to
      New Zone to Zoth Ommog? Because it looks like all three labels, to some
      extent, overlapped in the same basic period of time (89-91).

      Is it that he meant Zoth to specifically be industrial whereas Techno Drome
      was just everything?

      All the best,
      -norm
    • jesper
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2009
        Norm Tallant skrev:

        > Do anyone here know what the story is as to why Talla did Techno Drome to
        > New Zone to Zoth Ommog? Because it looks like all three labels, to some
        > extent, overlapped in the same basic period of time (89-91).
        >
        > Is it that he meant Zoth to specifically be industrial whereas Techno Drome
        > was just everything?

        Yes, isn't that the answer? It's quite common with different labels for
        different genres. ZO is the EBM/industrial stuff, New Zone more
        electro/beat-oriented and techno drome simply more techno.

        Not that I have that many records from these labels since I prefer Talla
        as a musician in the late 80's to his crappy taste as label manager. *hehe*

        :D

        - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
        www.electronic-obsession.se
        www.myspace.com/machinepop
      • MaNi
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2009
          Now I don't quite remember but wasn't Techno Drome part of ZYX and then
          Talla started Zoth Ommog and kept a few acts like f ex X Marks The
          Pedwalk who was Scarecrow on Technodrome and Bigod 20. So Technodrome
          was never part of the whole Zoth Ommog thing but like I wrote a ZYX
          sub-label (maybe ZYX had nothing to do with it and I'm just
          fantasising)? And where does Westside fit in to all of this? But it
          seems clear that New Zone was meant as a more dance/techno-oriented
          thing, like Antlers Subway thing when New Beat was the new thing, and
          Zoth Ommog well.. more industrial/EBM /whatever... I think, maybe. Oh
          well... someone is bound to know I guess.

          And Jesper, do you honestly mean that Bigod 20 were that much better
          than the ZO bands, really? I mean The Bog sure but America, Body To
          Body, Energize (not that they're bad but are they that much better?),
          the crappy Photographic cover. Or did you mean Moskwa TV specifically?

          /MaNi

          NP: +1 - Nevermore (for some weird reason)

          jesper skrev:

          > Norm Tallant skrev:
          > >

          > > Do anyone here know what the story is as to why Talla did Techno
          > Drome to
          > > New Zone to Zoth Ommog? Because it looks like all three labels, to some
          > > extent, overlapped in the same basic period of time (89-91).
          > >
          > > Is it that he meant Zoth to specifically be industrial whereas
          > Techno Drome
          > > was just everything?
          >
          > Yes, isn't that the answer? It's quite common with different labels for
          > different genres. ZO is the EBM/industrial stuff, New Zone more
          > electro/beat-oriented and techno drome simply more techno.
          >
          > Not that I have that many records from these labels since I prefer Talla
          > as a musician in the late 80's to his crappy taste as label manager.
          > *hehe*
          >
          > :D
          >
          > --
          > electronically yours, jesper
          >
          > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
          > www.electronic-obsession.se
          > www.myspace.com/machinepop

        • Norm Tallant
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2009
            I'm having the same problem remembering!

            I think that there was ZYX, and then TDI appeared as a sublabel, then New
            Zone/Music Research/Metamatic started and shortly thereafter ZothO started?

            Wasn't Talla originally a musician and only later on became involved in the
            label stuff? Does anyone have any guesses as to his motivations or insight
            on what was going on back then?

            All the best,
            -Norm

            jesper skrev:

            > Norm Tallant skrev:
            > >

            > > Do anyone here know what the story is as to why Talla did Techno
            > Drome to
            > > New Zone to Zoth Ommog? Because it looks like all three labels, to some
            > > extent, overlapped in the same basic period of time (89-91).
            > >
            > > Is it that he meant Zoth to specifically be industrial whereas
            > Techno Drome
            > > was just everything?
            >
            > Yes, isn't that the answer? It's quite common with different labels for
            > different genres. ZO is the EBM/industrial stuff, New Zone more
            > electro/beat-oriented and techno drome simply more techno.
            >
            > Not that I have that many records from these labels since I prefer Talla
            > as a musician in the late 80's to his crappy taste as label manager.
            > *hehe*
            >
            > :D
            >
            > --
            > electronically yours, jesper
            >
            > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
            > www.electronic-obsession.se
            > www.myspace.com/machinepop

            08:38:00

            Links
          • jesper
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2009
              MaNi skrev:
              > And Jesper, do you honestly mean that Bigod 20 were that much better
              > than the ZO bands, really? I mean The Bog sure but America, Body To
              > Body, Energize (not that they're bad but are they that much better?),
              > the crappy Photographic cover. Or did you mean Moskwa TV specifically?

              I don't fancy the ZO bands a lot and I meant most of Talla's acts.
              Moskwa TV, Two Of China etc. All wasn't great but it had a different
              nerve than many of the artists on ZO. Or is it dementia? :D

              > /MaNi
              > NP: +1 - Nevermore (for some weird reason)

              Yeah, why not... :)

              NP: Ultravox - Ultravox!

              - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 2, 2009
                I get MTV (though I never quite liked Blue Planet) and the TOC LD-cover
                but the first B20 tracks? Well anyway I kind of liked some of the
                ZO-bands, but yes a lot of it was well.... not so.... good. Interesting
                to see how Germany from being a swear word back then has become a mark
                of quality. Remebering how surprised one was when you heard something
                good coming out of Germany and how you hardly bothered checking a band
                out if you heard they were from Germany or relaeased on a German label
                (example: Jok refused to believe The Fair Sex were German since he
                thought they were good). Now it seems to be the other way around, if
                it's from Germany it's good no matter how crap it is. I really need to
                sleep now becoming cranky, sorry Germans... it's wasn't that we had
                anything against the country or the people, there was just so much crap
                coming from that direction at one point (around the early
                ZO/Machinery-period, and well... since then) that we just lost hope in
                anything good coming from there ever again (luckily some really good
                things have and still do). Not that Sweden did any better, but noone
                really expected Sweden to so... In a way maybe it was a compliment, we
                expected more from Germany than what we got, maybe... oh well I'm
                shutting up now "come sweet slumber and shroud me in thy purple cloak"

                NP: Yes - Click Click

                /M

                jesper skrev:

                > MaNi skrev:
                > > And Jesper, do you honestly mean that Bigod 20 were that much better
                > > than the ZO bands, really? I mean The Bog sure but America, Body To
                > > Body, Energize (not that they're bad but are they that much better?),
                > > the crappy Photographic cover. Or did you mean Moskwa TV specifically?
                >
                > I don't fancy the ZO bands a lot and I meant most of Talla's acts.
                > Moskwa TV, Two Of China etc. All wasn't great but it had a different
                > nerve than many of the artists on ZO. Or is it dementia? :D
                >
                > > /MaNi
                > > NP: +1 - Nevermore (for some weird reason)
                >
                > Yeah, why not... :)
                >
                > NP: Ultravox - Ultravox!
                >
                > --
                > electronically yours, jesper
                >
                > - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- -
                > www.electronic-obsession.se
                > www.myspace.com/machinepop

              • jesper
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2009
                  MaNi skrev:
                  > I get MTV (though I never quite liked Blue Planet) and the TOC LD-cover
                  > but the first B20 tracks? Well anyway I kind of liked some of the
                  > ZO-bands, but yes a lot of it was well.... not so.... good. Interesting
                  > to see how Germany from being a swear word back then has become a mark
                  > of quality. ---

                  You summed it up well.

                  > NP: Yes - Click Click

                  So now you're into old rock? :P
                  Oh, you meant Click Click and the _track_ Yes, and not the other way
                  around. :D

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 2, 2009
                    But I am an owner of lonely heart.... :o(