Hello/ Thinking Outside of the Box

  • Charlene K. Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
      Dear PDF,
      Life can get exciting when you start thinking outside of the box!
      Wellness is a key interest of mine as well.
      Wellness is a broad area that can cover the Body, Mind and Spirit.
      While I am interested in all three areas personally, I am keenly
      interested on how I can promote wellness through the Body
      perspective. It seems to me, for a Physical Therapist, the ultimate
      would be developing some sort of Physical program combined with a
      preventative nutritional program. The greatest challenge to this
      idea, for me, would be creating the Physical program and promoting
      it. Here in California, I think you would even need a prescription.
      Although I have read in PT Magazine that some are doing it!
      They seem to have had an existing site. For a new entrepreneurial PT
      this may be a challenge to start, especially if you want to combine
      it with a website.
      The preventative nutritional avenue alone is what I have chosen to do
      right now. I have a Web Store with a well know brand name. In fact,
      I am having a Web Store Grand Opening party tomorrow night. Talk
      about exciting! With this, I can help enhance and extend a quality
      life (the goal of Prevention) without the worries of prescriptions
      and third party payors.
      How does this idea sound? Does anyone else have any other ideas or
      suggestions?

      Charlene

      http://www.smarttiming.com
    • sonnil@nantucket.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2001
        Thank you, to Charlene for starting this site!
        I previously worked in an acute care hospital, doing inpts and
        outpts, everything from ortho to neuro to burn care to pulmonary
        rehab. It was a great way to start my career. Then I had my first
        baby and went back to work only part-time, doing home PT, which I
        truly loved. I really enjoy working with the geriatric population,
        and working with people in their homes felt very "real" in terms of
        helping them to adapt and recover within their own, personal
        environment. Since then I have moved and had another baby, and am
        just now, 1 1/2 years later, ready and excited to start something
        new. I'm thinking a lot about what I want to do, exactly, knowing
        that I want it to be 1) part-time and flexible and 2)fulfilling and
        enjoyable. I live on a small island with a wealthy population
        (especially in the summer), so I feel my possibilities are endless in
        terms of a cashed-based practice. However, I do want to develop
        something that I could take with me to another location if/when we
        move back to the "real" world.
        I am particularly interested at this point in moving into the
        "wellness" arena, focusing on special populations, such as pre-natal
        and post-partum fitness, post-rehab fitness and senior fitness. I am
        considering getting a certification as a personal trainer, but am not
        sure if this is necessary or even advantageous. I do not have a
        "space" for this, so I would need to have arrangements with a health
        club, or do it privately in people's homes. Any thoughts on this
        from anyone?
        Again, thanks, and I'm looking forward to active involvement!
        Sonja Parker

        --- In physical_therapists_in_business@egroups.com, pdefrees@d...
        wrote:
        > Dear Charlene, Thanks for launching this website. I have worked
        as
        > a physical therapist for just over twelve years now. My career as
        > PT has been fulfilling in many ways, but the limitaions and
        > frustrations of managed care has prompted me to start thinking
        > outside the box. I have also become much more interested in
        wellness
        > versus rehabilitation. I know that with the aging population,
        there
        > is a tremendous opportunity for PT's to focus on preventitive
        > programs and wellness. I am also interested in starting a web-
        based
        > business of some sort, but with no business experience per se it is
        > intimidating. Any suggestions you may have would be welcome.
        > Sincerely, pdf
      • Wayne and Charlene Anderson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2001
          Welcome Sonja,
          I apologize that it has taken me so long to write back.  Things have been busy.  Sounds like you do have a great population for Wellness. If you are considering Wellness outside of  the Physical Therapy profession, then click my link below to see how you can promote Wellness with an Internet Franchise.
           I have heard others discuss getting a personal trainer certificate.  It seems that we may be at a disadvantage, because we are also P.T.'s.  If an injury occured we would immediately be at risk because they could go after us as PT's and if you didn't follow your state's practice act while doing personal training, I have heard that you could be in a legal mess.
          Maybe someone has looked into this further and could offer imput as well.
          Good Luck and Welcome,
          Charlene

          "Having your home biz is 90% WHY and 10% HOW.
          If you have the big WHY, Let us show you HOW!"
          www.SMARTtiming.com
          Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 12:58 PM
          Subject: [physical_therapists_in_business] Re: New Member