[physical_therapists_in_business] New Member

  • Denise Hoell
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2000
      I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the other
      members. I have been a practicing PT for 10 years, and working in
      private practice pediatrics for the past 6 years in the state of
      Georgia. I primarily receive my referral base through the county EI
      programs. When I began my practice 6 years ago there was a tremendous
      need for pediatric therapists in the EI setting. I soon found myself
      overworked. In order to expand my practice I branched into
      "contracting". I currently have two part time contracting therapists
      working for me. They choose to do this in order to avoid the
      paperwork/billing issues of direct fee-for-service practice. My
      venture has been both lucrative and rewarding. The current need for
      home-based pediatric therapists has lessened, however, my practice has
      established a wonderful reputation in the area and we continue to do
      well. My biggest challenge is finding new therapists! I often must
      turn down referrals - a terrible business decision. Newspaper
      advertising is very expensive and appears to be hit-or-miss.
      Advertising in PT journals does not necessarily draw local therapists
      and is also very expensive. I would love feedback on any success
      stories, and I would be happy to share my start-up experience with
      others.

      Denise
    • pdefrees@dellnet.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
        Dear Charlene, Thanks for launching this website. I have worked as
        a physical therapist for just over twelve years now. My career as a
        PT has been fulfilling in many ways, but the limitaions and
        frustrations of managed care has prompted me to start thinking
        outside the box. I have also become much more interested in wellness
        versus rehabilitation. I know that with the aging population, there
        is a tremendous opportunity for PT's to focus on preventitive
        programs and wellness. I am also interested in starting a web-based
        business of some sort, but with no business experience per se it is
        intimidating. Any suggestions you may have would be welcome.
        Sincerely, pdf
      • Charlene K. Anderson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
          Dear PDF,
          Life can get exciting when you start thinking outside of the box!
          Wellness is a key interest of mine as well.
          Wellness is a broad area that can cover the Body, Mind and Spirit.
          While I am interested in all three areas personally, I am keenly
          interested on how I can promote wellness through the Body
          perspective. It seems to me, for a Physical Therapist, the ultimate
          would be developing some sort of Physical program combined with a
          preventative nutritional program. The greatest challenge to this
          idea, for me, would be creating the Physical program and promoting
          it. Here in California, I think you would even need a prescription.
          Although I have read in PT Magazine that some are doing it!
          They seem to have had an existing site. For a new entrepreneurial PT
          this may be a challenge to start, especially if you want to combine
          it with a website.
          The preventative nutritional avenue alone is what I have chosen to do
          right now. I have a Web Store with a well know brand name. In fact,
          I am having a Web Store Grand Opening party tomorrow night. Talk
          about exciting! With this, I can help enhance and extend a quality
          life (the goal of Prevention) without the worries of prescriptions
          and third party payors.
          How does this idea sound? Does anyone else have any other ideas or
          suggestions?

          Charlene

          http://www.smarttiming.com
        • sonnil@nantucket.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 19, 2001
            Thank you, to Charlene for starting this site!
            I previously worked in an acute care hospital, doing inpts and
            outpts, everything from ortho to neuro to burn care to pulmonary
            rehab. It was a great way to start my career. Then I had my first
            baby and went back to work only part-time, doing home PT, which I
            truly loved. I really enjoy working with the geriatric population,
            and working with people in their homes felt very "real" in terms of
            helping them to adapt and recover within their own, personal
            environment. Since then I have moved and had another baby, and am
            just now, 1 1/2 years later, ready and excited to start something
            new. I'm thinking a lot about what I want to do, exactly, knowing
            that I want it to be 1) part-time and flexible and 2)fulfilling and
            enjoyable. I live on a small island with a wealthy population
            (especially in the summer), so I feel my possibilities are endless in
            terms of a cashed-based practice. However, I do want to develop
            something that I could take with me to another location if/when we
            move back to the "real" world.
            I am particularly interested at this point in moving into the
            "wellness" arena, focusing on special populations, such as pre-natal
            and post-partum fitness, post-rehab fitness and senior fitness. I am
            considering getting a certification as a personal trainer, but am not
            sure if this is necessary or even advantageous. I do not have a
            "space" for this, so I would need to have arrangements with a health
            club, or do it privately in people's homes. Any thoughts on this
            from anyone?
            Again, thanks, and I'm looking forward to active involvement!
            Sonja Parker

            --- In physical_therapists_in_business@egroups.com, pdefrees@d...
            wrote:
            > Dear Charlene, Thanks for launching this website. I have worked
            as
            > a physical therapist for just over twelve years now. My career as
            > PT has been fulfilling in many ways, but the limitaions and
            > frustrations of managed care has prompted me to start thinking
            > outside the box. I have also become much more interested in
            wellness
            > versus rehabilitation. I know that with the aging population,
            there
            > is a tremendous opportunity for PT's to focus on preventitive
            > programs and wellness. I am also interested in starting a web-
            based
            > business of some sort, but with no business experience per se it is
            > intimidating. Any suggestions you may have would be welcome.
            > Sincerely, pdf
          • Wayne and Charlene Anderson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2001
              Welcome Sonja,
              I apologize that it has taken me so long to write back.  Things have been busy.  Sounds like you do have a great population for Wellness. If you are considering Wellness outside of  the Physical Therapy profession, then click my link below to see how you can promote Wellness with an Internet Franchise.
               I have heard others discuss getting a personal trainer certificate.  It seems that we may be at a disadvantage, because we are also P.T.'s.  If an injury occured we would immediately be at risk because they could go after us as PT's and if you didn't follow your state's practice act while doing personal training, I have heard that you could be in a legal mess.
              Maybe someone has looked into this further and could offer imput as well.
              Good Luck and Welcome,
              Charlene

              "Having your home biz is 90% WHY and 10% HOW.
              If you have the big WHY, Let us show you HOW!"
              www.SMARTtiming.com
              Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 12:58 PM
              Subject: [physical_therapists_in_business] Re: New Member