[physical_therapists_in_business] PT's working with Chiropractors

  • David Seidner
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2000
      Dear Nataly,

      I appreciate your comment on working with Chiropractors. I am a PT who
      went back to get my Chiropactic License many years ago. I was looking
      for autonomy, in addition to enhancing my base of knowledge and skills.
      Chiropractors do not get as strong a base of soft tissue training in
      formal education as PT's. PT's on the other hand do not get a strong
      education of manual therapy skills as the Chiro's do in their formal
      education. Both fields gain most of their extended skills through
      continuing education and post grad. courses. There are some PT's out
      there with excellent manual therapy skills as their are Chiro's with
      soft tissue skills. I suppose it all depends on the individual and
      their approach to patient care. I would agree that the combination of
      having a PT with excellent soft tissue and rehab skills along with a
      Chiropractor who has great manual therapy skills would make a great
      team. Chiropractors are also having a tough time out there. They are
      looking for adjunctive/complementay professionals to survive with
      managed care. Many MD's are hooking up with Chiro's to practice.
      Chiro's cannot bill for PT on Medicare patients. If you are an
      enterprising person who has their Medicare provider number, you may be
      able to work out an arrangement with the Chiro. to treat those patients
      they can't. Warning... be very carful regarding this situation. I
      would contact a health care attorney to set up this type of
      arrangement. If done improperly, you could face big fines. Feel free to
      contact me via e-mail if you have more questions. David Seidner
      PTASF@...