[physical_therapists_in_business] MOVE program

  • Adrienne Mitford
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2000
      Charlene,
      Wow! This is the first time I have been to the site since my last
      post. I had a lot of catching up to do, reading all of the posts. I
      am very interested in the MOVE program. I am just getting it started
      in one of my schools. I would appreciate any information you could
      provide about the program and how it is working with your students.
      Thanks,
      Adrienne
    • Wayne and Charlene Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2000
        Dear Adrienne,
        The MOVE program, in the school that I consult in, was established over nine
        years ago by a couple of teachers, a parent group and a PT, who I consider a
        mentor, colleague and friend. This school is now an international training
        site for the MOVE program. The very activate parent organization sponsors
        the PT consultants. I know another MOVE school that has a parent
        organization paying privately for PT consultation as well. So one thing I
        would say is educate the parents about MOVE. If any get passionate about
        it, they can be your greatest allies.
        Because it is so established here, only the teachers that have been to a
        MOVE training can have a MOVE class. Fortunately we also have 2
        international MOVE teacher trainers here as well.
        I have heard from others that teacher understanding of the value and their
        willingness to change their ciriculum can be the greatest challenge.
        Personally, safety is a great concern of mine. As a consultant I give
        program suggestions and instruct in the best use of the equipment for the
        children, then the teachers and aides carry out the program. Since I am
        not there to supervise, I have to trust that they are doing it correctly
        until I see them again. So teacher and aide inservicing on transfers,
        postitioning and medical challenges especially osteoporosis is essential. (I
        don't want to scare you. I work with a very disabled population of kids,
        that are also very fragile)
        This all having been said, I strongly believe that this program is the way
        to go for significantly challenged children who have limited cognitive
        abilities. For children who have cognitive abilities, the challenge is to
        fit the MOVE program with their academics. If there are several MOVE
        children in a class, it can be quite time challenging.
        For a matter of detail, MOVE is written in their IEP, and parents sign a
        consent and Doctors sign a piece of paper regarding precautions and
        approval.
        Please ask more questions. If I don't have an answer, I will get it for
        you.

        Charlene K. Anderson,PT
        charanderson@...

        http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=physical_therapists_in_business&m=1