[physical_therapists_in_business] New member

  • Lisa Verdi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2000
      I read the letter in the Advance, and was amazed, because my co-worker
      and I were just talking about setting up a web site on the Internet,
      with general PT info. I am a pediatric physical therapist, still an
      employee, but I am very interested in expanding to a fee for service,
      private client business venture. I have been approached by clients to
      do fee for service, but for some reason I felt guilty about doing it! I
      did pro bono work instead! I regret the only market for this is the
      clients who have the money to pay; I would prefer outreaching to the
      less fortunate community, but I've decided that I have to start where
      I'll build the cash reserves. I would like to set up a consultative
      service for children, with and without disabilities. I don't think
      pediatricians have the time to provide parents with all the support and
      info they need, and I, along with a team (educator, ST OT) could work
      directly with the parent in the home, similar to some states EI
      services, but on a fee for service basis. I know there is a market for
      this, but how do I get started?
    • Charlene K. Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2000
        Dear Lisa,
        Have you had a chance to read some of our previous postings? I am also
        a peds PT. I do some consultation and private students 1 day a week.
        I have a part time job at a Child Development Center 2 days a week. I
        see Early intervention children, school aged children and kids through
        a State funded service. My one day a week doing private pays more than
        the other 2 days combined. In what settings do you work? Do you have a
        Regional Center or service which pays for EI services in your state?
        Could you set up your own vendorship with them so that you are working
        for yourself. It doesn't pay as well as private but it could be a
        referral source while you are building up your clientele. I have a
        vendor number, if I marketed myself more, I could get more clients. Do
        you have any local private PT contacts? I have gotten several
        referrals from a mentor/colleague. She only sees kids privately. Her
        schedule is full so when someone sends a client her way she often tells
        me. I owe a lot of my current success to her. Another idea is, if
        your job allows, how about going to your clients doctor visits? It is
        a great way to meet the doctors and create alliances with parents. As
        you probably already know, Peds PT success is about word of mouth
        advertising. I too would be cautious about accepting private work from
        existing clients. Your employer would get upset. You don't want to be
        forced to quit or let your employer know that you want a private
        practice until you are ready to let them know. IF you could establish
        a professional relationship of cross referring with another PT that
        could solve that problem.
        Please ask more questions and give feedback!
        Charlene

        "lisa verdi" <damom649-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/physical_therapists_in_bu
        siness/?start=24
        > I read the letter in the Advance, and was amazed, because my co-worker
        > and I were just talking about setting up a web site on the Internet,
        > with general PT info. I am a pediatric physical therapist, still an
        > employee, but I am very interested in expanding to a fee for service,
        > private client business venture. I have been approached by clients to
        > do fee for service, but for some reason I felt guilty about doing it!
        > did pro bono work instead! I regret the only market for this is the
        > clients who have the money to pay; I would prefer outreaching to the
        > less fortunate community, but I've decided that I have to start where
        > I'll build the cash reserves. I would like to set up a consultative
        > service for children, with and without disabilities. I don't think
        > pediatricians have the time to provide parents with all the support
        and
        > info they need, and I, along with a team (educator, ST OT) could work
        > directly with the parent in the home, similar to some states EI
        > services, but on a fee for service basis. I know there is a market
        for
        > this, but how do I get started?

      • swetha302002
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
          Hi,

          This is Ram PT and i am doing sub-contract services to
          HHA's/clinics.I have questions to start outpatient therapy services
          like'
          1,Do i need medicre prov # to start a clinic
          2,Is it good to start a clinic with dr's offices or be a free
          standing clinic,
          3,Do i have to know some dr's before starting or to do marketing
          after opening a clinic,
          4,How can i find how many therapy clinics are in each city or
          existing practices on sale,
          i will be glad to hear your opinions and guidances in this matter.

          Thanks
          Ram
        • brian richman
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 11, 2003
            You need your own medicare # and I don't think you can use a doctors office if he also is a medicare provider unless you are renting seperate space that he doesn't use to treat his own patients. Call medicare to get the specifics. 866 454 9007 in the state of florida. Where are you?
            It is always best to have a referral source, but it is not necessary. You just have to spend time and money to market. Health fairs, newspapers, senior centers...
            Look in your yellow pages for other clinics in your area.
            BUt most importantly, you need to get an occupational lic from the city and state your clinc will be in. and don't forget your malpractice insurance and liability insurance for the clinic.
            Good luck
            Brian Richman, MPT

            swetha302002 <swetha302002@...> wrote:

               Hi,

                  This is Ram PT and i am doing sub-contract services to
            HHA's/clinics.I have questions to start outpatient therapy services
            like'
            1,Do i need medicre prov # to start a clinic
            2,Is it good to start a clinic with dr's offices or be a free
            standing clinic,
            3,Do i have to know some dr's before starting or to do marketing
            after opening a clinic,
            4,How can i find how many therapy clinics are in each city or
            existing practices on sale,
            i will be glad to hear your opinions and guidances in this matter.

                Thanks
                Ram

          • KARTHYAYANI KUNCHAPPA
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 22, 2003
              Hi Ram,
              I am sorry for the delayed response from me. I could not reply right a way because my internet had problem to log in.

              here are the answers for your questions with regard to start a clinic.
              1. To start a clinic you donot have to have a medicare number provided if you are treating only selected private patients, worker's comp pts, and MVA pts.

              2. How ever it is not too hard to get medicare provider number. If you need any guidence to get it  and as long as your are a  P.T. licence holder in any state, I can help you.

              3.If you think the Dr  that you know is a good source for the referrals, it is good to have a clinic to attach with him. I donot see any problem with that.

              4. If you know few doctors, you should start marketing by printing some prochures with informations about the insurances that you can accept, the modalities that you can use in your clinic and the benefits by P.T. Give these to the doctors and  tell them that you will be starting a clinic real soon and the referrals will be appreaciated from them.
              5. As long as you can prove that you are a good therapist by making pts happy, i donot think that you have to worry about the number of clinics in your town. Keep up good repition which will automatically generate business.
              6. To find about the P.T. clinics in your area, you can look in yellow pages.

              7. To get the used equipments you contact Cyman therapy people or if you want to lease new epuipments for a good deal I can refer to some one else.

              Hope I had answered your questions in this letter.

              swetha302002 <swetha302002@...> wrote:

                 Hi,

                    This is Ram PT and i am doing sub-contract services to
              HHA's/clinics.I have questions to start outpatient therapy services
              like'
              1,Do i need medicre prov # to start a clinic
              2,Is it good to start a clinic with dr's offices or be a free
              standing clinic,
              3,Do i have to know some dr's before starting or to do marketing
              after opening a clinic,
              4,How can i find how many therapy clinics are in each city or
              existing practices on sale,
              i will be glad to hear your opinions and guidances in this matter.

                  Thanks
                  Ram

            • sriram srinivasan
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 17, 2003
                Hi
                    I am trying to set a out-patient physicaltherapy clinic and i have some questions regarding that.
                1, can i buy a existing clinic with medicare#
                2,how can i find one if allowed to buy one,
                3,how long does it take to get a medicare# and can we see patients in the same clinic
                4,what is a tel no to get these info through medicare in michigan ,
                i would appericiate if any of you could chip in and eagerly waiting for reply
                                                                                      thank you,
                                                                                      Ram P.T

              • Evelyn Capdevila
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
                  Here in Florida the rules might be different but, yes you can buy a clinic w/an existing medicare #.  However, it's pretty costly and I'm not sure if eventually you would have to change the # to reflect new ownership.  Question #2 I don't know the answer to.  Question #3:  It doesn't take that long...if I remember it takes about 60 days, and you can see pts in the clinic from the date that medicare receives your application.  Question #4, you have to check the intermediary for Medicare in Michigan.  you can go to CMS's website and look that up or just call them, Medicare is very helpful.
                  Evelyn C, MPT, CWS

                  sriram srinivasan <swetha302002@...> wrote:
                  Hi
                      I am trying to set a out-patient physicaltherapy clinic and i have some questions regarding that.
                  1, can i buy a existing clinic with medicare#
                  2,how can i find one if allowed to buy one,
                  3,how long does it take to get a medicare# and can we see patients in the same clinic
                  4,what is a tel no to get these info through medicare in michigan ,
                  i would appericiate if any of you could chip in and eagerly waiting for reply
                                                                                        thank you,
                                                                                        Ram P.T

                  Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now