New Member, New Resource and a Question

  • susanpenner
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
      I just uploaded a file on my textbook, Introduction to Health Care
      Economics & Financial Management: Fundamental Concepts with
      Practical Applications, 2004, is published by Lippincott Williams &
      Wilkins. ISBN: 0-7817-4019-3 http://www.lww.com

      I'd like to let health care professionals know about this book--if
      they work within organizations or institutions, the book can be a
      reference for budgeting, financial analysis and the preparation of
      business plans or grant proposals. The book is also a useful
      reference for practitioners who consider starting a private practice
      or who run their own office.

      You can contact Dr. Penner at drpenner@...

      Question: How much information do you get in PT school about
      economics and financial management skills such as budgeting and
      writing a business plan? I appreciate your responses. Thanks &
      take care!
    • RSGPT
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2004
        economics, finances, business plans etc. Most likely since most "New
        Grads" were not going to enter private practice or be in a position
        which would require that type of info since we typically were
        expected to start out as "new grads." Not to mention that very few
        of the PT's I've ran across have the interest or drive to put that
        much work into becoming a business owner. In my experience however,
        I've been bit by the entrepraneur bug and am always looking to learn
        from anyone who is willing to teach or provide info that might be
        valuable. The small business administrations (www.sba.gov) has
        proven to be a valuable place also. I've been researching this
        off/on for almost two years and at some point will make the jump into
        practice for myself and my wife (who's an OTR/L). So, thank you for
        the book info. I'm planning on ordering a book via the APTA's
        private practice section on starting a practice also.

        Ryan S. Gephart, PT, CSCS

        --- In physical_therapists_in_business@yahoogroups.com, "susanpenner"
        <drpenner@p...> wrote:

        > I just uploaded a file on my textbook, Introduction to Health Care
        > Economics & Financial Management: Fundamental Concepts with
        > Practical Applications, 2004, is published by Lippincott Williams &
        > Wilkins. ISBN: 0-7817-4019-3 http://www.lww.com
        >
        > I'd like to let health care professionals know about this book--if
        > they work within organizations or institutions, the book can be a
        > reference for budgeting, financial analysis and the preparation of
        > business plans or grant proposals. The book is also a useful
        > reference for practitioners who consider starting a private
        practice
        > or who run their own office.
        >
        > You can contact Dr. Penner at drpenner@p...
        >
        > Question: How much information do you get in PT school about
        > economics and financial management skills such as budgeting and
        > writing a business plan? I appreciate your responses. Thanks &
        > take care!
      • Susan Penner
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2004
          Thanks so much for your reply and feedback!  I'm going to try to market this book to practicioners as well as students, and see what reception it gets.  I'm fortunate to have Lippincott as a publisher.   Take care!