How do I start?

  • edmpt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2003
      Hi all,

      I am a rather amitious person, and would like to know if anyone can
      point me in the right direction. I would like to start my own
      practice, but right now, I have no idea where to even begin. What
      kind of buisiness licenses/insurance do i need? Once that is taken
      care of how do I start the billing side of things? Do I need to get
      some sort of accredidation for billing? Do I need my own UPIN for
      insurances other than Medicare?
      Thanks for any info you can provide me..
      Ed Sporbert
    • RSGPT
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2003
        Ed-

        I've been researching this for a while now and can empathise with
        your frustration. If you go to PTManager.com you can download a
        timeline for starting a practice which is somewhat helpful. The
        magazine Advance Rehabilitation for Directors usually has one or two
        rehab business articles in them each month which does help provide
        some information also. It is free to register also. In the Advance
        for PT's/PTA's you'll find CEU type courses in the back for starting
        a private practice. One of them is at www.medicalarts4u.com (Peter
        Guske PT). I recently purchased for $35 a "Starting a Professional
        Private Practice" guide by Iris Kimberg, MS PT,OTR (in NYC). She can
        be reached at info@... She usually issues the guide
        as part of a CEU course but if you have no plans to go to NY anytime
        soon, you could just purchase the guide. Both are available for
        consultant fees.

        As far as the business end of things go, I would go to the Small
        Business Administration (www.sba.gov) and as for a Small Business
        start up kit to be sent to you (free). Within the SBA, there is a
        group called "SCORE," which is composed of retired executives who
        hold seminars ( I think about $30 ). I found this seminar to be very
        helpful. I signed up for a mentor who did call but he was more
        interested in pushing me towards starting a home health business
        which is not my schtick. Anyway, there are local SBA's all over and
        each major metro area should have a SCORE chapter nearby them as
        well. www.nolo.com is a legal website which also can provide business
        related general legal info.

        The other option would be to contact a fellow PT in private practice
        in your general area or your family physician or a local
        chiropractor. They all have to go through essentially the same
        thing.

        I hope this helps, at least through the websites or people listed
        above, you should have a better idea of where to start. I'n not sure
        what to tell you regarding billing at this point as I have yet to get
        that far.

        Good luck,

        Ryan Gephart, PT, CSCS
        rsgpt@...

        --- In physical_therapists_in_business@yahoogroups.com, "edmpt"
        <Bikednhillfast@a...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am a rather amitious person, and would like to know if anyone can
        > point me in the right direction. I would like to start my own
        > practice, but right now, I have no idea where to even begin. What
        > kind of buisiness licenses/insurance do i need? Once that is taken
        > care of how do I start the billing side of things? Do I need to
        get
        > some sort of accredidation for billing? Do I need my own UPIN for
        > insurances other than Medicare?
        > Thanks for any info you can provide me..
        > Ed Sporbert
      • bikednhillfast
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 24, 2003
          Thanks Ryan, any info is very helpful